Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2016, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

New guy, new to hobby, looking to find out what's wrong with my set

I am absolutely new to vintage TV's. I bought this B/W portable on eBay for 50 bucks and have used it for approx 5-10 hours. Every once in a while a snap, crackle or pop. Last week the picture went away completely accompanied by a loud piercing noise (sounded like when you call an out of service number but don't hang up). Anyway, I did open it up and blow much dust out and turned it back on and the picture was back but quite frankly I am afraid to turn this set on and just sit back and watch. Oh god that noise, if I hear it again I will have a heart attack. I do have a fire extinguisher near my sets as well. My questions are (1) any info on the set? (2) Would an absolute beginner be able to do anything of consequence inside repair wise? I wonder what is wrong. (3) There is one local repair man who could maybe work on it but he wants the model number and probably schematics, any idea where I can find them? PS: Are there any books about repairing vintage TV's that lay out the basics I could buy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160319_165129.jpg (42.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20160319_165153.jpg (27.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20160427_180556.jpg (54.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20160427_181628.jpg (55.4 KB, 36 views)