Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:48 PM
On Land

I've wanted to spend more time there, but my last couple of vacations have been pretty busy. Christmas holidays, buying property, several dentist office visits, and just about anything else you can think of has kept me from getting down there to the shop. Usually, it seems my visits to the shop are decided at the last minute. Can't seem to plan anything!

Also, knowing the poor condition of the sets involved sometimes discourages me from visiting. During the summer, it's a hot muther up in that attic! Can't last up there for very long.

There is a decent size stairway leading up into the attic, but to get the sets thru the main part of the shop is a real bitch! Then there are certain places that you have to be careful because the flooring is falling through. I am always afraid of knocking something over that the owner might be working on. You'd have to see this place to believe it, It really is a big mess.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll ring in, too-great finds! The yoke on my CTC-5 has that "flaky" look but has been fine. One of my favorite sets that I got rid of was a rectangular Philco-Ford that must have been just a little newer than your set. Similiar styling & chassis, but no eye. A great performer. I also came across such a pile once, an old farmhouse full of mostly bw sets that had not been touched in 30+ years. I saved what sets I could but in the end mostly just had to grab knobs & tubes because what else do you do with 20 bw consoles from 1960?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
On Land

Philco update

Due to what I discovered today, I wasn't sure where to post this. As you read on, you'll find out what I mean!

All weekend long, that Philco roundie kept going thru my mind. At first glance, it just seems like your typical 60's roundie set. But for some reason, I kept thinking there was more to it than just that.

I knew I wouldn't have time to go back to the shop today, so I was able to talk some friends into going to get it for me. I don't have a truck, so I always have to con someone into going anyway! The set arrived a little while ago. We got it into my garage, and then I started looking it over. Couldn't see much of it the other day because it was in that dark attic with only a flashlight.

I was looking at the controls, and noticed it had two S's with some kind of emblem between them. Didn't really pay it too much mind at first because I was more focussed on the missing control door below it.

Then, I did a quick peak of the chassis (seeing mostly dirt). After a quick glance, I thought it looked like some tubes might be missing, but since this chassis didn't look familiar to me, I didn't give it a second thought.

The set was found with the CRT socket hanging, so I assumed that the CRT might be out. Did a quick check with the ohm meter, and found the filaments of the 21FBP to be open. I took sandpaper to the pins to see if that would help, but still nothin. Okay, the CRT is toast. No big deal.

Then I looked for the chassis number so I could look it up. Chassis # 19MT79... Sams 1024-2. Wait a minute... folder 1024??? That number seems a bit high! My Sams only go to 730 for the most part, so I knew I didn't have it. In the index, it shows folder 1024 to be somewhere in early to mid-1969. Now, I realize that it might be as long as 6 to 12 months after a model comes out before Sam publishes a Photofact for it, but 1969? As far as we know, it seems that roundies lasted till 1966... or maybe 67 at the very latest. Could it possibly be that this Philco roundie is from 68 or 69?

Then, I got to thinking about the chassis again. I remembered thinking that the power transformer looked a bit small for a roundie tube set. So I went back and looked closely at the layout and the tube diagram. Come to find out, this baby is a roundie hybrid! The tuners, IF stages, and AGC are solid state. That explains the SS on the front of the cabinet. So it turns out this is truly one of the very last roundies... a hybrid roundie possibly from somewhere between 68-69.

If someone has folder 1024-2, please look it up and check out the schematic. Any info would be appreciated! Is anyone else familiar with any roundie hybrids? Was a CTC-20 all tube?

Below are some better photos since i got it home.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:45 PM
On Land

The controls again. The SS is located to the left of Philco. Can't really see the S's in the picture. They are located on both sides of the little red emblem. The tuning eye tube turned out to be a 6HU6/EM87.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:50 PM
On Land

The chassis. Please excuse the dirt! You can see the transistorized section of the chassis just behind the left side of the CRT.

Since it appears that the CRT failed, it might not take much to get this running again. I'm sure that some lytics might need changing, but that's easy. At least, i hope CRT is all that failed.

Audiokarma
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last roundie?

Charlie,
I recall late last year an RCA CTC-20 Roundie was offered on e-bay. Item: 2197267225. (This can still be brought up). It was touted as RCA's last roundie produced in 1968. The seller speculated that RCA was using up its stock of 21" round tubes. Maybe this is true of your Philco as well. The RCA CTC-20 on e-bay was based on the 25" CTC-38 chassis. Does this make it a hybrid set?
Steve
Old 01-19-2004, 04:31 PM
On Land

I am not familiar with any of the newer hybrid sets, but seems this one would be considered such. If we find any more of these, we'll have to add a new section to the forum... Hybrid Roundies.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:22 PM
On Land

Re: Last roundie?

