Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Don't annoy the kitty!

48 ADMIRAL roundy sited at a garage sale

Greetings -

Saw this unit at a local garage sale. I had to go home to grab my camera to get proper pics. The owner had a price tag of 75 bux on it. Being merely an admirer of old TVs, it was easy for me to walk away.

The guy also had a bunch of vintage stereo gear including some SCOTT speakers, YAMAHA speakers and early REALISTIC speakers. Plus there was an early 70's SONY Reel to Reel with low or no miles on it (a church bought it and never really used it). It was the model with the built-in amp and stereo speakers (model TC-5xx?).

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the audio gear.

Just for the record I bought a couple of orphan 10 by quarter inch audio tape reels for the metal reels (a dollar each) plus a couple of interesting books.

Last edited by 1koolcat; 05-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM
EFSP

If it was Scott tube stuff....you mighta missed a MAJOR score....

....and that R2R might have been one of the good ones, not just a consumer level, considering that metal reeled tapes were with it....
Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I couldn't have walked away from that set! I.d have offered $50 first but I would have gotten it in any case. I can understand a non-TV guy leaving it though.

I passed up two sets today, a 12" Admiral combo and a 16" RCA in a small console, left em because they were high (in every sense) at $150 each.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have that model Admiral but not in nearly so nice a shape. They did seem to get "ragged-out" easily. This is the older 2-chassis version, later they consolidated it. Not bad sets to work on. The companion radio/phonograph seems to be rare.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first vintage TV restorations were on these 48-49 Admiral TV's, Great to work on with ample space under the chassis for removing and replacing caps, etc.. I remember restoring at least 5 of these chassis' and they all came back to life and played well with nice clear pictures. I even restored a '49 Admiral (30A14 I think) that looked like it spent the past 50 years at the bottom of the ocean, It restored nicely after a complete re-cap and Lytic change and is still working great in Northern Michigan.
Jim