Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

There's a lot of interesting information on that site.
Think it was somewhere in there I read about tests that were done after the relatively low earth orbit Telstar satellite was launched to check the doppler shift caused by the satellite's motion relative to the ground stations didn't vary the NTSC colour subcarrier frequency much, it ended up being 10-12 Hz from memory which was acceptable.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Motorola Minion

I was always amused by this depiction of British TVs in a Monty Python episode. The truck outside unloading more TV's elicited some uproarious laughter from friends and family who used to think that I was the only old TV collector. LOFL

This outrageous humor is not for everyone but if you fast forward to 11:14 you'll see alot of them.https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gf7qi
Old 08-26-2022, 03:51 PM
TV DXer...

MPFC also did a "Department Store" sketch. They show a directory of what is on each floor and where it says "Roof", the listing is "TV Aerials"...
Old 08-29-2022, 04:38 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
MPFC also did a "Department Store" sketch. They show a directory of what is on each floor and where it says "Roof", the listing is "TV Aerials"...
They were all those little UHF yagis after VHF was gone then, I was in UK before sky/cable and saw them everywhere. LOL.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
They were all those little UHF yagis after VHF was gone then, I was in UK before sky/cable and saw them everywhere. LOL.
There still are lots for the UK Freeview channels

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate...-professionals
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2023, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hoover View Post
There still are lots for the UK Freeview channels

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate...-professionals
Yes just about every house round here has a UHF yagi or log periodic on the roof. (except my house, I have a UHF yagi in the loft) In October I went on a cruise to Rotterdam in Netherlands & Cork in Ireland: In Rotterdam I didn't see a single TV antenna at all so presume they're all on cable. In Cork I saw a few UHF antennas like in England & also Satellite dish's.

Mind you the loft antenna doesn't seem to be working after a lightning strike a few weeks ago that tripped the main circuit breaker, blew the internet modem/wi-fi box, blew two landline phones, broke a paving slab in two & melted & burnt an out door string of lights. We also have cable TV & that wasn't affected. Can get glitchy terrestrial digital reception by putting a piece of wire in TV antenna socket so know the TV is OK. Will have to buy/scrounge some co-ax & rewire my antenna, when I can be bothered that is...
Old 12-18-2023, 01:08 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Yes just about every house round here has a UHF yagi or log periodic on the roof. (except my house, I have a UHF yagi in the loft) In October I went on a cruise to Rotterdam in Netherlands & Cork in Ireland: In Rotterdam I didn't see a single TV antenna at all so presume they're all on cable. In Cork I saw a few UHF antennas like in England & also Satellite dish's.

Mind you the loft antenna doesn't seem to be working after a lightning strike a few weeks ago that tripped the main circuit breaker, blew the internet modem/wi-fi box, blew two landline phones, broke a paving slab in two & melted & burnt an out door string of lights. We also have cable TV & that wasn't affected. Can get glitchy terrestrial digital reception by putting a piece of wire in TV antenna socket so know the TV is OK. Will have to buy/scrounge some co-ax & rewire my antenna, when I can be bothered that is...
A lot of antennas here are 300 ohm balanced and use a balun to convert to 75 ohm unbalanced coax. Those baluns use very fine wire and are usually the weak link in a lightning strike...If you have a balun that would be the first thing I would replace unless the coax is visibly damaged.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2023, 08:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's just co-ax connected directly to the antenna, no balun. The co-ax is very old as I found it in father-in-laws garage about 20 years ago & don't know how long it'd been there for, I'll go & have a look in the loft to see if anything has come adrift.... I don't think I've ever seen a balun used over here, everyone just connects the co-ax to the antenna terminals, my FM antenna on the side of the house doesn't have a balun & works OK, the lightning didn't affect that...
Old 12-18-2023, 10:43 AM
Damn does run fast…

As an aside - from watching old BBC programing, IIRC, they used EMI 2001s a lot. from this clip above, and Fawlty Towers, those cameras seemed to be bad at comet tailing in the red channel. Were they really any worse than other cameras of the era, or is just me?
Old 12-30-2023, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=

Mind you the loft antenna doesn't seem to be working after a lightning strike a few weeks ago that tripped the main circuit breaker, blew the internet modem/wi-fi box, blew two landline phones, broke a paving slab in two & melted & burnt an out door string of lights. We also have cable TV & that wasn't affected. Can get glitchy terrestrial digital reception by putting a piece of wire in TV antenna socket so know the TV is OK. Will have to buy/scrounge some co-ax & rewire my antenna, when I can be bothered that is...[/QUOTE]

They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, well it has - sort of. The other night while in bed there was flashing & thunder & then a bright flash & almost instant bang, it didn't trip the circuit breaker this time. The wind was howling so got up to have a mug of co-co & noticed the modem was flashing red & cable TV didn't work. Phoned Virgin Media & it turns out the lightning had fried some gubbins inside their street cabinet down the road, they fixed it by 3 PM & all was then well. Can't find any other lightning damage so got away lightly this time. I'm dreading the next time we have a thunderstorm, lol...
Audiokarma