Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb2 View Post
Not cleaning actually. What these tapes need is baking: the problem <ith EIAJ tapes has been found a long time ago to be sticky shed syndrome. The urethane binder loses its bonds which are replaced by water molecules, softening it enough to shed and stick on the transport with a horrible squealing noise.

If your tapes do not squeal, don't bother. If they do, you can "bake" them to 55°C for the time it takes to remove the water (it can be a day or two for a 1/2" tape), after which it is playable for a few weeks, and then progressively reverts to its shedding condition, but not worse than it was before. A tape can be baked several times, so put the tape back into storage when you have made a copy, for future use. There are several ways to "bake" a tape, and a kitchen oven is most definitely not one of them, it cannot regulate at such a low temperature and is perfectly able to melt the plastic, tape and reel alike. You can use a food dehydrator, or a laboratory oven, or even a cardboard box, a hairdryer and an industrial thermostat - which is what I do and it works well.

BTW the meter doing strange things at power-up is very common for machines of this age, it doesn't imply that there is a problem.
We have some shedding Reel to Reel tapes. What I've been doing post-baking is sealing them in heavy-duty freezer bags with a pouch of desiccant. Keeping the moisture out as much as possible is preferable to re-baking.

Silica gel cat litter is cheap and works great for this purpose - or you can re-use those little pouches you sometimes get in things you buy, but be sure to bake them too if they have sat around a while or they'll be saturated with moisture already and won't do any good.

Just be sure to make a small cloth/paper towel pouch or a smaller plastic bag in which you've pricked a bunch of holes with a pin so the crystals don't get all over your tape. Anything vapour permeable but not too porous is fine.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I'd strongly advise against doing that. Splicing a video tape is a pretty sure way to kill the heads of an EIAJ recorder. Also, VHS tape is really fragile for an EIAJ transport which has much more tape tension than a VHS transport.
I've run VHS tape on EIAJ decks before (though rather than splicing I just drilled holes in the VHS reels so they would go on the EIAJ deck), and it worked okay, though VHS tape will eventually stretch and become useless after a few plays.

I'd do some reading on labguy's world (a website) he seems to be the guru on EIAJ, and IIRC he addresses the tape degradation issue...Somewhere.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

talking and to a friend and found out he used to service vtr's 20 years ago owns his own video production company that rents gear says i need to clean my heads from what i showed him
Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
talking and to a friend and found out he used to service vtr's 20 years ago
AHA!

Quote:
owns his own video production company that rents gear says i need to clean my heads from what i showed him
You probably need to clean the whole transport on such an old machine. Be aware that the video heads are very fragile though, and that if you don't do it the right way they will snap right off! In particular, don't clean them while spinning (important!), wipe the heads horizontally, never vertically!, and don't use q-tips! and don't use paper towels either, they tend to shed on the heads and sometimes the pressure of your finger can be
enough to break them if you are not extra careful. There are specific flat-shaped chamois tips made specifically to clean the video heads without applying pressure on them, they can be a good investment.

Check this page for a description of the procedure.

It may be a good idea to ask your friend to show you how to do it the first time, if he's good he will save time and avoid nasty problems. While you're at it you can also ask him if he doesn't have a service manual by any chance
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'd do some reading on labguy's world (a website) he seems to be the guru on EIAJ, and IIRC he addresses the tape degradation issue...Somewhere.
The only description I've found on labguy's site is a video by someone else that gives dangerous advice (spraying silicone on video tape? NO WAY!!!). A common source of good advice on SSS is Richard Hess's site. There is also a good source there, using a food dehydrator. The way to do it with a hairdryer and a cardboard box is explained there.
Audiokarma
Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
AHA!

You probably need to clean the whole transport on such an old machine. Be aware that the video heads are very fragile though, and that if you don't do it the right way they will snap right off! In particular, don't clean them while spinning (important!), wipe the heads horizontally, never vertically!, and don't use q-tips! and don't use paper towels either, they tend to shed on the heads and sometimes the pressure of your finger can be
enough to break them if you are not extra careful. There are specific flat-shaped chamois tips made specifically to clean the video heads without applying pressure on them, they can be a good investment.

Check this page for a description of the procedure.

It may be a good idea to ask your friend to show you how to do it the first time, if he's good he will save time and avoid nasty problems. While you're at it you can also ask him if he doesn't have a service manual by any chance
all the manuals got tossed when shaw bought out videon and he worked on sony's

pulled it outa the case to look inside some signs of humidy damage
http://youtu.be/3tM1lg89QIo aka lots of dirty contacts

o i finaly got some audio to come through

Last edited by 1ajs; 05-15-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

well this is a giant leep

havent done much other then run it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42Ps...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
well this is a giant leep

havent done much other then run it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42Ps...ature=youtu.be
Yes, much, MUCH better Looks like humidity played tricks on the contacts and operating the old things is progressivelycleaning them up and remobilizing old hardened lubricants. You certainly can help with Deoxit and the proper asortment of q-tips, non-plush wipes and so on. The old belts look good, which is a piece of luck. The motor doesn't look so good though, but as long as it works and doesn't make strange noises I'd leave it alone.

As regards the problems with the monitor, the signal looks good except for those oblique bars appearing from time to time, which might be caused by a parasitic video signal (make sure nothing else is hooked to your monitor and VTR while playing the tape). The sync is not very stable but appear healthy. The vertical sync losses might be caused by the monitor (some are very sensitive to the fairly poor sync level and stability which are normal for an EIAJ deck), adjusting the vertical stability adjustment could help too. But they don't seem to caused by drop outs, as is usual in this format. Anyway the tape looks very clean, especially for an EIAJ tape.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://youtu.be/S-DTkpiGMKc
Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

definatly got sticky tapes part of my problem
Audiokarma