Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Apparently I'm in the wrong buisness, then. So let me get this right: some of you guys wouldn't pay more than $100 for a vintage TV, but for a tv repair sign you'd plunk down $300? Like I explained to the guy on Ebay, he's selling that thing for more than I've ever paid for one of the sets it would hang behind. Something about that dosn't add up to me, but then again I am a strange one.

Just for comparison, I paid $125 for a CTC-4 not long ago- that's less than a third of what he's asking for the sign... I'll take the set. :p
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I haven't purchased one because of what they're selling for. But what they sell for determines their worth. Not what we want them to sell for.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
sampson159

i agree that people put too high of a value on items.he does have the right to ask what he wants for it.this is a unique item and there is not anything else to compare it to.i wouldnt insult the guy though.let him list it and see what happens.chances are that he wont sell at that price and have to relist or find another venue to sell it.pawn stars,american pickers,antique roadshow do give inflated values to items.i really dont think that they can get these kind of prices.they also have to realize that if you want a quick,fast sale,you have to leave room for profit.too many look to ebay,etc, for a value.i sell everyday and generally i follow these guidelines.i long for the days when people just simply told you their price without the spiel about ebay,cl,tv,etc.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Seems like simple supply & demand to me. There are many more TVs than TV signs out there. I could fill a barn with old TVs from the local craigslist. I have never, ever seen a TV sign locally.

And, as noted, you're probably competing with sign collectors as well as TV collectors.

Phil Nelson
Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
This guy's smokin crack!
No, I think he's smokin ground up bakelite!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

To me advertising collectables are always way overpriced - but - this is coming from me, someone who didn't think twice about dropping 150$ cash + 20$ for gasoline to purchase that 1960 Zenith Entertainment Center "The Frederiksburg"
Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now, this one is really smokin' crack:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-Hoffman-AM...item3f06ea1da6
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Now, this one is really smokin' crack:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-Hoffman-AM...item3f06ea1da6
$100 on a good day. Have fun unjamming that Glaser-Steers - I love 'em, but it's a hell of a lot of work!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

The people who buy these signs up are probably not the TV collectors. They are the same morons who only collect remote controls but don't want the TV that came with it. Its all fluff and usually those people have plenty of cash to burn so who cares what the seller wants, he'll eventually get what he wants and I don't think he'll have to wait very long. Hes probably been to this site and sees everyone go insane over these "roundies" that everyone talks about too and figures if the TV's are worth it, why not some old sign to go along with it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

That RCA sign is beautiful, he may get $750.00 for it.
Must be the new fad, some metal oil company signs are trading for $1000 now.
Does any body want to buy some cabbage patch dolls new in the boxes, never used ?
Audiokarma
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have to agree with Steve and Bryan. I think that sign is easily worth what the seller is asking. It's much older than the common outdoor sign linked earlier, and it may be the only one you will ever see for sale in that condition.

The price you paid for your CTC-4 before is irrelevent, as it was priced well below market and you got a steal.

The seller with this sign must think your a real jerk for trying to lowball him. I think you're way out in left field for whining about this. Any seller would be stupid to offer it cheaply. Only by starting with a high price can he work the market to his advantage. The fact that there have already been 6 people that made offers will clue him in that his sign is in demand. It's probably only a matter of time before someone snaps it up at the asking price. And you've certainly helped him by giving him all this free publicity.

If the sign was there with a $100 BIN price, you'd see it sold almost instantly, and a lot of people upset that someone had beat them to it.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
The price you paid for your CTC-4 before is irrelevent, as it was priced well below market and you got a steal.

OK, so I guess I'm the one who's not seeing this for what it is then in your opinion? I'm the one who's wrong for buying a CTC-9 for only $99 as well, maybe I should have tipped the girl working the counter at Goodwill.

Fact is: WE'RE THE ONES DOING THE PRICE INFLAMING!

Quote:
The seller with this sign must think your a real jerk for trying to lowball him.

More power to him, though he probably thinks I'm a jerk for reporting his auction as misrepresented than any other reason. It's not 'mint in box' if you took it out of the box.

Quote:
I think you're way out in left field for whining about this. Any seller would be stupid to offer it cheaply. Only by starting with a high price can he work the market to his advantage.
Working the market is one thing, but offering this at $400 to start is to me no different than the CL people finding a split chassis Philco and 'working the market' by starting at $1000. I fhe started at like $250 I'd say OK, but 400?

Quote:
If the sign was there with a $100 BIN price, you'd see it sold almost instantly, and a lot of people upset that someone had beat them to it.
I wouldn't have started at 100 either, like I said 250 wouldn't have raised so many flags for me. But now that I know the deal with the seller, I won't be back.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

just bought my ctc4 nice shape for 100.00
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Administrator

The new trend on eBay seems to be list something with a high opening bid but have a "Make Offer" option.
I won't usually bother making an offer if the opening price is way too high.

I wouldn't pay $400 for this sign, but that doesn't mean someone else won't.

It's a bit too plain for $400, I would expect something animated or a clock at least for that money.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberts View Post
That RCA sign is beautiful, he may get $750.00 for it.
Must be the new fad, some metal oil company signs are trading for $1000 now.
Does any body want to buy some cabbage patch dolls new in the boxes, never used ?
I assume you're talking about the outdoor sign. It's probably worth that but since he's asking $325 in the ad I'd refuse to pay more just out of principle. Of course that's easy for me to say since I'm not interested in it.
Audiokarma