Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 PM
jbattles

It did have a fine picture it was a great set I had a admiral remote for a rat tuning and certain keys would turn on - off and so on, so I did not need the oem remote. In Atlanta zenith, rca and Sylvania's were everywhere. I have a soft spot for Sylvania and zenith.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I tried Motorola and Zenith clickers which work to a point. The remote in my original post is fully compatible, it just needs some DeOxit.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
I would not on the Sylvania just because the ic chips inside going to be hard to find to replace. I had scrap a few nice ones because I could not get the chips. When gte sold Sylvania to Phillips. Phillips also got ecg replacement parts from gte. When they did Phillips discontinued a lot of Sylvania designed parts. Its a shame too those sets were about 5 or 6 years old when they did stop making replacement parts/

I think that set I had the Tripler burned out and I did not have one and times where changing and I replaced it with a new zenith that a insurance company gave me because some vandals broke into a house and busted the screen out. Popped a tube in and watched the hell out of it.
If you are talking about the 15-37700-1 and 15-37701-1 (ECG792/793, in later chassis, the ECG794) processors, I don't think his E48 uses them. I had a similar set in the early 90s and had no problem with an Atari or NES connected. I did have to randomly replace the stupid 1 ohm 1W fusible resistors for the vertical - they would go at turn on, and a recap of the vertical fixed that.

The ECG792/793 pair was obsoleted, but remnants remain on eBay and with old-school distributorships. I have one of each - in original NAP bags.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 AM
jbattles

Jon post some pics of the chassis please I would like to go memory lane. This brought back memories of when my dad and I had our shop.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 AM
David Thomas

I always liked working on Sylvania Supersets. It seemed like they always produced a fantastic picture, and were relatively easy to service.

Even in the 1990's, there were a couple of IC's that were nearly impossible to find. If I remember right (this is going back 20 years), the most common problem caused by the discontinued IC was no color. Without the internet to help, it was much harder in those days to locate discontinued and rare parts.

I remember one customer in particular who chewed me out royally, and accused me of trying to somehow cheat him when I told him I couldn't repair his Superset because I couldn't get the discontinued chip. He then took his set to another local shop, who charged him $25 for an estimate....and ended up telling him the same thing.
Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Jon post some pics of the chassis please I would like to go memory lane. This brought back memories of when my dad and I had our shop.
I haven't had the back off - I still need a proper 1/4" drive (I was using a 1/4" drive multi-bit screwdriver and the end got stripped) - but I do have this for now, which I think is cool.

It was easy enough to get this screw out by hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sylvania E48-2 convergence controls.jpg (94.1 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-03-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM
jbattles

Yep that chassis had two chips that was discontinued. 1 for color and the other was for sync separator/osc ic for vert and horz. I had plenty of the color but no sync chip. When the sync chip would go out the picture would look it was scrambled like the old pay cable stations would look.

Thank you Jon take your time, but that's it so from what I see so far. Man that's a great set pop a zenith tube in and the picture will blow you away. We if had the internet back in the day hard to find parts would be easier find. If I remember right I had a that Sylvania had a rat tuning set that was really nice cabinet I waited years to run across some chips but I scraped.
Think Atari 2600 would be ok I think it was Nintendo's was not good to some sets. I think that was because the rapid sync and color changes would over tax the ics and make the chips run hot and then go out.

Last edited by jbattles; 07-03-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Good to know that they cross to the ECG792/793. I'll keep an eye out for extras.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Yep that chassis had two chips that was discontinued. 1 for color and the other was for sync separator/osc ic for vert and horz. I had plenty of the color but no sync chip. When the sync chip would go out the picture would look it was scrambled like the old pay cable stations would look.

Thank you Jon take your time, but that's it so from what I see so far. Man that's a great set pop a zenith tube in and the picture will blow you away. We if had the internet back in the day hard to find parts would be easier find. If I remember right I had a that Sylvania had a rat tuning set that was really nice cabinet I waited years to run across some chips but I scraped.
Think Atari 2600 would be ok I think it was Nintendo's was not good to some sets. I think that was because the rapid sync and color changes would over tax the ics and make the chips run hot and then go out.
I replaced the screen shot on the last page. The new one still doesn't do it justice, but gives a far better impression of the color gamut.

If you look closely the picture curves downward at the top and there's a bit of wave near the bottom. Could the sync separator be causing that?

Easier access to older TVs, parts... well, just about anything older is one of the things I like best about the internet.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Good to know that they cross to the ECG792/793. I'll keep an eye out for extras.
Your set has only the 15-37701-1, an ECG793.

E42 and earlier chassis used the 792/793 pair, but in your set, instead of the 15-37700-1, you have a 15-43212-1, which crosses to an ECG820. It is the improved version of the old 15-37700 chip, which produced flagging sync/sync unlock, or an out of freq lock when a VCR was connected. They also had problems with the VIR signal, so Sylvania had to upgrade the chip. For this reason, they obsoleted the 15-37700 chip once stock was depleted. I'd venture to say that half of the chips replaced did exactly as they were designed, and that they were replaced in error. Huge learning curve when you couldn't get stable horizontal drive. We figured it out with a VA48, and later had that confirmed at a service seminar. The VA48 ouptut lacked the VIR signal, and told us that the set would operate normally, and act up on VIR signals. Only one station here transmitted VIR at the time. The VCR problem was another headache. My Superset was an E48-5, a close cousin to yours.

Keep your normal/service switch happy - mine got dirty, and I had a nice vertical bounce. Flicking the switch a few times clears it up. Great CRTs..

Audiokarma
Old 07-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Here's the layout for the E48...

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 12-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Here's the layout for the E48...
Super, thanks.

I flicked the service switch back and forth a few times. The picture still dips at the top, but the bottom seems to have improved.

Huh? The CRT *isn't* a 25VDMP22? I thought that was the only delta-gun Sylvania CRT with the dark face.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-03-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Super, thanks.

I flicked the service switch back and forth a few times. The picture still dips at the top, but the bottom seems to have improved.

Huh? The CRT *isn't* a 25VDMP22? I thought that was the only delta-gun Sylvania CRT with the dark face.
There are far more black matrix (you call it dark face) CRTs than the VDM. Sylvania used the latest - the VDM was long in the tooth by then... Sylvania used the 25VCZ, VDM abd VFA CRTs in the E41, 44, 45, 46 and 48. The schematic for the E48 shows a VDM, and the E45 layout states the CRT type is determined by the cabinet - ears/no ears, I guess...

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 07-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh yes I have seen and heard of plenty of black matrix CRTs, but the VDM was the only delta I knew of with such dark glass.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Time to fulfill your request. I just had to find out for sure what CRT is in it (25VFAP22), so I used an adjustable wrench to get the back off. I just updated the Flickr album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacec...57654866509318
Audiokarma