Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
I have a pile of raspberry Pis as I use them for development in my day job, but not for video. Not sure about the Chroma though, I am unaware. Also I havent seen a composite jack on them since the first model or two, So unless its hidden in the 3.5MM jack I dont see composite?
The chroma is turned on and off using a setting in the config.txt file used by the RPi during boot up.

The composite video output is on the 3.5mm jack now.

Last edited by benman94; 06-05-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found the easiest way to get classic tv show content to play on my vintage TV's with the proper aspect ratio without going through a convoluted processes is just use one of those media converter boxes that are listed on Ebay. i got one of those a few months ago & they work nicely. i download a lot of my classic TV shows off of You-Tube, Which i got a large collection. i use a program called YT-download, which downloads them as mp4 files. i just copy them to a flash drive & plug it in this converter box.
The converter box has both a NTSC (via coaxial or composite video) & HDMI outputs). the RF outputs to channel 3 or 4 (NTSC)

the pictures below are showing playing Mr Lucky off of the attached flash drive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASTC TV Box-1.jpg (55.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ASTC TV Box-2.jpg (58.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Resident Lunatic

The boxes that have been suggested are fine, but they come with a major caveat: usually very limited codec support, and infrequent firmware upgrades (if ever). The RPi is a bit more future proof, and certainly more powerful.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1 View Post
...snip...

the pictures below are showing playing Mr Lucky off of the attached flash drive.
For better or worse, still in copyright until 2056. Or available thru Amazon at 99 cents.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I use the crap out of amazon prime, hulu, etc.. So I wonder if maybe a Raspberry Pi with Kodi or something along those lines would work out.

And then there are android TV boxes I can plug into the modulator. Then the TV box/modulator doesn't have to be in the same room as I can then control the TV via my phone, or etc. Same thing with Kodi on the Pi.

OOhh. that gave me an idea. I could make a small little relay gizmo for the TV to turn it off an on as well from my phone. Or maybe chinamart has one. But eh.

Hm... thats a thought. Thanks for all the insight.
Audiokarma
Old 06-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
I use the crap out of amazon prime, hulu, etc.. So I wonder if maybe a Raspberry Pi with Kodi or something along those lines would work out.

And then there are android TV boxes I can plug into the modulator. Then the TV box/modulator doesn't have to be in the same room as I can then control the TV via my phone, or etc. Same thing with Kodi on the Pi.

OOhh. that gave me an idea. I could make a small little relay gizmo for the TV to turn it off an on as well from my phone. Or maybe chinamart has one. But eh.

Hm... thats a thought. Thanks for all the insight.
I stream all my content over my home network. You clearly thought along the same lines I did. My current setup uses two RPis, one with the burst off, one with it on. Monochrome is on four, color on two. The color box has an optically coupled relay which is connected to a color roundie, the monochrome box an identical relay connected to a black and white set (currently a 630 clone).

When not in use, the B/W box shows a WWJ-TV test pattern from the 40s, and the color box shows color bars.

I have a small app I wrote for my tablet. I select a program. It determines if it is B/W or color, streams it to the appropriate box, and then turns on either the color set or the B/W set. There's a two minute delay where the pattern or bars are still shown to give the set time to warm. At the end of the program there's another two minute delay with a pattern or bars. If I fail to select another program, the set in question is shut off.

I went to all this trouble because I have a tendency to fall asleep in front of the TV and don't want a vintage set to run until I wake up hours later.

The only major caution I can give regarding relays is to NOT use a latching type. Somehow one of my 630s was turned on while I was away (bug in my code?), and the latching relay failed in the closed circuit position. No harm was done to the set, but it's scary to come home to a 70 year old television running after being away for a long weekend. I went to a cheap optically coupled type and haven't looked back.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, I recapped the blonder tongue AM60-550 modulator that I have, it works. Mostly...

However, I get a black and white picture that rolls. my handheld TV it looks "ok" and its a black and white watchman, So I tried my modern color CRT and its displaying a black and white picture with rolling, basically no vertical lock.

adjusting the video modulation only brings buzz in the audio without making anything better.

any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually it might be my goofy TV box. I think it may be in PAL, but I have no idea how to switch it over.

Not to mention the audio starts lagging behind the video during playback over time which I think is stupid. its an MX10 box.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine will do that if I dont have the antenna right. Lengthening, shortening, or moving the antenna's stop mine from doing that.... if I understand correctly what you mean... kind of a thick area/line that moves from bottom to top.

Try a DVD player. or digital converter box.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats what it was, the box was set for 576I instead of 480I The blonder tongue is working great ;-)

And yes I do have an interference bar that moves up the screen.

I am using one of those twinlead antennas that connect to FM stereo recievers, I am using Channel 6 which is vacant and is within that antennas band.
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2018, 05:52 PM
M is for Memory

I've had better luck following this video's advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dhRt7tmd4
I don't have an antenna analyzer, but I know that on a dipole like that shortening a dipole by the same percentage of length will have the same effect on impedance match/SWR on any dipole of any frequency.

One additional trick: sometimes a ground loop develops between cord and or power supply and or signal grounds in the system which will cause hum. On my main rack all the BT modulators (and only the BT modulators) are powered by a single 120V isolating transformer that lets the ground prong of the BTs float. I could have possibly fixed it by isolating all my signal sources but 12 of them (including a PC) would have required a bigger isolation trans than I could fit and I may have had to come up with isolation for the CATV line which would have been more work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
What are you guys using for signal sources these days?

I would like some direction/opinion from you guys.
I bought an eBay $8.00 hdmi to composite video with RCA jack and l/r audio RCA jacks out.

It works and makes as good a picture to display on an NTSC set as I need. powers from the HDMI cable.
Cliff
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah yea I saw those but I didnt know if they actually "worked" or not as they seemed so chineasy.

BTW, Hows the 'ol 12LP4 holding up cliff?