Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would be too afraid one of those CRT tubes getting damaged.. So far out of two sets needing picture tubes within the past year, I ended receiving the Tubes DOA.. The last one I'm still in the process with Greyhound trying to get my money out of them.. If you could have the Tube packed really well, I would be interested..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could come and get them anytime, but it would depend on price and condition.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not in the packing/crating business. I could have some professional do it, but I won't take the responsibility.

If interested PM me.

Phil
Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

ask miniman82 about u-ship, see if roy could pick up the crt's and run them to you.lol

Last edited by snelson903; 09-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Just don't expect any special treatment, Roy is equal opportunity- he hates everyone! lol

In reality he's a great guy to deal with, I think the show producers have people get abrasive with him to get him spun up. You can always call his company direct, here's the number to Arbie's Team:

603-724-1943
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Just don't expect any special treatment, Roy is equal opportunity- he hates everyone! lol

In reality he's a great guy to deal with, I think the show producers have people get abrasive with him to get him spun up. You can always call his company direct, here's the number to Arbie's Team:

603-724-1943
actually i like roy ,he seem's to get the job done . that outlook he has comes from yrs of working around the general public ,i understand it to well. having my shop for 18 yrs im still trying become a normal person again,boy do i have story's i could tell. lol i started watching that show when i was working on that barn zenith in the basement, when he stopped at the man's house to pick up that tv it cought my attention, and i seen where he was taking it and then i seen you . i hurd what he asked you [ what do you do with those old tv's ] you said you watch the new's everynight on it ,that was funny. im sure most of the drama is made for the show , or nobody would watch.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Pretty much sums it up. Harry had said that the camera folks wanted him to ask some questions to rile him up, to which Roy replies "if you're gonna ask questions, don't hire me!" Can't say I'd feel any different, that's why you hire the experts after all.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, they are saved!

Okay, let me tell you what I've got here!

The Zenith Space Command is actually a 27KC20Q chassis. Joe actually had it powered up from time to time so I have not been reluctant to turn ons but for short periods of time. Good news is that it plays and the electrolytics run cool. The bad news is that the CRT is "toast". The G1 grids are blued, they're cooked. It's too bad as this was an early replacement Sylvania "Color Bright 85" tube. With nothing to lose I had fun with my Sencore Rejuvinator. After some intense cycling I gave it the max. The red and green actually came up and will track but the blue gun is weak and done for. I could put a brightner on it but I don't believe it will last much longer...

Loaded with Bumble Bee's, will need recapped and some general attention but has potential. Has that "exclusive" genuine faux finish cabinet and besides a little crazing towards the front edge it is really nice! I don't believe those legs are original. The vertical output cathode cap had been "kinda" replaced and some tubes but no other hacks. I need a convergence cloverleaf for it, broken in two places. I prefer not to have to salvage it but I may have to be creative. Anybody have one?

As for the other Zenith, it's the 24NC31 chassis. The CRT is uniform/strong on all three guns after I cycled my tester on it and the tube went through a bit of a wake up. I found inside a "supposed" list of bad tubes that need replaced that was written on the back of a December 1978 calendar! "Mr. Repairman" also pulled the circuit breaker and upon my inspection the thermister is open. I'm not going to figure out any logic here. I do have the proper replacements and I'll check/replace the tubes myself of course!

Besides a general going through, needing a couple knobs and a clean up this set is not too bad either. It still has the original horizontal output tube! It's on "that list" to be replaced!

So how about those CRT's?? I'm glad you asked.

1). Zenith 21FJP22- Later 60's pull with the typical halo. Shows to have a minor cathode-G1 leakage/short on the red gun but otherwise very strong/uniform on all the guns. My Sencore does a good job on shorts but I'm not going to touch it.

2). RCA 21FJP22- Early 60's pull with the red lettering on the socket. Good/strong emission on all the guns. After just a little cycling of my tester, it now passes the life test! Strange thing about this one is that there's no bonded face and I can't verify if it ever had one or where it went? This tube had been sitting for who knows how long and before the now common practice of removing cataracts became known?? I don't know. Good news is the tube is more applicable as is and no PVA to deal with!

3). Zenith 21FBP22- Early EIA code RCA tube 1962. It tests strong on all the guns as is. Short story on this one!

But wait! There's more!! (If I haven't bored you yet)

My initial plan was aquiring all this for the spare CRT's and I knew someone in the area (non-VK'er but a tv guy) that wanted a restorable roundie. Well lo and behold he picked up an Olympic roundie combo. That's ok, just the way it worked out. He's not too close to me but I do want to check out his set and take a picture of it sometime.

I did enjoy the spur of the moment roadtrip! As mentioned earlier in this post, Joe is more of a radio guy and I hope to make it to St. Louis again.

In the meantime, I'm going to have some fun with these sets! One of these CRT's will go into the 27KC20. They do deserve some attention. Due to my space limitations something will have to give but not anytime soon. I am planning on going to the ETF next year so hopefully I'll have a plan in place with what I have by then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00379.jpg (73.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00380.jpg (65.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wondering if the 24NC31 chassis Zenith cabinet has some vertical decorative wood trim on the back edge and partially on the side edges of the top of the cabinet? If so, this seems to be the model Zenith my parents bought as their first color TV in 1965! Been looking for this particular set for sentimental reasons for YEARS!!...Nice find, wish I was closer, would love to make a deal on it with you
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Is this the style you are looking for? Early American I believe?

Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 PM
sampson159

thats a fine looking zenith.carmine-loves spaghetti.always makes me laugh when i see this
Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Is this the style you are looking for? Early American I believe?

That is the style of the top of the set I was speaking of, but the rest of the 24NC31 chassis Zenith cabinet as shown in Marty59's photo is exactly what my family's first Zenith color TV set was...Brings back a lot of great memories just seeing it! Was a very solidly built set; my brother and I use to climb on top of it and jump off it over and over again, and it never budged!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton
3 extra CRT's to boot!
Indeed... Good luck and viewing to whoever gets em
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed... Good luck and viewing to whoever gets em
As I mentioned, one of 'em is going into the 27KC20Q set and there may be some use for the others. Right now it's good to have some spares around!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Yes i do realise that!!!
Audiokarma