Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM
M is for Memory

it's 11 somewhere....

Here are the chassis shots.

Both tuner tubes tested shorted (one fixed it's self so it went back in), and were dealt with. I was able to get color through cable on some channels. It is a bit wormey and the lousy focus makes it hard to ascertain how good the video is, but it seems most of the important stuff is working.

Yeah, I tend to only go to the first swap day of Radiofest...The sellers and finds tend to be gone by the last day, and if I stay for the donation auction I come home with with parts and junk that I don't need....I may be moving within the year so I'm trying to cut back on that. Doug, your friend has good timing I only had it open for ~5 minutes, was there most of the time, and did not notice a picture being taken then. That is the worst Radiofest meet I can recall attending....Attendance seemed down 1/3-1/2 from previous years especially buyers who don't sell. Other years the sellers fee is felt but the sales make it worth it. I usually sell 70% of what I bring, this year I sold maybe 10%, and did not make even 2/3 of the combined membership renewal/sellers fee. I'm not going to sell there again until things return to what they were. If it were not for, seeing the guy that got me started restoring radios (and some other friends), this TV, some mastering reel tape, and seeing a pre-war Zenith TV in person, the whole meet would have been a waste to me. I was tempted to get Jim's 19" Zenith, but space concerns, having a similar set, and not having room in the car for it (that would not involve it riding on a lap) kind of prevented that.

That portacolor came from Dave (deiseljeep). It had a shorted ACG pot killing the IF indirectly, that I fixed. It works okay, but could use a bit more tuning up and cosmetic work, I was and still am planning on keeping it longer getting it to look better and selling it to one of the folks that periodically pop up here ofereing a lot for one. The knob was for temporary so I could know the channel I'm on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drussell View Post
They seem to try to force you to use some silly Flash interface (which is bad for many, many reasons so obviously a poor choice for serving photos to a web audience), so I can't see your photos either.

Can't you just attach them properly to your post on the forum so we can all view them easily from any device?
What is wrong with flash? I use it for a lot of things and have no problems.

I don't like the interface, picture size limits (IIRC here and or ARF requires I resize my camera's files), and upload space limits of the forums I'm on(I don't want to delete my old pictures to upload more)....Not to mention the auto delete of pictures on older posts....There is nothing more annoying on an old post than needing to see a forum picture that is gone, and the user is gone or has lost it. Also I don't like that one has to log in to see forum pictures; it prevents non member lurkers from getting useful info, and cool set pictures to motivate them to get into the hobby, and the forum and some google searches log you out of old threads opened in new tabs....In short it's too clunky for me. Also as a member of a few forums it is a hell of a lot less painful to drag and drop pics/copy paste [IMG.] codes to/from photobucket than it is to learn the interface of every forum I use, and I sure as hell ain't going to go to the effort of resizing every darn photo I post or convert formats.....I'd sooner stop posting and go back to lurking.

I can't afford a smart phone nor can my folks, so I don't have sympathy for those who can, and can't deal with their phones' problems. When some of my computers I've had to piece together from 10-15 year old garbage and then make work properly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I can't afford a smart phone nor can my folks, so I don't have sympathy for those who can, and can't deal with their phones' problems. When some of my computers I've had to piece together from 10-15 year old garbage and then make work properly.
With that attitude, we will always be on separate pages. I work and part of my job requires a smart phone, and yes, I use it a lot to view the threads here, and I would like being able to see a JPG for what it is, without some silly web interface with advertising bloat, eating into my data charges or causing a mobile browser to crash.

Just because you are ok with it, doesn't mean others have issue with it. Like I said before, I used to use Photobucket, but they have made a lot of changes, including missing the ability to direct link to an image. There are still hosts that can do this, and you know what, those are the best, and most simplest. It's like Imageshack. Oh my god don't get me started on them, full of bad ads that also can link you to malware.

