Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

thats gotta be one of the last ones "Zenith" put out. Zenith did have stuff assembled in a plant in Mexico by the early 80's. If you check out the early System 3's it had already started. I remember my Grandpa (who worked in the shop as well) cussing about that. He really pushed the "made in the USA" thing.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Andy, Has anyone figured out what caused the CRT's to be bad? Was it a Goldstar thing or did Zenith screw up? I knew the tubes were bad during those years, but never knew why.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seems like old times...

I dug a little deeper into the "Zenith Electronics Corp." site, (not LG). Zenith lists several analog sets, in various screen sizes, in their current? lineup. Including 2 large "wood" consoles in traditional cabinet style. It seems strange, and 60's like, seeing these large oak sets with speakers behind sculptured cutouts on each side of the pix tube. I wonder if the remotes say "Space Command" on em?
Old 06-24-2004, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy zenith traditonal models

...it looks like something from the 60s but then this is what a real TV should look like!! ..not a black or silver box in the corner but a real piece of furniture!!

This is the 25" Zenith "traditional" model ...there is 27" as well.

Pity I cannot by one here in Australia!
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffhs
[...]
antenna/cable connector, clearly states "Zenith Electronics Corp., Glenview, Ill. 60025", so this set must have been made before Gold Star took over the company. However, the set was manufactured in Mexico, which leads me to believe Zenith already had moved its main plant there by the mid-'90s; the Glenview, Illinois address was likely that of their business and administration offices at the time.
That'd be right, though while I don't remember the exact dates, I tend to suspect your TV was made after LG bought a majority state in Zenith, but before they took them over outright.

I have a 25" Zenith Sentry 2 (also Mexican-made) that I bought new in late 1993, and I remember feeling a pang of depression about a year later when the news came out that LG was buying 51% of Zenith...

Anyway, by sheer coincidence, the past couple of weeks around here have been scattered "Spring clean up days" (large-trash pickup days) for many of the communities around here, and last weekend I picked up a 27" Zenith Advanced System 3 off the curb. It was made in January 1991 and was manufactured (assembled) in Zenith's plant in Springfield, MO. Anyone know exactly when Zenith stopped making TVs there? I figure this has got to be just about the last model year for any "Made in USA" Zeniths, though.

Normally, I wouldn't have been interested in such a recently-made TV, but I guess I couldn't resist, given that this was probably one of Zenith's nicer table-model sets at that time, and might make an easy replacement for my aformentioned low-end Sentry 2.

BTW, considering this relatively late-model TV was being tossed out, I fully expected it to be broken, so I was surprised to discover that it actually does seem to function quite well. However, when the power is switched off, a small roundish red 'spot' a couple of inches in diameter appears in the center of the CRT for a few seconds before it fades away (sorta reminicent of some old color TVs where the picture would collapse into a small rainbow "burst" for a few seconds while the HV caps discharged). Any idea if this is harmless, or could it be a sign of disaster to come? (thus explaining why it was tossed in the trash...)
Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carmine
For those of you who lament the disappearance of the US electronics industry, you can at least take a stand against our losing large appliance manufacturing too. I'm pretty sure that Whirlpool stuff is still made in Benton Harbor, MI...
Also, don't forget Maytag and Amana appliances. Maytag (which recently bought Amana) is still based in Newton, IA (though for how long that will remain is the subject of some debate), and most Maytag and Amana appliances are still made in the USA, with most of their 'core' products still made in Newton, IA and Amana, IA respectively.

Are Speed Queen / Amana washers still made in Ripon, WI?

Also, I would suspect that most GE / Hotpoint large appliances (ovens, ranges, dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.) would also still be made in the USA, but I haven't looked recently. [If anyone knows differently, feel free to correct me.]
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I can say that it's pretty hard, if not impossible to find a made in USA Freezer (Canadian would be OK too, since it's not a third-world country that exploits its workers.) After shopping around for one about 18 months ago, I decided not to add any more money to the pockets of the greedy, and bought a 20-year-old "Gibson" for $50. Still working good, and I'm $350 ahead.

I just bought an antique (30s?) electric oscillating fan from eBay rather than another throw-away piece of crap from China. Fits in nice with my living room decor, unlike some more plastic garbage.

Actually, I've used this approach for many of the things in my house...

Fridge/stove, Kenmore (1965)
Maytag Dishwasher came w/house (1995)
Garage fridge, Kelvinator (1947)

All 5 TVs are Zenith from 1958-1990 (I have more, but they aren't really used daily)

Audio system, 1967 Magnavox
Kenmore Washer (1968) Dryer (1983)
Kenmore Vacuum (1975) and newer US-made Oreck
Transoceanic Zenith radio (1972)

I will confess to a newer DVD/CD player, since that technology didn't exist back in the day. Also have a Sharp above the stove microwave, but only to save counter space. If I had room, I'd junk that barely-legible-LED POS and find an old Chrome Amana radarange, like the one we still use at work.

My '79 Zenith Chromacolor Space Command probably sees the most use out of all my TVs, several hours a day, and I don't feel like I'm giving up anything to modern TVs. I really don't need Stereo/Hi-Def to watch the crap that's on TV anyways.

