Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Vintage Junkie

Exclamation slow rewind and fastforward problem on a 1982 RCA Selectavision VJP900T.

Good day.

Working on my 1982 RCA Selectavision VJP900T today and have come across a problem that's got me puzzled.

The machine uses three loading belts, one large one that wraps around the loading motor and then two smaller belts, why the need for three belts I'm not exactly sure but they all do the same thing. Which is to load the roller guides up to the head and back again. I replaced these belts with ones that i bought at Studio Sound Electronics and have not had a issue. The only other belt is the one that goes around the take up reel i believe, I've also replaced this as well. So i am going to rule out any belt issue. The problem i am having is when i try to play a tape it does "PLAY" fine a little shaky but it does play. "REWIND" and "FAST FORWARD" also do work but are "SLOW" the VJP900T uses a floating system for the IDLER TIRE and I've replaced that as well to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't change anything. It's as though there isn't enough tension somewhere I'm thinking?

Anybody?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageLove View Post
Good day.

Working on my 1982 RCA Selectavision VJP900T today and have come across a problem that's got me puzzled.

The machine uses three loading belts, one large one that wraps around the loading motor and then two smaller belts, why the need for three belts I'm not exactly sure but they all do the same thing. Which is to load the roller guides up to the head and back again. I replaced these belts with ones that i bought at Studio Sound Electronics and have not had a issue. The only other belt is the one that goes around the take up reel i believe, I've also replaced this as well. So i am going to rule out any belt issue. The problem i am having is when i try to play a tape it does "PLAY" fine a little shaky but it does play. "REWIND" and "FAST FORWARD" also do work but are "SLOW" the VJP900T uses a floating system for the IDLER TIRE and I've replaced that as well to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't change anything. It's as though there isn't enough tension somewhere I'm thinking?

Anybody?
Replace idler system.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

VCRs back then weren't known for having really fast Rewinds and Fast Forwards the average rewind time for a VHS tape back then was about 3-5 minutes depending on how long the tape was, they didn't have "1 minute rewind" or "quick Rewind" until the 1990s (and even then it was mostly a feature on high-end VCRs) so I wouldn't expect too much out of a VCR from the early 80s as far as Rewind and Fast Forward speed goes, I'm sure your VCR is actually working like its supposed to but you're probably just used to the "1 minute rewind" feature that most VCRs from the early 2000s on had and so because of that the slow Rewind and Fast Forward speeds of this early 1980s VCR is probably a bit of a shock for you, because you probably aren't used to it.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Most decks in those days spec'd about 5 minutes to FF or Rew a T-120 tape.

On RCAs and similar Hitachis, replacing the idler assy fixed FF-Rew problems. More to it than the rubber idler tire, there is a clutch on the pulley that mounts on the reel motor shaft, that begins to drag down the torque as it wears. Has to have a little drag on it to make the idler shift from FF to Rew but over time they get worn and have sticky rotation if you take it off and turn the pulley by hand. New ones are smooth to turn.

Here's an old pic someone posted of the idler assy Studio Sound used to stock but they are discontinued nowadays.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Most decks in those days spec'd about 5 minutes to FF or Rew a T-120 tape.

On RCAs and similar Hitachis, replacing the idler assy fixed FF-Rew problems. More to it than the rubber idler tire, there is a clutch on the pulley that mounts on the reel motor shaft, that begins to drag down the torque as it wears. Has to have a little drag on it to make the idler shift from FF to Rew but over time they get worn and have sticky rotation if you take it off and turn the pulley by hand. New ones are smooth to turn.

Here's an old pic someone posted of the idler assy Studio Sound used to stock but they are discontinued nowadays.

I think SMC Electronics carries those still...

I'm currently working on a Hitachi VT-8500A from the same time period that needs new belts and that currently doesn't have a rewind or Fast Forward function because of that. Just thought I would give you a heads up, the belts on the machine I have actually turned to tar (goo) so I had to thoroughly clean the belt goo out of the belt paths which was a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-05-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Audiokarma