Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Nipper Rules

ctc-16xe All hope not lost

Hello all, This baby took a beating at the hands of fedex and I had to let a few days go by to cool off, as I thought that it was beyond fixing. Im glad to say im cautiously optimistic now. The tuner came loose off its mounting screws during shipping and acted like a trajectory every time the box was kicked around. 5 tubes the balun, and the nuvistor were destroyed. Im grateful for the friends on here that called me afterward and offered assurance that it could be ok. I know its just a tv, but my parents, who are long gone, saw it closing day at the worlds fair in 1965 and 3 months later it was the first color set on our suburban block, so its alittle special to me. Anyway heres a screen shot I got today and yours truly in front of it in 1968. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 stockholm.jpg (43.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 me with ctc-16 with original tuner and chassis.jpg (73.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

that's a great pic
Old 08-24-2015, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pic

Great Pic. Wish I had a few of my folks old Curtis Mathis back in 63.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM
60s Throwback

Bruce,
I'm glad all hope was not lost. Having met you and knowing what a good person you are, you don't deserve any bad luck. Best of luck getting that back to great condition.

Frank
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

So it was just a few tubes that needed changed then? Sure did piss me off to find out that they mistreated the box on the way back, especially after I worked on it. Looks like things are in order now, glad to see things worked out. I trust the issues you originally sent it to me for are still fixed?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Nipper Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
So it was just a few tubes that needed changed then? Sure did piss me off to find out that they mistreated the box on the way back, especially after I worked on it. Looks like things are in order now, glad to see things worked out. I trust the issues you originally sent it to me for are still fixed?
The wire that is coiled on the balun was broken, had to fix that, the nuvistor was actually dented and the 75ohm cable that is soldered to the tuner was ripped off . that and some tubes got it going again, the tuner is still alittle shaky, got banged around pretty good, once I get it in a good spot on channel 3 though it should be alright. Its not like they really use the moving parts inside anymore. A friend of mine told me never to put fragile stickers on anything when shipping, they target them. Its just one guys opinion but after this itll make me think twice, BTW, thanks Nick, I hope I made it clear in these posts that I ,in no way, blame you for what happened. Be well
Old 08-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Nipper Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by consoleguy67 View Post
Bruce,
I'm glad all hope was not lost. Having met you and knowing what a good person you are, you don't deserve any bad luck. Best of luck getting that back to great condition.

Frank
Thanks very much Frank, im a little embarrassed when people pay me compliments but I appreciate the sentiment. I remember the day I walked into your house and saw all the cool stuff you had, it was like deja vu. it looked like my living room too.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

These old guys can take a Lickin', & keep on Tickin' ! Well, up to a point, anyway... But I always tell "Civilians" that a well set up Roundie can usually give the latest Gee-Whiz Whimpie-Me-Diddle "Video display device" a pretty good run for its Money.. One SHUDDERS to call 'em "Televisions" any more....
Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 PM
M is for Memory

So your folks bought it off the World's fair booth when it closed, or did you just see one 'just like it' there?

I've probably re-soldered the IF lead coax 5+ times on my Silvertone CTC-15 clone....Until a few months back I could not find the service mount for the tuner sub chassis, some of the leads to it are kinda short, and it took me a while to figure out practical cable strain reliefs for it.

Sh!t happens sometimes.....On that set I once got over zealous pulling the chassis and yanked the CRT socket....Some leads ripped out, some tubes got knocked out, and the chroma osc coil got ripped off it's base. Some cussing and a deep breath later and I had a plan to fix it which worked.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-25-2015, 04:52 AM
Nipper Rules

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3141647]So your folks bought it off the World's fair booth when it closed, or did you just see one 'just like it' there?

I should have been more specific. No they didn't buy it from the worlds fair, they saw one like it. BY the end of the fairs 1and 1half year run from April 1964 to October 1965 all of the monitors there were CTC-16x. You could enter the RCA pavilion and see yourself on color tv, and I was told at some point if they had a lost kid, they would plaster his face on the tv screens around the grounds.
Audiokarma