Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Ok, guess the term "burn in" confused me since that usually means creating an undesirable static image burnt-into the phospher.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

While I am trying to build my collection with more 60's TVs and such, a majority of my sets are from the early to mid 70's. Back when I got my first old TVs (all early 70's sets), my dad let me have them, but he wanted me to throw them out after I was "done" with them. I was told they were junk, and keeping them would make me a junk collector. Even with an RCA Victor table top radio I have from the 50's was junk then to my parents. Their attitude has did a 180 now. My dad now even tells people at his work that I have these many TVs, and they are all hooked together and it looks like a giant store display... I have 15 TVs in an 11x13 room, all hooked together with two 8 output video distribution amps. People's first reactions are "woah! lots of TVs!", followed by "do they work?" then by "which one is the oldest?" The oldest right now being my 1962/63 Magnavox 17" B&W. Then I give a demonstration. When I have friends come over, we sometimes hook up the Playstation 2 or Gamecube to these old TVs and turn them all on at once. They all think it's cool. They actually get sharper and brighter pictures than most of today's junk, even with video games.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

When people saw my CTC-5, they were amazed that I was able to move it into my room, let alone see a decent color picture on it. I told them that as long as I had that set, I'd never be cold in the winter. Most people really liked the pencil box on it's front, thought it was neet.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 PM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv beta guy
While I am trying to build my collection with more 60's TVs and such, a majority of my sets are from the early to mid 70's. Back when I got my first old TVs (all early 70's sets), my dad let me have them, but he wanted me to throw them out after I was "done" with them. I was told they were junk, and keeping them would make me a junk collector. Even with an RCA Victor table top radio I have from the 50's was junk then to my parents. Their attitude has did a 180 now. My dad now even tells people at his work that I have these many TVs, and they are all hooked together and it looks like a giant store display... I have 15 TVs in an 11x13 room, all hooked together with two 8 output video distribution amps. People's first reactions are "woah! lots of TVs!", followed by "do they work?" then by "which one is the oldest?" The oldest right now being my 1962/63 Magnavox 17" B&W. Then I give a demonstration. When I have friends come over, we sometimes hook up the Playstation 2 or Gamecube to these old TVs and turn them all on at once. They all think it's cool. They actually get sharper and brighter pictures than most of today's junk, even with video games.
Today's nut is tomorrow's far sighted collector. This reminds me of a time years ago in the NY subway system. There was an employee who didn't want to allow the few remaining very old subway cars to get scrapped so he literally hid them! Every once in a while some higher up would come sniffing around looking for them and it became a convoluted game of musical chairs moving them around the system to keep them from being discovered. Several more years go by and there's a push on to start a museum for the subway. Someone laments that there aren't any of those older specimens remaining. Well this feller sheepishly admits that there are in fact some old cars still around. So instead of getting into trouble he became a hero! And that's the rest, of the story.

Anthony
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

My mom and dad basically think my collection is useless clutter. Whenever they need to do something somehow something of mine was in the way. They always joked around about "we should get a dumpster and clear this crap out so I can have my basement back". I would always get offended and angered by that. Then they'd say "hey Im just joking". They were only "joking" once I got upset. This was supposed to make me feel better, even though I know they really DID want to throw it all away.
The best is when Id come home from estate sales with another TV. "Why do you keep bringing these home? We have enough already!" Regretfully, dad would help me bring a console into the basement.
Its funny, as much as my parents hate my hobby, they act like its so cool when one of their friends sees it and actually somewhat likes it! Then they say "yeah, you probably havn't seen one of those tvs in 30 years but Doug has one. He has quite a museum down there doesnt he"
Once the visitor is gone, then its back to "useless crap in my house" way of thinking.
I always told them you could have alot worse of a kid, one who always got into trouble, into drugs, failing in school. Instead you've got a kid who likes tvs and tools and keeps to himself out of trouble.
Then they would say I need to get away from the house and find more friends so I meet new people. All that In hopes that I would drop this horrible hobby and eventually throw all my tvs away, or perhaps sell them on ebay (maybe for the opening bid of $1 if Im lucky)
The friends that I did have never really cared for my hobby, but they tollerated it, so it was no big deal. Guys from work think Im crazy. My favorite general responce "why do you have all these old tvs? They arnt even cable ready, the picture probably sucks too, wtf Doug?".......All of this reaction because someone chooses to have a hobby that isnt very popular.
Too bad I dont have a "normal" collection, like stamps or coins, some kind of hobby that consumes hardly any space.
Only thing I can hope is that my tvs go up in value someday so I can shove it back into everyones face that has put me down over the years. Proving to them that this once useless hobby is now justified because its worth something now! Just so you know, monetary value of tvs means nothing to me. Unfortuatly, everyone else thinks money is the key factor to a good hobby. Think about it, most popular hobbys are based on monetary value ( for example: cars, sports cards, coins, stamps etc. The list is endless)

Since my tv collection has hardly any value, then its considered a total waist of time and effort by most people. Thats the kind of attitude I hate. Only time will tell with us tv collectors. one day, people might actually appriciate our tv collections because they will be worth something. Its really sad. Considering by the time that even happens (if it does), the TVs that we have are all that will be left!

