Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the last tube GE portable radios

I just received a lot of 3 radios off ebay. A '58 GE AC/battery tube portable model 672 and two transistor portables, which I'll post about in the transistor forum.

I suspect this to be one of the last, if not the last, tube portable AM radio built by GE. Really, it's probably one of the last tube portables built by anyone. I don't think I've seen any that were built after '58.

I tried the radio; but, it only makes a soft hissing sound from the speaker. I was looking at the PC board chassis and noticed it's one of GE's double sided boards that they loved so much and continued to use up until the '80's.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I THINK Zenith made Tooob-type Trans-Oceanics up til '62...They sold 'em that late, anyhow. The LAST tube-type radios made in this country very well may have been the 5-10 examples of my beloved R-390As produced in 1984-85 by an outfit called Fowler Industries to fulfill the specifications of a contract for some Naval ships that were originally designed in the late '50s. They were largely handbuilt, & cost Uncle Sugar around $30K EACH...Not only that, but they were surplussed out within 5 years.