Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Vintage Oster 403 blender help

I'm in the process of fighting with my 1950s Oster 403 deluxe blender. It's one of those two speed chrome beehive models, and I can't seem to find information on tearing it down or replacement parts because Oster is still in business and has apparently used the 403 model number since.

Here's what I need to do:

- Pull the motor out, clean off the old oil, and re-oil it. It's sluggish on the lower speed. I know how to clean it, but the metal pin on the motor shaft is preventing me from pulling the motor, and I don't know how to remove it.

- Get the motor mounts reproduced. This one's more of a personal thing for me, but I can't stand leaving old rubber parts like that in use. I've never found motor mounts that I trusted to last. I figure I can contact Ed Schutz on that, but I can't remove them to open that line of communication until I get the motor out.

- Replace the cord, which has an intermittent break near the base. I'd like to get a cord that will match the original appearance of the one I'm replacing, but the only vintage style cords I'm finding for sale are cloth covered.

Does anyone have any experience working on these, or at least some tips on how to tear them down?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Administrator

I've torn them down before but I don't remember how the drive came off, I'm guessing the pin will tap out with a correct sized drift.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

I was looking at the parts online, and it looks like it's a screw hold. I'm thinking if I hold the motor still and twist the pin with some pliers, it'll loosen and come free.

It's already not working because I haven't been able to tear the thing apart and fix it, so I'm not risking much by trying to tear it down.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Administrator

I just looked at mine, I believe the metal flange is just pressed on, it should pry off with a couple screwdrivers (with some padding to protect the case), after that's off I think the rest of the drive will fit through the hole.

I saw that screw in square drive, I'm not sure the original old models had that or if they are one piece.