Untill then, or tvs are only good for watching fish swim in.

Last edited by drh4683; 11-04-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hey Doug-Keep yr chin up, Bro ! I guess there's still a part of me that's a 8-yr old kid who never got over the wonder of how a TV works-it's STILL about half Magick, even if I do know all that dull stuff on how they work. Pictures in a box ! Wow !! How kewl is that ?!? And as far as folks thinking you're weird, I've been accused of that MANY times. I just take it as a compliment & go on. Most of the time I agree w/'em. Look at it this way-Anybody can like stamps, coins, what have you. It takes a special, discerning type of person to appreciate old TVs. But there must be a lot more of us out there than want to admit it, there's ALWAYS a bunch of old sets & crap for sale You-Know-Where. -Sandy G.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Thinking in color...

Doug, don't feel bad that you don't have a "normal" hobby! I collect closed captioning typos. Definitely not normal. But I'm proud to say I do it because a) nobody else does, and b) I love doing it. You may get bummed that none of your local friends share your interest in old TVs, but you know what? That's their problem.

You've got a real good point about monetary value: what's money compared to the personal value of reviving a relic of the past and bringing it into the present? I'd take pride over money, even if some of those old sets are worth a buck or two.

Hold your flag high, Doug. Your "friends" may not appreciate what you've got, but we do.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 AM
The Goodbye Look

Doug,
These are the same people who will spend 50 grand on an SUV and laugh at ME for spending 17 dollars at GW for another TT.In 20 years that SUV will be in the auto trader for the 5th time,and my Dual,or Thorens,or AR will have doubled or tripled in value,or more importantly,be appreciated by another "nut" who sees it in your house.
True story:My wife and I have a lot of vintage collectibles in our house-milk glass,china,old fire king,Mixmasters,old furniture,etc.We had one of my co-workers over once,and he said it looked "nice".Turns out he tells everyone at work that our house "is a Thrift Store".Now guess how many of those co-workers have asked about buying some of our "junk"?One guy gets divorced and cleaned out.He ends up with a beehive Oster,an HK receiver,and old 50's turquoise couch,and the list goes on.One guy tells me the Model 9 Mixmaster I gave him works better than any mixer hes ever owned.Sometimes you just have to bring people around one at a time....
Jimmy
Old 11-05-2004, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doug, I hear what you're saying! Let me give my perspective...I was only able to really start collecting TV's, etc. in a big way when I could drive myself out to get them at age 16 (although I had been working on them when I was younger, I could only get what Dad would consent to help load in the van).
When other high schoolers were getting ready for the prom I was driving around collecting TV's from the trash! I didn't even fit in with the "nerd" crowd in high school, I was just too far out for even them.

My parents were pretty liberal...although sometimes Dad would dissuade me from bringing home more sets, they were not upset about it at all. I didn't really care if the other kids were interested in what I did...I just did my own thing. The parents would not let me buy school buses, old cars or trucks (something else I collect) though, I would go to the auction and see them for $200, but they would not let me get them. Now that I'm in my own house, look out! I have 5 school buses, also 3 Grand Marquis, etc.

There is still a LOT of equipment at my Parents' house in Ohio, hundreds of radios, probably about 80 TV's, cart players, ampex tape machines, etc. I am making a dent in bringing it to my home in Texas but it will be incremental, as I can only do it when I can make a trip up there. They don't complain at all about it...it is all stored neatly in the garage, some in the attic. Some of it has been there for 11 years, since I was 16, but I will get it all hauled to my own house someday.

Doug, there ARE people who are really interested in old TV's, etc. There may not be a lot...but it is a lot better to have a few friends who you really have a connection with, than many who are just acquaintances.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 11-05-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Familiar stories to me. I started out with nothing but an 8 x 10 bedroom, at one point I had about 5 or 6 tv sets in there and probably 20 or more radios, along with the bed, dresser, desk, etc. The first old tv I bought, a 21" b/w console, was when I was about 14. I wouldn't have got it except the antique store I bought it from was willing to deliver it one day right after I got off the bus (but before my Dad got home). It was a couple weeks before my parents found out about it!

