Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Ah... Computers Suck. Life was better without'em........

In some ways yes, but I wouldn't want to be without them. I think they're pretty good if not misused.

I don't have much on my computer aside from Windows and my data files. I keep the data file folder on my desktop and back up to my flash drive every now and then.

I had a new Western Digital go down in six weeks. The identical unit, a warranty replacement, stood up to near constant use until I junked that computer late last year.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

At times I miss the analog way of things like video tape to tape editing of videos I shot with my full size camcorder,Mixing music with two turntables and a mixer.Typing letters with a typewriter and snail mailing them to relatives Taking photos with my 35 mm camera and so on.

Today people cant do without them.Me too.

I always advise my friends to be careful online.Don't open any email that looks suspicious and dont know who it came from.Don't browse on bull crap sites .Stay away from pirate music/software/movie sites.Watch what you download.Run Malwarebytes and anti virus packages weekly or daily when heavy browsing is done.

Last edited by centralradio; 10-01-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Check for vented aluminum electrolytic capacitors in the power supply portions of your mother board. Very common failure. I had this happen to me on two separate desktop computers over the past 10 years. I replaced the vented capacitors and it fixed the problem. Computer booted right up afterwards.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Not sure how I got here.

It's odd how people have different experiences with the HD's.
I had a few Hatachi made IBM SCSI drives, they all ran hotter than similar drives
and they all failed. Seagates also failed, I had best long term luck with Samsung
and WD drives, both SCSI and IDE. Also, while most people were not too happy with
Maxtor drives, I found them to run pretty cool, and I never had problems with them.

And I keep them a long time, and in a lot of cases I get them used on ebay, so some have
had a few miles on them when I get them.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first computer has a Fujitsu 10gb HD in it.At the time I did not know that Fujitsu made drives.Knock on wood its still spinning.I had 2 WD drives go corrupt which I think the Dell MoBo F #$$#$ed them up.In the same Dell with the original Mobo .I had a 40GB IBM Deskstar or Deathstar nicknamed which were replaced with the two WD 160GB drives which crashed with a new refurb Mobo 6 months later .After all that I scrapped the tower.

Don't forget backing up those flash drives and SDcards.

Last year I lost my first SD card which was not recoverable from my pro recovery service as we found out the controller chip inside which sends the digital info back and forth to the memory chip fried.

I think I fried the SDcard when I shut down my new Nikon digital camera which it had lens issues.I return the camera for a refund.Lost about 4 days of photos and video.

Theres a place in Germany that recovers data from SDcards.I got to check them out
Audiokarma
Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 AM
Silver Miner at Large

When I build a PC for myself, I always put my drives in slide-in racks. I always include an extra rack for a drive that is only installed during total imaging. For that rack I maintain 2 drives that I use alternately, where I boot to CD, store a dated complete image to the extra rack. When the image has been created (one of several on each extra drive), I power down, remove the image drive, and reboot and carry on as normal.

If my main drive fails, all I need to do is purchase a new drive (or motherboard, or whatever), install it, and boot to CD, and restore the last full image. As far as hardware operations, I am back up in 20 minutes.

I also use an updated version of WinZIP that allows me to create backups of any directory structure, or defined job, I have done work on for the day. These are stored on CDRs (two for each directory structure, or backup job, used alternately).

Backup media is accomplished using two drives or disks, and each disk is used alternately, in case some corruption of the backup media occurs during a backup. In such case, I still have restoration ability, albeit a bit older.

I do complete imaging every month, before I apply any Windows Updates or other app updates.

If I want to update my OS, I can purchase a new drive and replace the current main drive with the new one, in the primary rack. Then I can install the new OS to the new drive. During the update process, until the new OS is installed and stable, I can simply reinstall my original drive and go on as normal. When it is time to transfer all my data to the new drive and OS, I can install the original drive in the secondary rack, and copy whatever I need to the new drive in the primary rack.

I strongly recommend this kind of process. It has saved my tail feathers many times over the years.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited by pustelniakr; 10-03-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

KT's main motto. To err is human, to back up your computer is divine. And please use more than one method. Use disc media and hard drives. Or other means. Hedge your bets. Your computer has a lot of your life on it. Treat that valuable data with respect.