Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very sharp looking set! I'm sure glad I wasn't having to hold onto one end of that monster. A few years ago I visited a man who has a roundie in an attic room. I think it would take an act of congress to get that thing back down. Maybe a good thing he didn't want to sell it!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Mark

My back feels a little better, I pulled 'er out and took the back off. As usual there were unwanted surprises inside,mouse crap EVERYWHERE! Amazingly, that was about it, not one thing chewed on..... whew! Good luck there. However, I did have to spend 6 hours detail cleaning and removing every piece of crap with my shopvac. I detail cleaned the CRT, all tubes {20 of 25 appear to be original} I noticed that every one that was original had the code start with 64, could this be a '64? Did they have the 25MC33 in '64? I'm picking up the sams pretty soon, maybe it'll say. I also cleaned every inch of the chassis. The micro cleaning tools for the shopvac are a must! It beats the hell out of how I was doing it before. There's a pic of me easily getting all the way under the CRT an surrounding area. I also pictured the stereo, amp and a few other goodies that are hard to see without sticking your head inside the set. I also had to clean mildew off the back, came off great. Next, I plan to recap the stereo and amp to get rid of the dreadful hum.

Roundys, Chairman Bob approved!

Zenithfan2
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd say that's a '64 model since the stereo has tubes. I thank Zenith went solid state with their stereo's in '65 or so.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I'd say that's a '64 model since the stereo has tubes. I thank Zenith went solid state with their stereo's in '65 or so.
Thanks! The older the better! I love the tube stereo, It is also wierd how the speakers are hooked right to the tv, bypassing the amp. There is a switch on the power control that connects the speakers to the tv when its on, otherwise the two units are separate entities. I am used to how the Maggies are made, everything works together and cannot be separated. The Maggie stereo gets power from the tv chassis. The Zenith stereo has it's own power cord.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can you post a pic of the radio and record changer in your combo? I'm just curious what these looked like in that time frame.
Thanks,
Tony
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chairman Bob Approved? Too cool!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 AM
sampson159

the picture on that zenith is astounding! maybe the best roundie picture i have ever seen? i thought my ctc15 was sharp,but you are the topper.congrats on a great,great find.i am happy for you.more pics in operation,please.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Can you post a pic of the radio and record changer in your combo? I'm just curious what these looked like in that time frame.
Thanks,
Tony
Sure, Id be happy to. And Ron, I am also happy to put some more pics in operation, I also plan to make a youtube video. The stereo pic is of before I cleaned out that area. I'll try to get more pics of the tv running tonight if I get time.
Also, the white paint rubbings have been removed from the front edge of the cabinet over the tv section,{pictured in above reply} goo-gone did the trick. Last night was nice, I didn't have to work on the tv in order to use it. The previous night I spent 6 hours cleaning it. Last night my daughter Genevieve and I watched 6 1/2 hours of cartoons on DVD, consisting of 35 episodes of Tom and Jerry and the original Horton Hears a Who plus the bonus features on both sets. Freakin awesome!

Tuner

Changer

Amp

Control panel
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 AM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith's older televisions were great (I had a 23" K2739 [1963 vintage, VHF only] b&w console over 35 years ago, trash day find, no tubes except the 1J3 HV rectifier and 23ANP4 CRT, but it was well worth the money I spent on new ones--the picture was fantastic, even with rabbit ears in a Cleveland suburb 33 miles from the transmitters, and even better yet on the attic antenna in my home at the time). I hated to get rid of that set but I moved three years after restoring it and had no room for it in the new house, especially since I brought my Sears Silvertone roundie table model (21") and two other sets with me.

You won't be disappointed with the results when you're done restoring the radio/stereo in your console (recapping, especially around the power supply, will eliminate the hum you mention; the electrolytics now in the set have to be over 40 years old, and probably long overdue for replacement). High-fidelity sound was a hallmark of Zenith radio and stereo (including the stereo components of their fabulous three-way consoles like yours) throughout the company's history, until they got out of the radio business in the early 1980s; their older radios have sound quality I consider to be unmatched by most others. I have two high-end Zenith radios (C845 and MJ1035) that, IMHO, sound very good (I'd say excellent for table models) owing to their two-way speaker systems (using a real speaker as the tweeter, not plastic-cased electrostatic ones as were used in smaller Zeniths such as the K731) and 35C5 (two 50EH5s for stereo in the MJ1035) output tubes.

My K2739 Zenith TV was a 23-inch b&w console with a fantastic picture (owing to a 3-stage IF amplifier strip), as I said above, and downright incredible sound that most modern televisions cannot hope to match, owing to a 6BQ5/6BN6 audio stage with tone control and a 6x9 oval speaker in the base of the cabinet. The sound was so good I eventually patched an old Knight-kit (Allied Radio Corp., now long out of business) FM tuner into the audio stage by connecting the tuner's preamp output across the TV's volume control. The results were gratifying. Great sound on every Cleveland FM station, again just using an indoor antenna, though I think I did connect the attic antenna to the tuner briefly as a test. If I had kept that TV I probably would have tried to patch a stereo turntable into the audio channel as well.

BTW, the Zenith roundie console in your avatar reminds me of a similar set we had in our electronics shop in high school 35+ years ago. The only difference between that set and yours, IIRC, was that the one in our lab was a table model, VHF only, in a faux woodgrain metal cabinet; TV only, of course. I don't remember ever seeing that set working, though, and it's probably (almost certainly) long gone by now.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Beautiful set, great find.
Checking the book "Color TV Servicing Made Easy Vol. 2" lists Zenith chassis 25MC33 as a 1965 model. The SAMS Photofact index also shows it as a '65. The set may have come off the line in late'64 as a '65 model. The tubes may also have been manufactured in 1964. What a bear that must have been to move down the stairs. Take care with your back.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Mark

Thanks for the info, Steve. I like to find out as much as possible about my sets.
Last night I set the convergence up, it looks pretty good but I think the usual selenium rectifier replacement is nessesary on the convergence chassis but that will be a later project. Picture looks good enough. The only problem I had was what appeared to be a grid to cathode short on the CRT, thank God it wasn't. It turns out the socket is bad and the connections inside are loose, if you wiggle it some of the wires get temporarily interupted causing the picture to go green, flicker colors and have retrace lines. Tapping gently on the neck does nothing, just wiggling those wires makes it happen. I temporarily fixed it with some white plumbers tape {no glue} just around the socket where the wires go in so I could work on it. The thing I really don't like is the fact that some "tech" cut corners by rigging that thing years ago instead of replacing it. The focus lead corroded and overheated melting that part of the socket, that was enough to replace it in my book. This guy soldered the wire directly to the pin on the tube {rolling eyes} I hate those kind of repairs. The guy also left all the wires in the set just hanging around in there ignoring all of the wire ties and holders, very sloppy work! Probably who ever worked on it back in '69, their name isn't on the tag. I wouldn't put my name on that kind of work either. Will update some pics shortly.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Mark

I took the socket off the CRT last night. Surprise! More problems! The guy that rigged the socket also squashed the pins flat on the tube. DUMB! So, I took the socket apart by drilling the rivets out of the fiberglass end cap. Then took each contact and squished those back to the right size. {common sense would tell most people to do this before practically destroying a perfectly good CRT} The socket is much easier to replace! Then put the socket back together with screws. Then came the daunting task of CAREFULLY smashing the pins back into shape with needle nose pliers, that turned out well. In the process I noticed the solder was knocked loose from the inside of every pin {from all the abuse} I then soldered up all of the tips so the little wires inside get a good connection. I left the focus lead soldered to the pin for now until I find a new socket, the pin is undamaged and will return to normal. The raster is nice and steady now, shown in the pics. I forgot to put the pics of the socket repairs on my flash drive, so I'll add them later. Here are some screenshots, I couldn't find the remote to pause the DVD so some pics have motion streaks but the set is looking great and I am very happy with it. Also, just to clarify, the mouse crap was not from the home I purchased this from. I really dont' think Tom ever took the back off this set, way too much undisturbed dust and crap in there {no pun intended}

This is after the repairs, flux made the pins look yucky, that cleaned off with de-oxit

You can see the flattened pins in this pic and the melted spot where the focus lead used to go. I had to take the socket apart and squeeze the contacts.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
sampson159

thank you. those pics made my day!
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wonderful screen shots. Maybe they will inspire me to get off my rear and finish my long-delayed CTC-11 project :-)

Phil Nelson
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

WOW!The bee movie doesnt look that good on my plasma!
Audiokarma