My parents were very tolerant, glad I wasn't into something far worse.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chad,

I was the same in high school. I was beyond the "nerd" group. When nerds start to tease you then you know you are in a class all of your own! That was half the fun though, being different and not being ashamed of it. Once I turned 16, tvs and lawnmowers started comming home at a rapid rate! I still have many of those mowers I bought at estate sales then (only lawnboy machines. I consider those "zenith" of lawnmowers)
Dont get me wrong, I am certianly not ashamed of what my hobby is. Its just dissapointing when all you do is take smart a$$ shots from everyone including your own family for being the way you are. It gets old....very fast. Thats whats so great about AK, we all appriciate old TVs and everyone gets along like we're best friends. Thanks for the comments guys.

Hey, how do people react when you find a tv at an estate sale? First off, the people running the sale 9 times out of 10 will say "I didnt think anyone would have bought that" or "luckily we didnt throw that away before the sale". More times they will ask "what are you looking for"... You say Old tvs, responce: "Oh, we threw them out before the sale to make more room"
Thats the worst when you hear that, and unfortunatly, thats what I hear most of the time! It may seem that I find all kinds of tvs and radio stuff, but believe me, its a very rare occurance when you factor in how many estate sales I go to each weekend. Id say I find an old tv in 1 out of 50 estate sales. basically, I might find a tv every 4 months, thats about it.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heh, I've only been out of High School for 4 years now, but I was in the same situation as Doug and Chad. I was in the A/V department, and used to go there during my study hall time. Had lots of old, tubed equipment there. TVs, record players, reel to reels, pa units, etc. That's where I scored my 1975 Sears hybrid set (it belonged to a librarian who quit 20 years before) which was my first tube TV, even though it was a hybrid. Then there was this RCA Lyceum 23" B&W TV from I think 1970, all tube, 75 ohm coax input, video line level inputs, audio line level inputs with a phono input, and lighted dials on the tuner (I love lighted dials!) I ended with that TV anyhow. Lots of stupid kids there got on me for liking the old TVs. And earlier this year, at work in the storage area, there was like an endless supply of older computer monitors and servers. I was with a coworker of mine up there looking at this old server and he was going to see if they were going to get rid of it soon. While I was up there, I noticed that there was this early 70s Admiral color hybrid tube set stuffed back in a corner. I asked the guy in charge of the IT department about that, then told him what I like to do, and got laughed at in my face, twice by that guy! Then followed the insults. What a jerk. People are very closed minded on stuff like this for some reason. I had my share of stupid remarks about my hobby.

I know I've been rather quiet here, but I really enjoy reading others posts here. This is one of the first places I visit when I get online. Too bad I didn't find out about this place until the middle of this year or so. This is a great forum. Great people and TVs.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, today was the hobby fair in our small town. I took plenty of radios but only one tv, and was debating which one to take. Finally settled on the Transvision, a '49 12" model. (kit tv) Its in a console cabinet so I just pulled the chassis (easy to do since it was never bolted down, just pull the knobs and out she goes) Hooked it up to a vcr playing "The Life of Riley". It was a real hit, almost everyone commented on it. Struck up a number of good conversations thanks to having that on display: guys who's father or uncle had built a tv from a kit; people reminiscing about their first set; many were amazed that such an old set could be hooked to a vcr; one of the local tv repairman stopped by & was telling me how he wished (for my sake) that he had saved all the stuff he'd thrown out over the years. He told about one old building here in town that was remodeled, I think in the late 80s, and the attic had been full of tv's and radios, and apparently they were all trashed because nobody was interested. I noticed that none of the kids were particulary interested, save for one young guy with quite a hobby: building all sorts of "toy" firearms, like "shock guns" powered by model train transformers and 9 volt batteries and capacitors out of disposable cameras and other evil stuff like that. He was really eyeing the can caps in the Transvision!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Re: Estate sales...in this area, the name of the vendor conducting the sale usually appears in the ad, and I only patronize certain companies. These companies know me and know I like old TV's, sometimes they even have old tv's or computers for free at their sales! Some vendors I have boycotted because they had astronomical prices on stuff or just didn't seem very personable.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Dead from the neck up

Some of my scores have been from antique dealers. They were all within my price range. There is one in Columbus, OH that I do not recommend. This one had a 17 inch RCA for 100 (twice what I will pay for an unrestored BW). The woman behind the counter (owner?) is very rude. I am just amazed at how clueless some of these vendors are. I have passed on some restorable sets because of vendor price gouging and general cluelessness.

I have not checked estate sales, since I won't pay the five dollars to look at the Disaptch online. Several of my co-workers are looking as they travel (as do I). Most of my scores have been curbside finds or those I bought at the ETF swapmeets.

The most recent curbside find I had was my Admiral color set. That was a case of good timing. I doubt I'll have that kind of luck again.
Audiokarma