Last edited by Carmine; 06-24-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally posted by andy
That spot after you turn the set off is completely harmless. Some CRTs do it for some reason.
Don't know why a color tube would do this. However, this would happen quite a bit with b&w CRTs in older sets; it's caused by the cathode still being hot enough, and the HV filter capacitors having enough of a charge after the set was turned off, to form an electron beam (stationary in the middle of the screen, of course, because the deflection circuits were not operating at this point). This spot could burn the phosphors in the center of the CRT, which is why set owners were often advised to turn up the brightness control just before turning the set off. In any case, the spot would disappear in a few moments, after the caps discharged and/or the CRT cathode cooled.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Cory Heisterkamp

Carmine, I think you'd like the Radarange page I put together the other day
Chrome!

I'm contemplating building a place, all exterior and interior circa 1963! Of course I have to have a microwave and the Radaranges didn't come out till '67, but I don't think anyone is going to be that picky about the kitchen. Now would you believe I don't own a color roundie!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:13 PM
<----Zenith C845

Re: Seems like old times...

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
I dug a little deeper into the "Zenith Electronics Corp." site, (not LG). Zenith lists several analog sets, in various screen sizes, in their current? lineup. Including 2 large "wood" consoles in traditional cabinet style. It seems strange, and 60's like, seeing these large oak sets with speakers behind sculptured cutouts on each side of the pix tube. I wonder if the remotes say "Space Command" on em?
Answering your question about the remotes first, no, I don't think so. Zenith quit using the Space Command designation for its remote control TVs some years ago; the new remotes, at least the ones I've seen recently, do not have the slogan printed anywhere on them. However, about five years ago, I saw a Zenith TV with a remote control known as the "Concierge series"; the name was probably, even likely, just an advertising gimmick as the remote was just your basic color-TV remote hand unit, nothing more and nothing less. These remotes were used with Zenith's hotel/motel TVs.

As to the console TVs in Zenith's 2004 product line, I agree with you. It does seem strange that any TV manufacturer would still be making console sets in fine wood cabinets (RCA has, or at least had, one console model in its product line a few years ago, and may still have it today). But Zenith and RCA may still be trying to convince consumers that they can build good sets, although I cannot help but wonder if those nice Zenith console cabinets have the same troublesome Goldstar chassis and CRTs in them.

The new sets in black plastic or silver-color cabinets aren't that bad looking; in fact, I think RCA/Thomson's new sets in their "diamond mist" silver color cabinets look as if they would fit in just perfectly with the decor of today's living/family rooms, and the earlier ebony-gray cabinets look fairly nice with most decors, IMO, as well. However, these sets can always be put in or on a wood entertainment center or TV stand if the appearance of the cabinet by itself is bothersome. I put my 1999 RCA XL-100 19" set on the top shelf of a modified oak utility cart, with the VCR and cable box directly below; I use the storage area at the bottom of the cabinet for storage of video tapes and such.

BTW, another poster mentioned that he doesn't need stereo sound or high-definition to watch the low-class stuff on most broadcast and cable networks. I agree. I am in no hurry whatsoever to get a high-definition TV and will not even consider it until the day comes when the local cable company has all seven Cleveland TV stations in HD (right now it only has two), the programming gets a lot better than it is now, and my old reliable CRT sets no longer work well, not necessarily in that order.

As to stereo sound: Most TVs with so-called stereo sound have two small transistor radio quality speakers at either side of or below the CRT; the sets are mostly table models, which are not nearly wide enough to provide good stereo separation--even most console "stereo" TV cabinets are not wide enough to separate the speakers enough for good stereo quality. I think the whole idea of stereo television was just an advertising gimmick to sell the then-new technology; the broadcasters, and eventually the cable networks, jumped on the bandwagon immediately, with the result that most U.S. TV networks and local affiliate stations, and almost all cable networks, now transmit MTS stereo sound.

But who's listening? I would say not very many people. Stereo television sound is a frill most viewers, except those of us with fancy-dancy home theater systems, are living without these days, and will continue to live without for years to come. The current MTS system does have its uses, however; consider the SAP system. This permits viewers to hear certain programs in Spanish. ABC telecasts its "World News Tonight" in Spanish on the SAP channel, while NBC's "Tonight Show with Jay Leno" may be heard in Spanish via this subchannel as well; the other networks may have news and other programs available in Spanish as well over the SAP subchannel--in fact, I think NBC telecasts its "Nightly News" in Spanish on this subcarrier and CBS may have one or more shows in Spanish via this service too.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Thinking in color...

Y'know Cory, if you're gonna go all out with the '60s house, you've just GOTTA have Flair in the kitchen. The Frigidaire Flair was an odd little range with a wall oven and - Works In A Drawer! Or pretty close to it...the cooktop pulled out of the wall. I've seen one up close - pretty interesting. I have a bigger pic of it on the drive - just too big to post.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Thinking in color...

And maybe one day I'll learn how to attach an image properly.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Jeff,

I hope you know I was being a little sarcastic in my "Space Command" reference. I also think those Zenith consoles are fiberboard with a printed wood veneer finish. This is an old technique that looks good and is very cost efficient.

And Charlie, I know this started out as a progress report on your two Zeniths. I guess it got hijacked along the way, but you've done a great job wedging your posts into YOUR thread.

Steve

Last edited by Steve D.; 06-25-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Audiokarma