Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

The romance with color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lindsly
Consumers traded out the early color TVs mainly due to reliability issues. Even the best ones burned through horizontal output tubes, dampers, rectifiers, circuit breakers, convergence board coils, flybacks and vertical components on a regular basis. People watched them several hours every day so things overheated and boards got brittle. Eventually it was fix the TV again or buy a bigger boat. Few could afford both.

Those unreliable components were engineered out one by one. Each generation improved until the current generation of solid state TVs is sufficiently reliable that it required FCC regulations to mandate a trade out. That's what HDTV is all about.
Early on people put up with the reliability issues as a trade-off for the magnificent color images beamed right into their living rooms. As color became more wide-spread I think we lost our love affair with the color set.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
zenith mad

Hello everybody! Yes the Zenith I have is an almost all tubes set. Despite the fact that it does not have the common "chromacolor" logo on it,it is equipped with a black matrix tube. It also has the common handwired metal chassis. Not many color pograms to watch at the time. I think my parents bought it because at that time there were rumors of incoming color broadcast. I remember watching experimental color tests at that time as well as the olympic games but nothing more. It is not a modified set, it is all original as manufactured by Zenith. I will try to make photos of the inside. I had another Zenith color tv (chassis 24MC32). It was a round tube set modified to be used with our tv standard. I recall it was bought by my grandfather during the sixties. Zenith was a very popular brand here in Florence during sixties and early seventies as there was an importer who used to import them directly from the production line and then modify them. I remember not many years ago I contacted that man and he brought me to a warehouse where there were many round tube color tvs still in the box together with chasses of equally old sets pehaps used to pick up spare parts and many many other old bw and color Zenith tvs!!! All that has been trashed not more than two years ago...What a shame!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi
Hello everybody! Yes the Zenith I have is an almost all tubes set. Despite the fact that it does not have the common "chromacolor" logo on it,it is equipped with a black matrix tube. It also has the common handwired metal chassis. Not many color pograms to watch at the time. I think my parents bought it because at that time there were rumors of incoming color broadcast. I remember watching experimental color tests at that time as well as the olympic games but nothing more. It is not a modified set, it is all original as manufactured by Zenith. I will try to make photos of the inside. I had another Zenith color tv (chassis 24MC32). It was a round tube set modified to be used with our tv standard. I recall it was bought by my grandfather during the sixties. Zenith was a very popular brand here in Florence during sixties and early seventies as there was an importer who used to import them directly from the production line and then modify them. I remember not many years ago I contacted that man and he brought me to a warehouse where there were many round tube color tvs still in the box together with chasses of equally old sets pehaps used to pick up spare parts and many many other old bw and color Zenith tvs!!! All that has been trashed not more than two years ago...What a shame!!!

That is fascinating! Thanks for providing the "missing piece" of your story... I work with a guy from Rome, who came to America in the early 70s. (Off-topic... It's funny that we have so many Italians building the Viper, an American sports car, lol)

Anyways... His father used to make many trips back/forth between Italy and the US, and he loved big Fords, and fast cars, so a lot of cars went back/forth with him. One day I mentioned a guy in Florence had an old Zenith TV up in his attic, but neither one of us could figure out "why" since it cost a lot of $$$ when new, but wouldn't be much more than a paperweight in Italy.

Knowing that Zenith built PAL sets, it makes a lot more sence. The missing hue control on your set certainly appears "factory". Danged if ya don't learn something new everyday!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
zenith mad

here are the pictures of my zenith

Hi there! As promised here are few pics of my "pal Zenith".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenith inside.JPG (60.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Hv cage.JPG (60.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg zenith working.JPG (59.8 KB, 103 views)
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
zenith mad

And my most treasured...

This is a picture of my most loved tv set...Too bad it doesn't work...very difficul to find a more vintage color tv set here in Italy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rca victor CT 100.JPG (58.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 PM
zenith mad

the evolution of color tv in my family...

The Sony set was bought in 1971. Since we could receive secam programs from the near Corsica (France) we bought this small Trinitron that only works in secam L. It has a perfect picture and never a repair in 35 years!!! The other is our first "modern" Pal tv set. It is a Loewe Opta sensotronic (it has an ultrasonic remote control and its keypad and tv controls board is entirely made by touch sensors.) and it was bought at the end of 1976! Useless to say it still works well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony 13" secam.JPG (58.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg loewe opta.JPG (59.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
This is a picture of my most loved tv set...Too bad it doesn't work...very difficul to find a more vintage color tv set here in Italy!
Wow you have a CT-100...how did it got there? It was originally in Italy, or did you have it shipped from the States?

A lot of folks here in Brazil who are vintage radio and TV set collectors are people from Italian ancestors. It seems that Italian people are very prone to preserve antique stuff.

