Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Predicta couplates (Networks) 10L43

Hi all, I've managed to pull the main board and the smaller video board from the chassis, marking wires as I go. I've pulled all the networks (well except) for N1 and N4. What are your thoughts on replacing these while I've got the board out ? Looks like N1 (30-6039-1) is just a 68 ohm resistor with a 15 pf mica cap in parallel and N4 (30-6031-1) is a 15K resistor with a 150 pf mica in parallel as well. Also, does it make any difference with N3 (30-6030-7) if you use 2- 47K resistors with 2- .002 mfd on either side of the 47K's or use 3 caps .001 mfd with the 3rd connecting to the middle of the 47K's ? as Phil suggested. Does either method make the vertical more "stable" or am I splitting hairs ? I'm sure people have tried it both ways, N3 seems to be the "weird one" with the 90K resistor and the .004 mfd coming in at a 90 degree angle. All the other networks look pretty standard to build. I'm replacing capacitors and resistors as I go, but I need to order more parts.
I'd like to change the (2) 8 pin sockets for the damper and the horizontal output tubes, but all I can seem to find are the type that the pc mount pins splay out in a wider circle; rather than go straight down through the pc board. With the originals, the socket pins seem to be inline with the tube pins. I've got 2 replacement pc sockets in front of me and they will not fit in this board.
Thanks !
Tony
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM
RCA 741PCS

I've never bothered to replace those networks.

Use three 0.001 or 0.0015 caps. It's a vertical integrator. Every TV has one and they're typically made from several resistors with a cap at each node going to ground. Philco took advantage of couplate manufacturing technology to "wrap" the cap around the resistor, but it works the same way ad I doubt there's any stability difference.

BTW it would make it easier to follow your project if you stuck to one conversation thread. You've got at least four now.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you for the information Bob. I didn't realize that I should lump them together under 1 thread. I figured it was a different topic I was discussing. I will try to be more careful in the future. If the mod wants to combine them I've got no problem with that.
Tony
Old 01-11-2017, 04:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Thank you for the information Bob. I didn't realize that I should lump them together under 1 thread. I figured it was a different topic I was discussing. I will try to be more careful in the future. If the mod wants to combine them I've got no problem with that.
Tony
Give me links to the topics and which title you want to keep (or a new title), and I'll merge them.

Generally it is considered good practice to keep all conversation related to the restoration of a given example of a given model in one topic. A good example of where to create multiple threads is if you want to talk about something that is going to apply to more than one model/chassis...Like CRT rejuvination, alignment, tuner cleaning, capacitor restuffing, etc...Though many fairly generic topics like those have threads already out there on them, and it is recommended you search for, read, and add conversation (if needed) to those threads before potentially creating duplicates (which scatter the knowledge).

No but kicking will occur from ignoring this (unless you create a LOT of topics), but various folks are likely ta pester ya 'bout it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.