Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudioal View Post
DuMont 108 dial plastic installed . . .
Looks good. Where did you get it?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Looks good. Where did you get it?
Guy named Mark in Atlanta custom made it. He does radio dials mostly, but sent him photos and he did it no problem. Had to send him the brass ring, but he even used the original rivet points to attach new plastic. I was the prototype, so I had to pay for him to make the mold. If you wanted one for yours, it would be cheaper for you since he already made plastic mold. I just told him to fit to brass ring, make it convex about 1/8 inch out and put a hole exactly in the center for dial knob.

Looks awesome and it's heavier plastic too. Hard to get a good picture of it b/c of all the reflections.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Workin' Late Again

Dial plastic turned out great.

And I can't get over the original finish on that set. Someone must have taken very good care over all those years, not to mention it must have spent it's life in a very controlled climate. Seems here in rural Wisconsin people tend to use up their old furniture.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Dial plastic turned out great.

And I can't get over the original finish on that set. Someone must have taken very good care over all those years, not to mention it must have spent it's life in a very controlled climate. Seems here in rural Wisconsin people tend to use up their old furniture.
The finish on the set is amazing! Almost 100% perfect. Tim found it in Buffalo at a random Estate Sale one weekend. $25! Must have been inside (not an attic or basement either) it's entire life.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Al, do you still have the original first pics I sent you of that set when I was at the estate sale?

I ended up picking up the set in West Seneca NY. Estate sales around here usually have half price on Saturday, and the set was marked $50. It was cold as hell that day and it snowed the night before pretty good, so I think I was the only "fool" interested

I happened to see a cabinet in the photos for the sale that looked like it *might* be a television, and I had nothing going on, so figured what the heck. It had clothes piled all over it in the corner of a very large bedroom that was desperately in need of a paint job. I don't think that set had moved from that spot in my lifetime.

Texted Al with a pic, then a pic of the model number, the whole time not realizing that it was the EXACT set that Al had been looking for! Good thing I happened to bring my dolly.....$25 and 15 minutes later it was in my van.

Sometimes luck just hits you like that
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Al, do you still have the original first pics I sent you of that set when I was at the estate sale?

I ended up picking up the set in West Seneca NY. Estate sales around here usually have half price on Saturday, and the set was marked $50. It was cold as hell that day and it snowed the night before pretty good, so I think I was the only "fool" interested

I happened to see a cabinet in the photos for the sale that looked like it *might* be a television, and I had nothing going on, so figured what the heck. It had clothes piled all over it in the corner of a very large bedroom that was desperately in need of a paint job. I don't think that set had moved from that spot in my lifetime.

Texted Al with a pic, then a pic of the model number, the whole time not realizing that it was the EXACT set that Al had been looking for! Good thing I happened to bring my dolly.....$25 and 15 minutes later it was in my van.

Sometimes luck just hits you like that
Not sure if I still have those first photos. Gone through a phone swap since then. I will have to look. Luck is not the word!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Workin' Late Again

It's fortunate that those clothes piled on top did not amalgamate with the finish. I don't understand the chemistry involved, but some fabrics and lacquer just like to melt together.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tried to take some better photos of the new dial plastic on the DuMont 108. Other photos had bad reflections. Hard to even tell the plastic is there in THESE photos. Guess that is a good thing?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (72.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (79.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (90.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi!

Very nice sets and great work too!
If you want to make the modern electrolytics look vintage you could remove the plastic foil. I always do this in my sets because it looks much better and older in my opinion

Greetings Josef