Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Roundie on eBay

Works, in Iowa.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:31 PM
<--1956 300B

Justout66 here is your chance to score that Zenith roundie!!!!!! Here is the link.

polaraman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...781499157&rd=1

Last edited by polaraman; 06-11-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:27 AM
jackson

That is pretty nice, first time one has been closer than 600 miles or so. I would really like to have it for my living room but I probably won't be able to afford what it brings.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just bid on it Rich! Since this one is within 20 miles from me, I will be most pissed if I don't win. Also, if I do win, I'll have to make room in storage for the RCA CTC16L I won off eBay in Februrary once it's out of the shop, as I only have room for 1 good roundie in my apartment, which means I'll make a killer deal on my Sylvania & Admiral roundies which are in storage now to anyone on AK
Old 06-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I'll pass on this one

I just finished a 29jc20 (Zenith's re-entry model back into color in 1962) cabinet and chassis completely restored, althought I did have to put a new jug in it, I had a new RCA Hi-lite tube, it has a beautiful picture
Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 AM
On Land

I had a Zenith like that one for a while, but the cabinet was trashed and the CRT went to air.

There is a certain Zenith styled very similar to this one I'd like to find. Biggest difference is that the legs come straight down from the cabinet sides instead of recessed under the cabinet like this one is. Was a set we had when i was a kid.

Jstout, good luck with this one. Sure is in nice looking shape! And only 20 miles from you? Man you can beat that! You can afford to outbid everyone else since your shipping charges will only be a few gallons of fuel. Definitely has some vivid color in that picture! I wonder what the picture is??? Must have been watchin some old Janis Joplin or Doors videos and firing up some smoke???

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Beware if anyone is deciding to bid on this. I'm DONE bidding, as I suspect shill bidding is going on. The only other bidder is someone in Omaha, and it seems odd that the person has bid on other items from this seller. I know who the seller is, and he isn't well regarded by some of the "old time" repair people in this area. I had e-mailed him thru eBay, to ask if he was who I thought he was. His answer didn't quite "settle" right with me, which I'll copy and paste and inclde below. Let me know what you think.... Here's the reply: Yes I am Don, thanks for the bid Im expecting this set to go completely out of sight. Im amazed at the no of people who have look at it. Its a very nice set.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66
The only other bidder is someone in Omaha, and it seems odd that the person has bid on other items from this seller.
It's a shame when people pull crap like this. I would be suspicious as well. It would be funny if no one else bid, and the guy placing the "fake" bids was the winner. I bet we would see the Zenith relisted later with the excuse that the last winning bidder didn't pay for it.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey all, I still have 2 roundies to let go of

BOTH are 24nc31 Zenith sets,'66 models. , (I have 3, need to get rid of 2 of them, as I am moving to a new ,smaller storage area), Ialso have a 24mc32, (mising the legs)like that one on ebay, but I think I want to keep it, as I only have the one.

I have NOT yet checked the operational condition of them, I plan to do this , maybe early next week. I PROMISE the price, if the CRT's are good and such, will NOT be near as high,. as the one on the 'bay, and I will be UP FRONT about any needs the sets have (one does need knobs)

Also, I have a 25" Zenith, '68 model, I think, and a '71 model Zenith, I thnik, to sell,too. I have (poor) pictires of all of these sets, on another post, called "moving time". I will no doubt come up with a few more thngs, to part with, as time to move nears.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:52 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000
BOTH are 24nc31 Zenith sets,'66 models. , (I have 3, need to get rid of 2 of them, as I am moving to a new ,smaller storage area), Ialso have a 24mc32, (mising the legs)like that one on ebay, but I think I want to keep it, as I only have the one.

