Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:02 PM
VK Member

Grundig Radio help

I am fixing a grundig console radio for someone. They brought the radio portion to me leaving behind the console. Was having trouble tuning and needed lots of work to get the tuning dials and strings working. Also replaced the rectifier and can cap as the old one was leaking. Was not sure of speaker connections, but got some sound so figured it was all good. Drove a half hour to hook it up in the console.Powers up fine, tuning eye is nice and bright. We can tune into a strong station but the sound is horribly distorted out of both channels. Almost like you are hearing half of the sound or it is clipping very early. It is as if you hear the quiet portions, but as soon as their is sound, it clips. We swapped around the tubes with others he had, but got the same thing. You could just make out what song it was, but barely. So I am going through the tubes tonight and testing them on my Hickok 6000. Some are not listed. Anyone have a current settings chart for one?
Trying to test
EF89/6FC7
EL95/6DL5
EABC80/6AK8
ECH81/6AJ8

Thanks, John
Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

did you replace all the coupling caps? those ERO's all leak badly.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:21 PM
VK Member

I did not, but was considering doing so. They all have a chalky white stuff at the ends and I'm not sure if it is just old, or actually falling apart. I did hook a cap meter to several and they do show capacitance close to their makings, but I am not checking for leakage. My general rule is to shotgun all the old caps, but this one is tight and will take some time. I guess I will start with the coupling caps and go from there. John
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

thats it for sure, guarantee. forget the cap test, they leak at voltage, you can confirm by reading the bias of the tubes, but why bother they leak. I would not turn it on again, least you risk red plating the tubes.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those ero caps are all junk. you'll never find a good one. Replace them all with quality mylars and troubles will be gone. Even if you find a grundig or other german radio that seems work ok and it still has those caps, get rid of them anyway. You'll be rewarded with even better performance.
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
VK Member

Yeah, I have them on order. Customer didn't want to go that far and I thought it was OK except for the dial turning itself. They have no choice now. Sure have to be creative to fit them in I will say. Sort of like a puzzle. John