Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
Thats my favorite CTC-31. Wheres the remote control? Funny how a gun shot TV survived after all these years just because Elvis owned it.
Maybe Elvis had a few too many drinks and confused a gun with the remote?

I'd hope that these sets were positioned in the room in such a way that, when Elvis started shooting at them, the bullets not penetrate an inside wall and hit someone in another room...
Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
Gee, you'd think Elvis would have been given a "DELUXE" model, instead of a "SUPER". Maybe RCA was too cheap to part with the better TV. After all, he made millions for RCA's record division.
i wonder how many sets rca gave to thier recording artist.i know sam cooke house had a roundie and a whole entertainment system filled with rca stuff,except speakers which were custom crafted by the houes previous owner glen glenn
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

The way I had heard the story is that Elvis shot his RCA 2000. Now I wonder if Elvis shot multiple sets, or that over time the story just spread to include every TV Elvis owned and now nobody knows for sure which one he shot. This is supposed to be a picture of the king's RCA 2000.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you ever go to Graceland, you will see all of the TV's that were there. Downstairs there are two CTC38's hanging on the wall of the TV room. The CTC5 has been there since new but was placed in the attic when it was about 8-10 years old. Since Elvis recorded with RCA, he received many perks such as that. Parade magazine did an article on Elvis in the late 60's and on the cover shows Elvis' mother with that CTC5 in the main living room. Somewhere I still have that magazine. I also have that TV too-in fact I have about 6 CTC5's. There is another picture of Elvis with a little red 7" B&W TV in another room. (Remember that little metal set?)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, I remember seeing a pic of Elvis's mama w/a roundie, long before I knew what a CTC-5 was. I just knew it was a very old color set. And I have 3 of those 8" metal RCAs...They just kinda "talk" to me...Someone who's NOT into old TVs or radios likely won't understand that, but I think the other TV guys prolly do...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

julianburke

Could you try to locate the magazine and try to post here the picture of Elvis with the little portable set? I have that set, and I think it's just so cool, I really like the design of that TV. I am also an Elvis fan, not one of the most fanatic of fans, but still a fan ( I am more fanatic for Star Wars ).

A guy I know is REALLY fanatic in his devotion for Elvis, so fanatic in fact that he started collecting all RCA Victor related stuff ( promo material, radios, etc ) just because that was the recording label of The King. He even has the same portable TV set, coincidently is the same color of mine ( red ).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll try and find them. I have moved to a larger house and still haven't fully moved, yet I'm still finding stuff I have long since forgotten about. (like finding it all over again!) I also have one of those little red sets with the original instruction book!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT loses vacuum when shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I have read more than once that Elvis shot an RCA 2000 during a Robert Goulet broadcast. Of course, repeating a story doesn't necessarily make it true :-)

Phil Nelson
Robert was a friend of my parents and when he would play in Miami Beach in the 1970's(usually in the Diplomat or Eden Roc) he would sometimes stay with us. The story is true, but I do not know how many sets Elvis took out when Bob came on.
Richard, Miami Fl.