Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Worlds Fair sets were modified with voltage doubler HV power supplies to make the picture brighter and line level inputs. The CRT's in these sets didn't last long and were replaced often. While some of the stuff from this exhibit still exists, (a power supply and the master receiver) I doubt any of these sets were kept or sold off after the Fair.

Darryl

Last edited by tubesrule; 07-06-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Interesting back story on this invoice, the history behind it, and the cast of characters involved. Really loved reading this thread.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 PM
electronics packrat

If anyone wants to go on a treasure hunt, I'll put it out here that the equipment from station W6XAH in Bakersfield, CA. still exists, and could possibly be purchased by someone. It was through the former owner of this equipment that I acquired a large pile of Lee DeForest's notebooks and papers (he was associated with the station). Some of you know of this station, which went on the air in 1932 and was a mechanical system similar to the Jenkins system.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where do we start? My thread on the TRK is now ended. Time for a new hunt and yours sounds fun. What could be found?

Last edited by Dave A; 07-11-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 PM
electronics packrat

All of the broadcast equipment from the station and various extra parts from the early 30's. I helped to move the stuff out of its original location to where it now sits in the mid 80's. It was purchased from the original owners, Pioneer Mercantile Company by a good friend and fellow collector by the name of Jesse Parker. Mr. Parker passed away some years ago, but his widow, Nevvie, and his daughters are still around. There are pictures of some of the equipment on the ETF website. In fact, I have spoken to Steve Mc.Voy about this on one occaision a few years ago. I'll have to contact a few people out there and see if I can get some more information.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

One last gasp on this. I have received more replies from the Simmons family and they are thankful for our interest. The one thing they do not have is any photos of dad at the Worlds Fair. They have been in contact with the Sarnoff Collection but they do not have any photos. Sarnoff made sure he was in them.

If anyone knows of a collection of WF 1939 RCA photos I would like to help them see dad at the WF.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

We would be very interested in the Bakersfield equipment. Years ago I was in contact with the guy who had it, but he had an unrealistic idea of its value. Maybe he would have a different take now. If anyone knows how to get in contact with him I'd like to try again to get it for the museum.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM
electronics packrat

It would be nice to see the Bakersfield stuff come out of storage. It's been unused since the mid-30s and stored in its current location for nearly 30 years now.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you google RCA 1939 Worlds Fair with images option you will see a lot of pictures of RCA at the world fair. At one of the early ETF conventions the collection manager from Sarnoff museum at the time sold individual pictures of RCA at the worlds fair. I bought a couple 8X10 photos from him but they are somewhere in my storage unit.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:09 PM
RCAGuy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
One last gasp on this. I have received more replies from the Simmons family and they are thankful for our interest. The one thing they do not have is any photos of dad at the Worlds Fair. They have been in contact with the Sarnoff Collection but they do not have any photos. Sarnoff made sure he was in them.

If anyone knows of a collection of WF 1939 RCA photos I would like to help them see dad at the WF.
Just a crazy suggestion: Arnold Chase (remember him?) was a huge collector of everything related to RCA at the '39 World's Fair. He had filing cabinets filled with items from the fair -- from the family of the RCA executive charged with creating the exhibit. Chase's extensive collection went to Moses Znaimer in Toronto -- including the restored lucite TRK-12 (that was also exhibited at the Smithsonian in 1989.) So...maybe the MZTV Museum in Toronto would have photos that include this engineer's photo?
Audiokarma
Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

It's a very long shot because none of the following is probably RCA-sourced, but you can find collections of world's fair photos on CD here:
http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf39/photos.htm
Click on a CD label to see a contact sheet.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAGuy View Post
Just a crazy suggestion: Arnold Chase (remember him?) was a huge collector of everything related to RCA at the '39 World's Fair. He had filing cabinets filled with items from the fair -- from the family of the RCA executive charged with creating the exhibit. Chase's extensive collection went to Moses Znaimer in Toronto -- including the restored lucite TRK-12 (that was also exhibited at the Smithsonian in 1989.) So...maybe the MZTV Museum in Toronto would have photos that include this engineer's photo?
I remember Arnold! I saw him as a kid on a morning show in the early '80's discussing various sets from his collection. I was fascinated with the 1920's sets and loved the little Pilot TV-37. It set me off to want to collect vintage TV's. I heard he sold off his extensive collection at one point, but I always wondered about it.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember so well having lunch w/my long time friend the late TV collector/historian Ed Reitan. Also joining us that day was Arnold Chase who was visiting Los Angeles. Great afternoon discussing all things TV. This at Ed's favorite restaurant El Cholo on Western Ave. Miss these guys so much.

-Steve D.