Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I would but there aren't many reputable garages near me that aren't run by Hispanics...
Oh, that is so lame...

So what's wrong with the reputable garages near you that are run by Hispanics? Do you really think your car cares who works on it?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 AM
The Resident Brony

Hispanics? Good, find a Mexican muffler shop.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Had two of these 3.8L Buicks in the family. Never actually had a cat fail on one of these pigs, but it is always possible. Both cars had the same issues that would trip the idiot light: bad O2 sensor, bad gas cap, and broken vapor return/emissions control lines at the gas tank. The rear O2 sensor is a bear to change, but hit it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a day. It should come out, unless the car is rusty. If not, heat it (very carefully) with a torch to break it loose. It should go without saying that a fire extinguisher is your best friend when doing this.

Also, the front motor mounts are prone to breaking. These things run DexCool in the radiator, so don't mix your antifreeze types. The power windows are crap, and you will replace the regulators every few years (or pay the shop $500 each when they fall down).

Did I mention that I have really come to hate Buick?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Oh, that is so lame...

So what's wrong with the reputable garages near you that are run by Hispanics? Do you really think your car cares who works on it?

I probably worded that wrong all of the non-reputable shops include the ones run by Hispanics.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Hispanics? Good, find a Mexican muffler shop.
That's the thing hardly any of the Hispanics in my area speak English, the kids do, but not the adults.

Last edited by Captainclock; 03-07-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross0 View Post
Had two of these 3.8L Buicks in the family. Never actually had a cat fail on one of these pigs, but it is always possible. Both cars had the same issues that would trip the idiot light: bad O2 sensor, bad gas cap, and broken vapor return/emissions control lines at the gas tank. The rear O2 sensor is a bear to change, but hit it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a day. It should come out, unless the car is rusty. If not, heat it (very carefully) with a torch to break it loose. It should go without saying that a fire extinguisher is your best friend when doing this.

Also, the front motor mounts are prone to breaking. These things run DexCool in the radiator, so don't mix your antifreeze types. The power windows are crap, and you will replace the regulators every few years (or pay the shop $500 each when they fall down).

Sounds to me like normal wear and tear issues to me (except the window issues), my family is normally a Mopar family, but since Chrylser got bought out by Daimler and then later Fiat the car designs were crap, and the kind of Chrysler I wanted (which was either a 300 or a Charger) were both rear wheel drive I thought I'd take my chances with GM since my first car was a GM and I didn't have any issues with it for the most part.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I probably worded that wrong all of the non-reputable shops include the ones run by Hispanics.
Exhaust work is extremely simple, it does not require an advanced tech degree. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. I doubt that all those "Hispanic" service centers don't have English speaking people working there, or they'd soon be out of business. I think you are talking out of a biased personal opinion and not from an open mind. If you want to survive and excel in this world you need to open your eyes and broaden your horizons.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
That's the thing hardly any of the Hispanics in my area speak English, the kids do, but not the adults.
Just walk in and say 'Nesesito un catalytico.' I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here.
THANK YOU. Besides, I'm sure the mexican muffler guys speak enough english to know what 'I need a catalytic converter' means.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Did I mention, that I only owned one GM car in 53 years, of owning a car!
The one I owned, needed WAY too many repairs, for a low milage car, that supposedly had the best engine and transmission that they made.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Of all the cars we have had in the family, the most reliable has been Hyundai. Then Chrysler, Ford, and in last place GM. But, you have to keep in mind that the Hyundai is only 4 yrs old, and the Intrepid and LHS are 15.
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had good luck with GM cars, other than tires, brakes and oil changes I never had to do much to them.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Of all the cars we have had in the family, the most reliable has been Hyundai. Then Chrysler, Ford, and in last place GM. But, you have to keep in mind that the Hyundai is only 4 yrs old, and the Intrepid and LHS are 15.
That's probably a true statement!
I haven't heard a lot of grumbling about Hyundai, or even Kia. Most owner's feel that, they're good value for the money.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
That's probably a true statement!
I haven't heard a lot of grumbling about Hyundai, or even Kia. Most owner's feel that, they're good value for the money.
Yeah and Foreign cars are very expensive to work on, both my grandfathers were mechanics all their lives and they wouldn't touch a foreign car with a 10 foot pole because they needed too many repairs and because they were too expensive to repair, my one uncle had a 1978 Dodge Omni that all that was wrong with it was that the head gasket blew on the engine but since the Dodge Omni's from that time period used Volkswagen 4-Cylinder engines (Chryler never developed their own 4-cyclinder engine they just used Volkswagen and then later on Mitsubishi engines) the parts were kind of hard to source so the Omni got junked, then my uncle had an old Toyota Camary from the late 1980s that was basically a piece of junk because everytime you turned around it would blow a head gasket (which is already an expensive job as it is, then add to it that it was a foreign car it made the job even more expensive) so my uncle ended up junking that car out after its 3rd head gasket, and then got and old Honda Accord from the early 1990s and that thing was a hunk of junk as well because it too blew head gaskets left and right and so then my uncle got a 1989 Plymouth Sundance and that car got him around for quite awhile after the initial 100,000 mile head gasket replacement and then he finally got rid of that and bought a Subaru which he's not had as much trouble with (granted that the Subaru was a 2006 and not from the 1980s) but still I don't see the advantage of owning a foreign car over owning an American car, because foreign cars cost way too much to repair and maintain compared to an American car and they're quality isn't that great. I mean seriously how many foreign cars have you seen that have had bodies that have held up to winter weather in the Norther United States? Not many, most foreign cars I've ever seen were falling apart before the engine died, whereas the bodies on most American cars seem to hold up better against Northern United States winters, and most of the time the bodies outlast the engines.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Just walk in and say 'Nesesito un catalytico.' I mean...

THANK YOU. Besides, I'm sure the mexican muffler guys speak enough english to know what 'I need a catalytic converter' means.
Yeah, but my point is that, this is America, English is our National Language, I shouldn't need to go into a shady Mexican Muffler shop and Speak Spanish to the shop owner to get work done on my American Car, that's NOT how it works!
If you're happy with taking your car into a shady muffler shop that may or may not be run by Hispanics that don't speak English, that's fine with me, but I want to be able to get work done on my car by a reputable mechanic that Speaks English, and that isn't going to try and rip me off, but like I said shops like that don't seem to exist near me sadly enough.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yeah, but my point is that, this is America, English is our National Language, I shouldn't need to go into a shady Mexican Muffler shop and Speak Spanish to the shop owner to get work done on my American Car, that's NOT how it works!
If you're happy with taking your car into a shady muffler shop that may or may not be run by Hispanics that don't speak English, that's fine with me, but I want to be able to get work done on my car by a reputable mechanic that Speaks English, and that isn't going to try and rip me off, but like I said shops like that don't seem to exist near me sadly enough.
You're off base here and I find a few of your replies in this thread extremely offensive. Maybe try thinking about what you post before you click the post button.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread