Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rick, I sure remember the "good old days" of Omaha parts stores. Truesdell.. Sidles... Myersons... Omaha Electronics. I'm sure I'm leaving a ton out. We were the Zenith dealer in Tekamah, and would have to come into Omaha and hit up all the parts stores/distributors.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Slightly off-topic....A few years ago I went into my local Best Buy store looking for a car amplifier. A salesperson came by to help me, and I asked what the difference was was between the standard amplifiers and the Class D amplifiers....and he gave me the right answer. I almost fell over. There are sparks of hope for some of the young people.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I always enjoyed Radio Shack, there's really nothing else like them around. I thought the toys and hobby kits, etc were really cool and unique. I haven't been in there in a while. The one at the mall closed, and the older location is still open (for now).
Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Peanut Head

When the few (I think three) of them closed here and in Jonesboro...I don't think anybody noticed...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I hope the last one I know of in driving distance stays open...The other one that I went to more often closed a month or two ago....Spent like $170 on their closing sale and had a receipt about as tall as I am ....I did not know Radio Shack had jumbo sized bags till that day.
I've been having the same experience regarding long receipts & giant shopping bags the past couple weeks at the Radio Shackstores around here. The one closest to me is supposed to close tomorrow.
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Despite all the disparaging remarks (some of them deserved) about Radio Shack, I still have fond memories of going to the stores since I was 6 years old. As a kid, I was always begging my mom to take me to Radio Shack because I "needed" more parts for a project. Now, with kids of my own, my oldest (7 yo) has displayed "the knack" for technical things and she has fun tagging along with me to RS. At steep discounts, I've been stocking up on the kids' DIY project kits to build with her.
Another girl techie, awesome.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm glad that some of you are getting the goodies that I missed out.Have fun.

I probably said it before.The best time for me with RS is in the 1970's and 80's.My first training was with their kits like those fill in the blank --- in one spring term kits and their soldering AM radio kits..
Old 04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I'm glad that some of you are getting the goodies that I missed out.Have fun.

I probably said it before.The best time for me with RS is in the 1970's and 80's.My first training was with their kits like those fill in the blank --- in one spring term kits and their soldering AM radio kits..
Two-transistor, breadboard style, no soldering ArcherKit for me, Christmas 1971. My older brother got the FM-only radio kit that was built in a box..

15 Years later, we acquired one of the 300-project kits, left behind by a barracks roommate. We decided to build the "Amplified AM Radio", with me building the 2-transistor amp portion, and my brother building the radio portion. My amp section worked, but his crystal radio section didn't. 4 parts, no workie. For many years after that I got him a crystal radio kit for Christmas, even when he was deployed for Desert Shield/Storm...

RadioShack is a cultural icon, too many good and bad memories.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I stopped in one of the local stores on Thursday. They had taken down their markdown signs because, the clerk said, it was too confusing. Everything in the parts drawers was 90% off, plus some of the other stuff. I loaded up on a lot of capacitors for 20 cents each, some screw-base lamp sockets (might be handy for use in a 30's radio) pkg of 4 for 20 cents, and packages of 4 terminal strips (very similar to what you get from places like Radio Daze) also 20 cents. I think today was there last day. I stopped in another location today and they were in an earlier stage, only 20% markdown. We had a good talk with the clerk: some stores are closing for certain, some may or may not be (his store has a big "store closing" banner but they're being told they might stay open; they're getting shipments in from other stores, apparently), and other stores will stay open indefinitely unless the bankruptcy court pulls the plug. Corporate is keeping the store employees in the dark. The bankruptcy was being covered by the media for a couple weeks before they heard anything official.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Two-transistor, breadboard style, no soldering ArcherKit for me, Christmas 1971. My older brother got the FM-only radio kit that was built in a box..

15 Years later, we acquired one of the 300-project kits, left behind by a barracks roommate. We decided to build the "Amplified AM Radio", with me building the 2-transistor amp portion, and my brother building the radio portion. My amp section worked, but his crystal radio section didn't. 4 parts, no workie. For many years after that I got him a crystal radio kit for Christmas, even when he was deployed for Desert Shield/Storm...

RadioShack is a cultural icon, too many good and bad memories.
Looks like you are a few years ahead of me.As I still got them here.The 40 in one,65 in one was the first kits I got from my parents,At the same time i got a couple of those red P boxes kits.As years in the 1970's went by I end up getting the 75 in one,100 in one 150'in one and Lafayette 200 in one in the black suitcase box before they closed up .It was around 1978 is when I got their 8 transistor radio kit.
Audiokarma