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
Charlie,
I recall late last year an RCA CTC-20 Roundie was offered on e-bay. Item: 2197267225. (This can still be brought up). It was touted as RCA's last roundie produced in 1968. The seller speculated that RCA was using up its stock of 21" round tubes. Maybe this is true of your Philco as well. The RCA CTC-20 on e-bay was based on the 25" CTC-38 chassis. Does this make it a hybrid set?
Steve
I just checked out the auction you mentioned. Kinda funny in a way... he only got 6 dollars for it. That RCA sure would have been worth locating a toob for it. Those were nice looking cabinets! I like the woodwork on front of the speakers.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 PM
On Land

Looking for dates

I was looking to see if I could find any dates in the philco. About half of the original tubes were still in it. Each tube was marked "Philco Cool Chassis TV" and had a number 6805 towards the bottom... except for one... the tuning eye tube was marked 6826. On the yoke rear cover, I found 6808 below the part number. The degaussing coils have 6724 below the part number. Would it be a good assumption that these are 1968 dates, with the number week following?

I couldn't find anything on the CRT. Had no markings anywhere other than a serial number on a piece of paper.

Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Actually I think the CTC-20 is more similar to the CTC-31. The CTC-31 was used in the same types of sets as the 38 (the 22" table and 23V table and console) and has a similar chassis layout. However the CTC-31 is all tube type except it may have one or two transistors in the color killer/ACC.

I have seen photofacts for Magnavox round color sets from 1969 and 1970. These were probably produced as a lower cost alternative to the rectangular sets and to use up the stock of the round CRT's. However these were all-tube sets, as all of the Magnavox color sets were at this time.

It seems logical to me that Philco would have just taken their usual color chassis at the time (1969) and made a round color set out of it, probably just to make a lower-cost set...it could have also been a "loss leader" designed to get people in to the store:
the ad could have been PHILCO COLOR TV $299 or something like that, without a picture of the set. When people found out that it was an old-fashioned round set the salesman might have tried to sell them on the, say, $379 rectangular set.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned

In case you guys are wondering, the factory use of an original generation round color CRT is the key whether the set is acceptable for this forum. Some sand will be seen in a few sets towards the end of the round era as we are seeing. Precious few perhaps I should add. Great find Charlie!

BTW, looking at the chassis photo I think that Philco must have come from England. The HV driver section is on the left side!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 AM
On Land

Chad,

Thanks for you input. The trick of getting someone in the store for the $299 set does sound quite likely. They do the same damn thing today! Car dealers like pulling that stunt a lot.

I suppose many of these sets got sold for the cheap price very easily. Some folks might have not minded getting the round tube since it would be quite a bit cheaper than the square one. Many older folks would likely settle for the cheaper set. (Of course those older folks don't include the type that might have hung out here at AK had we been around then) For instance, given a deal like that, I know my grandmother would go for it. Her attitude would be something like, "So what the sreen is round? I've been watching round screens since TV started broadcasting here!" Or another situation would be someone wanting a floor model color TV, but simply couldn't afford the extra 200 bucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

BTW, looking at the chassis photo I think that Philco must have come from England. The HV driver section is on the left side!
Perhaps it will have an funny accent in the audio when i get it operating!

Old 01-20-2004, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Philco I mentioned had that "SS" which was a clue to me. Mine looked to be 68-69, was also a "lefty". I read somewhere years ago that GE & Philco had some of the last roundies, but not sure where. Also read a bit about there being shortages of rectangular crt's for a time.

10 years ago a local used furniture store had a sign out front, "color tv, $5". That sign stayed up for months & months. When people went in they would find out that the $5 set was a late 60s RCA, but there were plenty of late model sets for more money. I spoiled it for the guy because I bought the RCA!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen ads for Philco in "Life's" from 1967-68. They were advertising table-top Color BIG screen televisions, for like $298.00. Have NEVER seen one and was suprised someone was making them that late. Figured Philco had ALOT of 21FJ's to dump. Our repair shop was in Motorola, Zenith and RCA land, and I think they were done with the roundies by late 66. I sent Doug one of the Philco ads, maybe he will post it! (I'm too dumb to figure out how) I can't imagine Magnavox making round-screen sets after 1966......
Audiokarma