And as far as Adobe Flash and why is it bad? http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...sh-Player.html
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love these Japanese color style sets. Had a nicee Panasonic tube color 13" lost on a flood. Some of these oddball sets can be fixed up to make a mindblowingly fine picture. Nice chassis shots. This will be a fun project. Re: the worminess- fine tuning gear might not be catching.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Hey Brandon, does Flickr work all right with your phone? That's my long-term photo storage. I find the issue with attachments is they use up space rather quickly.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
I love these Japanese color style sets. Had a nicee Panasonic tube color 13" lost on a flood. Some of these oddball sets can be fixed up to make a mindblowingly fine picture. Nice chassis shots. This will be a fun project. Re: the worminess- fine tuning gear might not be catching.
The fine tuning mech is working fine....

Think of me what you will, but with all the (smartish-)phone snobbery I've been subjected to I love to see those things crap out and their owners squirm...It helps make up for all the phone snobbery in the world.

I don't have the time to work on all the electronic projects and what not I need to finish, why would I waste a bunch of my time properly transferring to a new hosting site let alone when there is no guarantee that they will not change something or some nerd will come up with the next trendy device/OS/what have you that won't be compatible with that, and I'll have someone else that starts bitching that they can't see my pictures. Don't you guys have the sense to keep your laptops and desktops when you buy these new phones and gadgets?...I ain't Norwegian, but I like their saying "make sure the new bucket holds water before dumping the old one".
That is what I HATE most about digital technology, it is so damn hard to grab on to something good and have it work trouble free (with proper care) for 1-2 decades like the analog stuff.

Find me a piece of software that does not and cannot have security holes, and I will find you a hen with a full set of teeth.

If you have a gripe about seeing pictures send Photobucket a mean Email, fire up your old windows box to see the pic, and leave me alone.

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank God you adjusted this thing !
Anyhows if the worms beat with the audio you can tweak
the 4.5 MHZ trap but flag it so you can go back.
Also looks a little like an IF problem so try the 2 4EH7 & 4EJ7
if you got them. Probably a low focus tube & the taps do
nothing. Only a rejuve works but still wont look like an
expensive sets focus.

73 Zeno
Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Tom! It looks like the Sears I have only without the radio. I haven't worked on it since I got it, probably three years ago.
Regarding the Porta-Color, it belonged to my buddie, Dennis. You met him at the WARC meets. I had it on my bench and determined it was AGC trouble. The AGC voltage was way off the map. Disconnected it and still couldn't get results. I guess I'm a little rusty at component-level trouble shooting.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Hey Brandon, does Flickr work all right with your phone? That's my long-term photo storage. I find the issue with attachments is they use up space rather quickly.
Flicker is good.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Thank God you adjusted this thing !
Anyhows if the worms beat with the audio you can tweak
the 4.5 MHZ trap but flag it so you can go back.
Also looks a little like an IF problem so try the 2 4EH7 & 4EJ7
if you got them. Probably a low focus tube & the taps do
nothing. Only a rejuve works but still wont look like an
expensive sets focus.

73 Zeno
I'm not touching the traps until I have a schematic for it to know what is what.
The IF and video tubes are next on my list of things to test. I think it may be a high voltage focus CRT since it has a stick rectifier on the side of the HV cage that the focus lead goes to. There is also a tubular ceramic cap there that I suspect may be a problem (hard to see how it is wired since there's a cloudy translucent plastic insulator covering that wiring). I also need to see if there is a focus adjustment.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Hey Tom! It looks like the Sears I have only without the radio. I haven't worked on it since I got it, probably three years ago.
Regarding the Porta-Color, it belonged to my buddie, Dennis. You met him at the WARC meets. I had it on my bench and determined it was AGC trouble. The AGC voltage was way off the map. Disconnected it and still couldn't get results. I guess I'm a little rusty at component-level trouble shooting.
You did well to isolate it as an AGC issue quickly. I was using my B&K 1077 to trouble shoot the IF and when I found that the second stage had no signal I started changing off tolerance resistors, and chasing my tail, until I realized that the second IF gets it's bias off the conduction of the first IF that is controlled by the AGC, and that the AGC was off....Took me a few days of head scratching to find all it needed was a very simple 15 minute repair...

Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Why don't you get a Tracfone? Many of them are smartphones with cameras, and are dirt cheap these days to boot. (Airtime cards are affordable as well.) The maintenance man at my apartment building has one of these prepaid smartphones, and he hasn't had five minutes worth of trouble with it yet.

BTW, as for myself, I don't have a smartphone, but I do have a tablet I have added quite a bit to in the year or so I've had it, including an Internet telephone app that works very well and a VoIP amateur radio app (EchoLink) as well. The stock camera isn't too good, but I got around that by installing a camera app (Zoom Camera Pro) from the Google Play Store that runs rings around it; it takes amazingly clear and sharp photos, much more so than the stock camera. I like it because, among other things, it has a feature that allows me to take a photo by touching anywhere on the screen, something the tablet's stock camera doesn't have, and I found annoying since I am left-handed; the shutter button on most camera apps is at the right side of the screen. The Zoom Camera Pro app also has the capability to e-mail photos to the user's personal e-mail account (something I use a lot, since my tablet doesn't have much on-board storage space and the SD card fills up quickly as well, causing the camera to issue an "SD card unmounted or not present" warning unless I regularly e-mail images to my inbox) as well as a feature to post photos to Facebook.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
M is for Memory

Simple my folks pay for my current phone which is a 7year old sprint family plan that is cheaper than anything they offer now. The folks refuse to switch carriers (though with the charges etc mom found today that may eventually change), or pay more for a modern phone so I'm stuck with what I have. I'm not going to buy my own phone until I am able to start looking for and get a job....Until then feeding my car takes monitary priority.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

In this case the 4.5 trap is a pot. Along rear of chassis near 4EJ7
under a shield.
Focus is LV but it does have an adjustment. Its on the R side
of FBT cage. loosen & slide up & down IIRC. It a coil........
Will keep the Sams out if you need more just ask.

73 Zeno

Quote:
I'm not touching the traps until I have a schematic for it to know what is what.
The IF and video tubes are next on my list of things to test. I think it may be a high voltage focus CRT since it has a stick rectifier on the side of the HV cage that the focus lead goes to. There is also a tubular ceramic cap there that I suspect may be a problem (hard to see how it is wired since there's a cloudy translucent plastic insulator covering that wiring). I also need to see if there is a focus adjustment.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Just an FYI, but Imgur seems to be the best image host out there right now. I used to use photobucket as well, but Imgur is basically built for webforum hosting.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Photobucket has it's problems, mostly as stated, flash is slowly dying, and
it's a good thing.... As Steve Jobs said years ago, computers have had the ability
to do native video for years, but flash has a strong foothold. Photobucket loads
more and more scripts with each year. It slows down computers, as does the flash
interface.

Imgur I can't use on this computer, It thinks my machine is a mobile device
and sends it to something that won't display. I have for my VK use mostly
a ibook G4, long abandoned by apple, and firefox. And I keep NoScript on it
to keep some scripts from stopping the machine in it's tracks, and ads from
scrolling across the entire screen, which really slow it down. This ibook, is last
supported fully by ff 3.6.28 and they are now up to something like 40.

I know for smartphones javascript is not as well implemented as it is on
desktops. And then there is flash, not supported by some, and supported by
others.... On the flip side, html5 is pretty complex, and yet html 2 and 4
still need to be supported, so, not everything is supported simply because of
the size of the program.... Can you imagine downloading a new browser
to your smartphone each week when a new security problem comes up...?
People would scream at the data charges..... Last month I think there was a
flash update each week to my newer machine because of security problems....
So as it has been, as it will be, all devices are not supported....
The sooner flash dies the better.....

My newer laptop running a newer OSX and ff 39 or 40 or whatever they
are up to can work on all the photo sites, it's a real treat to use.....

It's a transition mostly from flash to html 5, for a while some stuff is going to
work better than others....

And you know it's because of advertising and tracking that they all can't just
do a simple file upload interface that is html 4 based.....

Anyway, EM nice work and good improvement on the picture on that set !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 11.jpg (81.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Username1; 08-05-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Audiokarma