Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:10 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Round Tube Zenith

I see Harry Poster is selling this Zenith on Ebay. It looks exactly like the one my grandparents used to have in their living room in 1974. I've put a bid on it and shipping is going to be expensive to Virginia but if I can get it, it will be my ultimate television find. Could it be that I might actually get a Zenith roundie? I dare not hope.

The CRT is weak on all guns and the tuning knob is missing but knobs can be found and CRTs can be rebuilt. We'll just have to wait and see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZENITH ROUNDIE.jpg (26.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

That's a beauty. best of luck to you.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Talking

Well, I got it. Now comes the anticipation while I wait for it to arrive. I plan to give this set a very careful and meticulous restoration. I can't wait to watch my favorite programs and movies in all that round tube, hand wired, Zenith glory.

I've seen pictures in the gallery of how these sets look when restored and I must say the color looks fabulous. I wish they never quit making roundies.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Talking It's Here

The Zenith roundie arrived yesterday. I had no idea these sets stick so far out from the wall. It looks like it is sitting in the middle of the room. The auction listing said the picture tube tested weak on all guns. I put my B&K 430 tester on it last night and it reads full emission on all three guns, no shorts and takes a long time to drop off on the life test. Aside from a slight green halo, typical of Zenith, this looks like a new tube. The aluminum control door is bent the tube cap is cracked and the power cord with the interlock is missing but it is otherwise complete. I think I can straighten the control door but I will want to replace that tube cap. I'm going to be very particular about this one. Finding one of these sets to me is what finding a Predicta is to some others.

I took the plate cap off of the horizontal output tube and plugged the set in. I don't have a variac so I did not want to take any chances. It keeps tripping the circuit breaker so I know I've got some power supply work to do. I'm really going to enjoy working on this one.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finally got a Zenith roundie, but the sound sucks, so I am going to have to get that figured out and then would like to use it in my office. I lucked out as mine had a new picture tube and flyback installed in the 80's. And yes.... those roundies DO stick out from the wall. Do what I did and find a nice corner to put it in. Works out much better!
Audiokarma
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

How is the picture on your Zenith? Is the color rich and accurate? Once I get mine restored and figure out a permanent spot for it, it will probably be in a corner or in a bigger room. I have always loved these sets and never thought I would ever have one. These Zeniths are so well made. Everything that is usually plastic on other sets is metal on this one.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Smile First Signs of Life

I found a shorted power supply electrolytic cap and upon temporarily clipping in a replacement, it no longer trips the circuit breaker. So far, I have sound and audio reception on all channels both VHF and UHF. No picture yet as the horizontal output tube is glowing at the plate after it has been on for a minute and a half.

I had no idea these sets sounded so good. Mine just has a small oval speaker but it has a lot of volume and deep rich tone. It sound far better than my stereo tv in the living room which has BBE and all the other modern gizmos. This set definitely has that warm tube sound. If the picture is anything like the audio, this will be one heck of a television.

I have noticed that the particleboard bottom of the cabinet is crumbling around the outer edges and at the cutouts. When I get the chassis sorted out, I may see about replacing the cabinet bottom. I want this set right, no matter what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDR_0943.JPG (119.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

My parents have a Zenith roundie combination console with tube stereo AM/FM radio, and turntable. The set has lots of hours on it, and a truely weak tube, but in it's glory was a fine set. Best of luck in your resto.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check for lack of horizontal drive signal at the grid of the horizontal output tube...if there is no negative grid bias voltage there is no oscillator input signal. The horizontal output tube and the flyback can be destroyed by the overload due to lack of bias.