I have NOT yet checked the operational condition of them, I plan to do this , maybe early next week. I PROMISE the price, if the CRT's are good and such, will NOT be near as high,. as the one on the 'bay, and I will be UP FRONT about any needs the sets have (one does need knobs)

Also, I have a 25" Zenith, '68 model, I think, and a '71 model Zenith, I thnik, to sell,too. I have (poor) pictires of all of these sets, on another post, called "moving time". I will no doubt come up with a few more thngs, to part with, as time to move nears.
I know what you mean about having to get rid of old TVs because you're moving. I found myself in the same situation 33 years ago. The set I hated most to get rid of, as I've mentioned in other posts, was a 23" Zenith K-2739 23" b&w console that I had completely retubed three years before. The set had a beautiful picture (as did all '50s-'80s Zenith TVs) and was in a nice dark wood cabinet (not sure if it was walnut or not). Sounded great, too, with the 6BN6 gated beam sound detector and 6BQ5 output tube, and let's don't forget that big 6x9 speaker in the base of the cabinet below the CRT. I had even patched a mono FM tuner through the audio stages (across the volume control) and eventually wound up with a nice combination unit, without the turntable. But, unfortunately, in early 1972, that set, along with all but three of the rest of the TVs in my collection, went out for the trash. Sure wish AK had been around back then. I think it is much better to find good homes for our old sets rather than just putting them out on the curb, as most people outside our hobby do; however, if it weren't for that, a lot of us wouldn't have found the great sets I've seen pictured here in the short time I've been a member. Until the high-definition TV era has been around awhile, I think we're going to be finding a lot of CRT-based color sets (mostly portables) on ebay and even at the curbs (the RCA/Thomson GuidePlus sets don't seem to last more than a few years, or until the warranty expires, before developing serious repair problems which aren't worth repairing), as these sets can still be used with high-definition digital cable through a cable box although, of course, the picture you see on these old analog sets won't be HD. IMHO, flat-panel TV won't spell the end of CRT sets for some time, but that's a topic for another thread.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 06-17-2005, 03:50 AM
<--1956 300B

I was bidding on the 21AXP22 on Ebay. Yesterday the seller pulled the auction. Said there was a problem with the item description. I would gather that somebody did a behind the scene deal for the CRT. I think that it was a real whimpy way to get the CRT. If they wanted the CRT they should have bid like the rest of us. I am going to report the seller to Ebay. The seller quite possibly cost himself some money by doing this also.

polaraman
Old 06-17-2005, 03:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes Charlie, my suspisions will be confirmed as I fully expect to get a "Second Chance" offer if no-one else bids. Color roundies (and any other color console) usually do not bring a ton of money on eBay. The only exceptions I've seen are the few CT100's , that "never used" Packard Bell, and a few 1950's RCA's. The $305.00 I had to give for the CTC-16 was pretty high for a later model roundie. I guess you guys would have to have met the seller, like I did once a few years ago to really have your guard up. There is something VERY shady about him in general anyway. He runs ads for complete radio restorations,and does business out of his house. Anyway, a few years ago, I had taken a TO 1000 to him to get the dial string replaced as I couldn't get it figured out. He gives me a call to say it's done, and when I get there he informs me that he had to go thru and re-solder EVERY connection, and do tons of other work to get it "perfect", and the charge would be $85.00. He never said one word about this when he called, AND the radio worked FINE other than the dial string issue before I took it to him. Now AM doesn't work, and the dial string still slips. He collects various items, and it seems his main interest is vintage fans, and table-top radios. He runs ads for radios, and claims to be the best in repairs in the mid-west, yet the more he goes on about radios you get the feeling he doesn't know crap. Also, if you make the mistake of admiring ANY item he has, he will try to sell it for an over inflated price, yet if he wants to buy something from you, he says it is only worth 2 cents. It's like a "bad" car salesman. LOL! Are you starting to get a "picture" of him in general? I wanted this Zenith pretty bad tho, so knowing how he is, I bid anyway, hoping nothing "shady" would go on with this auction, and now this pops up I'll keep you posted once the auction ends if I get a "Second Chance" offer like I suspect. If one of you guys decide to bid, and end up winning, take my advice, Go there, pick up the set, and RUN! If you glance at 1 other item he has, he will be like a vampire after blood, and you will be lucky enough to leave without having your wallet drained and wondering how you'll have enough gas money to get home. I was already preparing myself for a quick getaway if I won the set........ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sad. If someone is looking at this set I would take jstout's advice-and then have a talk with RCA2000!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

for all you Zenith lovers

for all you Zenith lovers ....a 1963 advertisment for Zenith TVs.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 AM
On Land

Nice looking ad... I dont think i've seen that one before.

Audiokarma