Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Roundie Find, In Very Sad Shape

For for the past 10 years of collecting vintage television sets I have never come across a roundie in my own neighborhood (other than my grandmothers attic) untill today. Was on my way to town today when passing through a wooded area I noticed a consol tv lying on its side in a ditch. After passing on by thinking it was probably an 80's or 90's consol that someone had thrown out, I glanced behind me and behold it was a roundie. I then put the truck into reverse to investigate and sure enough it was a Zenith roundie. So, I decided to carry it to the storage building were I keep alot of spare parts and junk. The cabnet fell apart while loading it up into the truck. Sad though, this set is way beyond my repair. The CRT looks like it is still under a vacum but the pins on the neck have broken off over time. I could probably solder the pins to test the CRT if I ever needed a spare. All of the tubes were intack so I pulled them from the chassie and put them in a box, Might come in handy for my other 2 working Zenith roundies. I'm not sure what the model # is on this one or exactly how old it is. Guessing 1963 to 1965, somewhere around there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.JPG (44.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg c.JPG (31.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg e.JPG (52.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg b.JPG (55.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got a set like this from a dumpster but it was a 4 tube Zenith Chromacolor and built a new cabinet for it...the chassis looked just as bad as this one but it WORKED! with some contact cleaning. I would not give up hope of getting it working, it will be a challenge but can be done.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

if the flyback is any good i'll buy it from you
Old 03-06-2006, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can anyone tell what chassie this is. I will check the flyback out this week,
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Could be a 25MC36... That's the only one I can find in the book with a tall upright HV box like that. Even the other MC series chasses had the low HV box. That's sad to see in that condition! I used to see lots of roundies in that condition lying around on the railroad tracks and alleys, but that was in the 80s! Not anymore...

Charles

Last edited by Kaye-Halbert TV; 03-06-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a great find, even if it only turns out to be a parts set, I always scan the roadside for TVs, even to the point where people riding in my car usually ask why I'm always looking on the side of the road, but have still never turned up anything as good as a roundie.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Keep in mind, that's a Zenith. Try plugging it in.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

lol, you have a point there Carmine, Five years ago I found a early to mid 60's 23inch Black and White Zenith set in the woods with a tree growing through it. Brought it home and pluged it right up for the heck of it and to my suprise the set came right on with a nice picture. Ive been meaning to try to rebuild the cabnet and re-cap that one but i guess it will be a project for another day. As for this Zenith roundie, Im not sure what all I want to do with it yet. I like the mask layout on this one and I have another Zenith roundie chassis somewhere. May just part this chassie out. When I get time this week Im gonna take a closer at it.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:46 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

If it has a 21FBP22 with the separate safety glass, save that, and the rubber gasket! With so many bonded tubes going bad in the face, and no more local rebuilders to replace the jelly or remove the bonded glass and band the tube, those front glass & gasket setups are getting to be like gold!

It's all well & good that there are ways outlined here to remove your own bonded glass, but that leaves the TV unsafe to implode and spray glass all over the room

Charles
Audiokarma