Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

B/W Tvs from New Zealand

HI Guys,

Just been looking through the postings/pictures etc in the Vintage TV section of AK and I realise I am not alone in this weird madness of collecting old black and white TVS!
The ones I have got are mainly Philips-based on a Dutch design but built here in NZ in the early 1960's as we did not get TV untill the 60's snd colour arrived in 1973 for us.

The three Philips sets in the pics all have the same chassis-called the S8B, series filament wired and live chassis no isolated transformer, just big huge dropping resistors across the top of the chassis which swings out an on a huge frame. They use P-Series valves eg PCL85,PCL84,PL504,PY88,PCF201 etc.. they have a high imedance audio output stage which Philips called HI-Z-meaning no output transformer, just a dual cone 8" inch 800 ohm speaker connected the output valve with coupling caps in circuit- and the sound quality that comes out is very impressive. They have two pcbs inside with the lineoutput stage in the middle. These models were prone to Lopt failure and leaky caps etc.. the usual things that happen to old b/w valve Tvs as you guys will already know..
All the sets still go and still produce a good picture for thier age. The console one is the best of the lot, with twin speakers at the bottom of the cabinet, the sound is awesome with amazing bass response.

Just thought you guys might be interested to see some foreign old tvs on here

Cheers
Glen