Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

It was hard for dealers, especially small ones, to carry a lot of different colors of appliances in stock since there were so many of them. And, white always was the best seller so you had to have plenty of them. Usually colors were ordered and often the kitchen ones were sold in sets for new homes or remodels.

I remember in my grandfather's store in the 70's about the only non-white appliances he had in stock were harvest gold or blue. I imagine in the late 50's and early 60's the more likely in stock colors were pink and turquoise. If he had other colors it was more likely to be laundry equipment. I think that was because those usually went in the basement and people were less picky about the color. And, if somebody wanted a fridge in brown he could say here's what the color looks like on a washer and I can order the fridge and have it in a couple of days.

Some makers tried offering appliances with changeable panels of different colors. That way the dealer didn't have to keep a lot of colors in stock and just put in the right panel on delivery.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Not sure how I got here.

CF; Love that paint link ! ! !

Here is the color I painted my '73 Mustang......

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/c...r=2495&rows=50

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/c...&scomm=Gremlin

Mine was Fresh Plum Metalic.... Might be slightly different than the link....

But that Gremlin looks just like it....

Remember the commercials for that car....?

Girl drives into a gas station...... Attendant, old guy, cigar smoker I think says... "What happened to the rest of your car toots".

They would be killed today for an ad like that......

ahhh, the good old days.....

Follow that up with a "The Cool refreshing health taste of Salem Cigarettes..."

I think today, I could get into a Gremlin.......

Last edited by Username1; 03-19-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
But that Gremlin looks just like it....

Remember the commercials for that car....?

Girl drives into a gas station...... Attendant, old guy, cigar smoker I think says... "What happened to the rest of your car toots".

They would be killed today for an ad like that......

ahhh, the good old days.....

Follow that up with a "The Cool refreshing health taste of Salem Cigarettes..."

I think today, I could get into a Gremlin.......
Haha, gotta love it. Take that feminists. I would prefer a '76 Gremlin. In regards to the ads for smokes, they occupy the entire back covers of my vintage Road and Track magazines that I have checked out thoroughly. Could be on all of them for all I know. I have a bunch from 1977 to 1985.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I've been looking for that commercial on youtube, but no luck so far....

But I found this one for a pacer... I remember seeing this on tv when I was a non-driver....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49fT3ufReI4

I always liked the '77 LTD, all cars without a metal window frame I use to think were cool.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miIaKSed3sc

Alright I'm just wasting time with this.....

Ok, just one more..... this is funny stuff..... Why don't they do in depth
comparisons like this anymore.......?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYhCRLPbn8

bye..

Last edited by Username1; 03-19-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I just rescued this Eaton-Viking dryer from certain scrapper death. You wouldn't believe the trouble I went through to get it.

Meh, the top trim damage was my doing, oops.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just this week I was working at the home of an 85 year old customer of mine (painting her dining room). I commented on her mid century serving cart and we started talking about old appliances etc. She pointed out her Harvest Gold elctric stove and said: " . . it still works great, the only problem is it's gold." That's not a problem I said, that's awesome. The problem is that it's electric. She went on to tell me that until recently, she had a matching fridge, a Kelvinator, and that some power surge in a storm did it in. : (

Al
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
I just rescued this Eaton-Viking dryer from certain scrapper death. You wouldn't believe the trouble I went through to get it.

Meh, the top trim damage was my doing, oops.
I see the Canadians did it right, regarding the four prong plug.
IIRC, the NEC outlawed the use of the neutral wire for grounding the machine, in all new installations, starting with the 1996 code.
BTW, who made the laundry machines for Eaton's.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I see the Canadians did it right, regarding the four prong plug.
IIRC, the NEC outlawed the use of the neutral wire for grounding the machine, in all new installations, starting with the 1996 code.
BTW, who made the laundry machines for Eaton's.
It's a re-badged GE. This one's pretty special as it's not only a defunct brand, it's a Canadian brand, and I don't think we ever had many of our own brand names.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Several dishwashers back we had a Kenmore that had those interchangeable panels stored inside the door: you could have black, white, green, harvest gold, or brown. They were painted a different color each side of the panel so I guess there were three panels. Can't remember what was on the leftover side! Wait, I think it was woodgrain as it was from "that" era, 1979.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

This Kenmore (Sanyo) model 99931 micro/convection oven arrived at my thrift store yesterday, got it for a fiver before my discount. It's freaking HUGE and weighs a TON. I can't find anything on it online. Sure beats the chinason, er, Emerson we currently use.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 AM
M is for Memory

I think my folks had that same microwave when I was growing up. I remember a power surge took it out and ComEd(our local power company) fixed it for us for free...We had it for years, but I can't recall what became of it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think my folks had that same microwave when I was growing up. I remember a power surge took it out and ComEd(our local power company) fixed it for us for free...We had it for years, but I can't recall what became of it.
Maybe I ended up with it? Seriously though, I Google image searched "Vintage Kenmore microwave" and came up with some very similar units, the closest one in appearance with a manufacture date in the posting being from 1980. A couple new feet, a good cleaning and it'll be ready for prime time.

The power output I think is 1400 watts; different measurements from today's microwaves I believe, but it still seems like a lot. Nope, just checked my pics of the back label again, it's 1500 watts.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Similar in size to that Kenmore, we had a 1975 Litton Microwave with mechanical, scroll-digit timer.
It was given to the church kitchen, and it stopped heating in 1986. All it needed then was the return diode and its still working.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I saw a slightly newer Kenmore microwave, still with a woodgrain finish listed for free on the local classifieds. The ad was about four days old and had "PPU" in the subject line, so I asked about it. It is supposed to be picked up today; I hope the person taking it, if that person does show, is not a scrapper. Considering the delay in pickup, I would guess not.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford
Here is a link to a site, that has the different colors of appliances. It lists them by year and the company.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/c...ppliance&con=m
Wow thats quite a useful site,Muchos Gracious my friend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin
Those units made in the 60s-early70s were the biggest energy hogs and, just like the cars, got WORSE in the later 70s.
Yes but I would rather have something OLDER that is made better than this newer garbage made from 2000 on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I think the WHOLE "Green" thing is about 90% crapola anyway.
Yes its all crap...... That stuff doesnt run well and is unreliable for the most part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun
Because new stuff is junk that is why there are so many issues with things not enough pride in the factories and employees it is all about the money...Timothy
Sadly people have been conditioned to be satisfied with garbage and its sad......

I have seen people (Even my own parents) take perfectly GOOD things and replace them with something else (Which isnt as good WHICH THEY THINK IS BETTER!) -- Its really sad what the elite have done to people...... (To make them easily managable (Those with WEAK MINDS are most vulnerable))
Audiokarma