Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2015, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Working on my 92 Dodge Dakota

I'm about to get some work done on my truck, a 1992 Dodge Dakota, 3.9 V6, 4x4, automatic transmission. I figured before I took it into the shop, I'd get a better idea of what's going on with it.

The transmission is currently having trouble shifting correctly.

Some back story on this: The transmission is almost new. It's a NOS transmission from a 1995 Dakota that I had put in. When the trans shop put it in, they reused my old governor and the shift points were all screwed up. I told them to replace it with a new governor. 2 days later they tell me that they cleaned my old governor instead of replacing it. Needless to say I haven't done business with them since.

So the truck has been shifting weird ever since, but recently it's gotten worse. Fluid levels are where they should be according to the dipstick. It's taking longer to shift from first to second, and from second to third. Once in third it rapidly shifts into fourth, then it works fine. Also when it's in first and second, when I let my foot off the gas it makes this weird growling/sputtering noise as the RPM's wind down. It does not do this in third or fourth.

This is difficult to explain, so I shot a short video as that will explain it a lot better:
https://youtu.be/sIeP_U3iOLw

Some things to note before watching: My gas gauge reads empty because of a bad sending unit. I have a new fuel pump with new sending unit ready to put in.

The truck needs a new muffler and exhaust. I have the replacement muffler, will get that put on as well.

At the end of the video you'll see the battery gauge moving when the turn signal is engaged. I wonder what's drawing so much power to make that gauge move like that.