Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-4 acquisition

This is my latest addition to my collection. It is a CTC-4 Model 21-CT-664U "Gainsborough." Thank you Charles (Kaye-Halbert TV) for the lead.

The CRT was broken (just like my CTC-10) but the owner threw in a good 21AXP22. I recapped it but it still needs work. The color oscillator was modified and I need to get it back to the original circuit. Needless to say I have no color yet. So far it has a fairly good black and white picture. It will be about a month before I get a chance to get back to it.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc4closed.JPG (86.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg ctc4open.JPG (73.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg screen1.JPG (58.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg screen2.JPG (36.0 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Steve K; 07-21-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Decent picture, cosmetically very pretty, you'll get there...Good show !
Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Beautiful set. You people have all the luck. Wish I could find something like that.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

We had a CTC-4 (already quite old by then) when I was a kid. I remember it exploding rather impressively (a cap, I reckon) one Saturday morning. Someone had given it to my father (the TV repairman) when they got a new one. We had it for quite a while.

Nice snag!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did it appear that the color circuit was modified with some reason in mind, or was it just someone not knowing what they were doing?

David
Audiokarma
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set indeed Steve! I cant wait to see it in its full color glory. I'm always happy to see another early color roundie being brought back to life. Good job!
Tony
Old 07-23-2006, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Steve,

That set cleaned up remarkabley well. With that good b&w picture a nice color picture will surely follow. Good job.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 07-23-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sold my ctc-4 "blond" to steve Mcvoy,i think it is the only ctc-4 they have..
i had the picture tube rebuilt by hawkeye,i remember something odd about the chroma circuit in it,I ran the set thru a HDTV receiver set at 480i,i remember changing the twinlead from the antenna terminal to the tuner to RG6 with balun to just convert the input cable just at the actual tuner itself.
this set had a wonderfull color picture,esp cartoons were real colorfull,the crt was a 21axp22 and not a 21axp22A,so i am told the phosphors where closer to a 15gp22 in the 21axp22...I could never get the edge convergence as perfect as i was told these could get..maybe i was too picky.
old pre 60's color set are getting so rare nowadays,
Old 07-23-2006, 12:16 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Steve,

Great job!!!!! I remember how sad that set looked when it was mine in the 80s. I can't 100% recall, but I think that was a Gary Hough set. I am confused about where i got that one.

Did you do something with the veneer on top? It sure looks nice now! I variac'd it up when I got it, and it had high voltage. I never fooled with it after that because it was not yet collectable then, just a big old TV with a busted CRT. I was going to dump it when I moved from Northridge in '89, but Len told me he'd save it if I hauled it over there. I helped him deposit it in that loft where it was kept all these years, and Have Mercy on whoever got it down that switchback open staircase that's more like a ladder

Did Len show you his other CTC-4, which is his daily watcher that he has had since he got when he was a student in the electric shop at Beverly Hills High School? I think he said he got that set in '61.

Charles

Last edited by Kaye-Halbert TV; 07-23-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K
This is my latest addition to my collection. It is a CTC-4 Model 21-CT-664U "Gainsborough."
This is a very nice set. I am sure that you will fix it and bring it to full working condition.
Can you take some photos of this set (front, chassis, circuits, crt and with a screen shot when it is working) for my television photo galery?

Eckhard
Audiokarma
Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K
This is my latest addition to my collection. It is a CTC-4 Model 21-CT-664U "Gainsborough." Thank you Charles (Kaye-Halbert TV) for the lead.

The CRT was broken (just like my CTC-10) but the owner threw in a good 21AXP22. I recapped it but it still needs work. The color oscillator was modified and I need to get it back to the original circuit. Needless to say I have no color yet. So far it has a fairly good black and white picture. It will be about a month before I get a chance to get back to it.

Steve
Steve,

Hopefully you'll sell it to me for the same price that you sold me this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78_1_b.jpg (17.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys for the kind comments on this set. I am finally back in town now and had some time today to work on this thing. I now have a color picture although it still needs work. The IF alignment is off and I will need to spend some time with that issue. The picture is actually better than what my photos show but as I stated on this forum before I coundn't take a good picture to save my soul.

Steve

Steve Hoffman- I will sell it to you for the same price, if I remember correctly you gave me $3000 for that set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc-4screen1.jpg (58.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg ctc-4screen2.JPG (62.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Steve K.,

Good to see Living Color flow once again on that CTC-4. Nice job. And I believe I witnessed Steve Hoffman handing you three grand for that RCA hideaway set. NOT! Steve H. is a generous guy but not that generous. To many Steves in this post.

-Steve D.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow.....Man, there is something almost "otherworldly" about a Fifties era color TV...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
AK Member

Steve-

You got that set up and going quick! Congratulations on that great find! I may have to have you fix my "Director"!
Audiokarma