I noticed that you have a little Donald Duck on top of your CT-100. From what I read, Disney characters are very popular in Italy...are they still? Here in Brazil we used to be one of the countries where Disney comic books were the most sold in the world, alongside with the US and some European countries. I can almost say that Donald Duck made me learn to read. Growing up during the 80's I enjoyed the "Golden Age" of Disney comic books here, which lasted from 1950 to the mid 90's. They sold by millions, and there were very different types of Disney comic books. Unfortunately, in the 90's the publishing company that has the Disney rights here went into a crisis, and their comic book section was one of the most affected. Things are sadly different today, you almost don't see this magazines on the newsstands, and they are very thin, with a small number of pages. I also believe that maybe these stories, and the reading of comic books in general, might be "outdated" for the young generation who are growing up using the Internet. In a few years, the printing of this magazines here might end. I hope they are having more success in Italy.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

What a unique TV! I've never heard or seen anything like your zenith set. What makes it so interesting is that its a true zenith made TV for export. I noticed it uses a "9B23P70" chassis which was not a chassis number of anykind on the american market. The letter "B" would indicate its a 1971 model year set. Is this the exact tv your parents bought in 1969? Are there '69 date codes on the original tubes? Chassis layout looks similar to 1971 models using the 12B14C50 series.
Extremely similar to US market zeniths by exterior styling and chassis layout.
Can you take a picture of the tube layout diagram? Im very interested in learning more about this set.

Last edited by drh4683; 01-04-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:20 AM
zenith mad

More on export Zenith

Hello! The CT 100 is a gift from a friend of mine. Since he knows how much I do love old televisions he bought it for me several years ago from a shop in New York. It is an unmodified american tv set but it was alredy not working when i received it. The picture tube has the three filaments burned out. I'd need time to start to try and restore it. Yes,Donald Duck ,Uncle Scrooge and company are very popular here in Italy. The funny thing it is in my childhood I wasn't interested in Walt Disney comics (I wasn't interested in comics at all): I started read them as an adult. My father ever told me the Zenith was bought in 1969 but since he is not particularly interested in old stuff he could mistake the date. I was only 3 in 1969 so I can't be sure about the date. Nothing is shown on the back which can lead to know the exact manufacturing date. I tried to take a picture of the tubes diagram but the picture came out blurred. I will try to take another picture with daylight. It has eleven tubes, transistorized chroma and color drivers. The vhf tuner is tube type and the uhf one is transistorized.
It has a chrominance "dura module".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube layout.JPG (59.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg inside.JPG (60.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg chroma demod..JPG (59.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg zenith back.JPG (60.3 KB, 36 views)
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Hello! The CT 100 is a gift from a friend of mine. Since he knows how much I do love old televisions he bought it for me several years ago from a shop in New York. It is an unmodified american tv set but it was alredy not working when i received it. The picture tube has the three filaments burned out. I'd need time to start to try and restore it.
There are five known CT-100s overseas. Two in Italy, one each in Germany, France, and England. Those in Germany and France are operational. The 15GP22 in the England-base set is good.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:33 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Hey Captain Video, thanks for the new signature line!!! LOL too funny! I'm used to just being called a cheap SOB, but your way sounds much nicer!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey, you are welcome! That's funny, because I didn't thougt of this phrase as a joke, as a way to say that Italians are "cheap" . It was simply something that I observed during this almost-decade I spent collecting vintage stuff: a very good number of folks involved in the collecting and trading of antiquities are people of Italian origin. God bless them, because here in Brazil ( I believe that it is also true in America as well ) the majority of the population tends toward the mentality that everything new is good, and that the old things deserve nothing than go to the trash can. I know that a lot of people look at me like I am some kind of weirdo. Almost everybody I meet this days is drooling over the plasma sets that are on the stores...except me.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
zenith mad

being "cheap" and italian...

Hello Captain Video! Unfortunately most of italian people think that new is good, old it is something good for the trash only! Just because we have the chance to have lots of antique sites in every town (too many in my opinion...) it doesn't mean that people doesn't like and buy plasmas and (junk)lcds... Unfortunately the "flat fever" corrupted the majority of people here so shopping for a good "old" crt based television is quite difficult. I can't really understand how people with average vision capability can't recognise a bad picture. This applies to every lcd tv I saw! No one with decent picture! This "use and trash" mania applies to everything, from pcs and printers ( replacement of cartridges sometimes cost more than a new machine) to domestic appliances (I use to pick up and restore them too...). We'll soon find ourselves full up to the neck in a sea of rubbish!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

The "throw away" mentality

More and more, we live in this kind of world, where everything looks like to have gone out of factory just to be discarded at the first opportunity. A few weeks ago, my DVD player, which is a very good player, a Panasonic that I bought in 2004, when these devices were still kind of expensive, appeared with a little problem. The plug was becoming extremely hot with just a couple of hours of use. I took the DVD player to be examined by an authorized Panasonic tech. When my mother new of this, she said: "Why don't you just throw it away, after all DVD players are just so cheap, you can buy a new one." I was shocked to hear this. I went to the repair shop anyway. As it turns out, it was just a bad plug, the replacement plug and cord cost me only US$ 4,00.
Audiokarma