Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Issues with V-K on Firefox

I noticed a huge slow down when using FF to view VK - the page loads are very slow, and there seems to be a memory leak of some sort.

Win10, FF 54.0.1 (the latest, per FF) and no other windows or tabs open, short of my email using 9MB. AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarmPro active, with no security notices or alerts.

When loading V-K pages, FF quickly shoots up to about 250MB of usage, and crawls/leaks even further, with no page action (links clicked, ads changing, etc). It's now crawled up to 412MB.

Close V-K, and go to Amazon, and the page loads at 146KB, go to Google, and it's at 117KB, no leakage either. Back to VK, and whoomp - back to 272MB immediately.

Flushed cache/temp internet files, no difference.

I downloaded and installed AdBlockPlus - no change. Turned off for now. AdChoices ad for RockAuto showing currently. I was on their site last night, so a cookie is working.

Malwarebytes and AVG give a clean bill of health to my system, so something about VK page load is messing with Firefox.

BTW, Internet Explorer 11 shows V-K using only 67MB - still a lot, but a lot less than FF.

Any ideas?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have Windows, and use Linux, but I can certainly see the same issue, though I don't have visible slowdown.

http://i.imgur.com/nWWN6Xw.png

It appears to be the ads, it keeps refreshing the page every few seconds, pulling more data. If I click and hold on the back button, it's flooded with Videokarma, even though I only went to the home page, and stayed there, not following any trail.

With that, the issue is entirely with rogue advertisements (which I'm sorry, is why I use an adblocker. I simply don't trust these ad providers anymore).
Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Update - I just rebooted my system, and FF came up saying AVG plugin has stopped. Ran AVG, no problems, restarted FF, and FF Updater service became active - it showed RAM usage at 671MB, settling down to about 240MB. I let it run a minute, and it went to 102MB, and still sinking. Once it sat at 68MB for a while, I restarted FF, and voila, an update is active. When it finished, and with just Google.com showing, RAM usage of 123MB reported. I have two plugins - one is AVG, and the other is Logitech Setpoint for my cordless mouse. Neither is the problem - I can stop both and no change except a 1MB drop without the Setpoint plugin or 12MB drop when AVG plugin is disabled.

My guess is FF was downloading an update, and somehow piggybacking on VK page loads. V-K page load now shows 198MB - still high, but quicker. Add a tab that loads only Google.com, and it adds 20MB initially, settling down to only 3 MB added to the RAM usage - V-K uses 30X that.... so something is still wrong.

I'd use IE 11 for V-K if the "Manage Attachments" window didn't crash IE. My work around for that is to leave the window open, but that's no real cure. Other sites don't like IE11, so I converted to FF for now. At home, on my Linux machines, FF is a speed demon. On WIN10/V-K, I can type, and the message window has to catch up..

ARF, and other forums don't slow like V-K.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I don't have Windows, and use Linux, but I can certainly see the same issue, though I don't have visible slowdown.

http://i.imgur.com/nWWN6Xw.png

It appears to be the ads, it keeps refreshing the page every few seconds, pulling more data. If I click and hold on the back button, it's flooded with Videokarma, even though I only went to the home page, and stayed there, not following any trail.

With that, the issue is entirely with rogue advertisements (which I'm sorry, is why I use an adblocker. I simply don't trust these ad providers anymore).
Ditto on my Linux Mint machine(s) at home - I use ABP plugin for FF, and don't see the ads. ABP plugin uses some 45MB or more in FF under WIN10, so I don't use it here.

BTW, what distro?

I think it's a script that reloads the ads, and it eats memory, somewhat cumulatively, nibbling along. I remember the old YouTube memory leak from the days of Windows XP - that got fixed by YouTube somehow. Everyone thought it was their Windows computer or IE, but CNET did some studying and found a script YT was using had gone rogue.

If not for being forced to use Outlook, I'd be using Linux here. Outlook tasking doesn't work with Linux and Wine.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Ditto on my Linux Mint machine(s) at home - I use ABP plugin for FF, and don't see the ads. ABP plugin uses some 45MB or more in FF under WIN10, so I don't use it here.

BTW, what distro?

I think it's a script that reloads the ads, and it eats memory, somewhat cumulatively, nibbling along. I remember the old YouTube memory leak from the days of Windows XP - that got fixed by YouTube somehow. Everyone thought it was their Windows computer or IE, but CNET did some studying and found a script YT was using had gone rogue.

If not for being forced to use Outlook, I'd be using Linux here. Outlook tasking doesn't work with Linux and Wine.
I think that's the script too, whatever changes the ads, it certainly keeps making the issue work, and so far, on Chrome, I use Ublock Origin. I do white list some sites to support them, but I have some filters that prevent issues like this, and it was triggered on VideoKarma (namely anything that refreshes the page for whatever reason).

My distro is Kubuntu. I grew up on KDE back 17 years ago, and while I've tried many other distros over time, I come back to KDE in the end (though I would like to forget KDE 4 ever existed, that was a nightmare--during that time I preferred Xfce, so Xubuntu was my distro of choice).
Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm using FireFox 54.0.1 with the AdBlockPlus plugin on Windows 7 Professional and VK page memory usage is currently 73.09k. Mom uses a fist-gen iPad mini which I cannot install an ad blocker on; ads on Kijiji pages take up so much memory that pages frequently crash and have to reload, sometimes several times before aborting the attempt and displaying an error message. Due to that and being slowed down by the lack of an actual keyboard and mouse I rarely touch the thing. Mom is a light user and doesn't know how to type so it works well enough for her.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I think that's the script too, whatever changes the ads, it certainly keeps making the issue work, and so far, on Chrome, I use Ublock Origin. I do white list some sites to support them, but I have some filters that prevent issues like this, and it was triggered on VideoKarma (namely anything that refreshes the page for whatever reason).

My distro is Kubuntu. I grew up on KDE back 17 years ago, and while I've tried many other distros over time, I come back to KDE in the end (though I would like to forget KDE 4 ever existed, that was a nightmare--during that time I preferred Xfce, so Xubuntu was my distro of choice).
UBlock Origin - did it! Page loads are far faster, and it reports several scripts blocked. Page load size is under 200K, finally.

I hope Ublock is set and forget - so far, it's asked me about two scripts - one looks like an adsense thing, and the other is go.fr.siem or something like that. I blocked them both, but will have time tomorrow to play a bit more. Rain has backed up things here, and my day has been busy.

Thanks for the tip on UBlock Origin.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

No problem, I love Ublock Origin. It's been very set and forget for me, at least on Chrome. On Firefox I've never used it, but I'd assume it's mostly the same.

As for the site creators here, if they can sort out this rogue advertisement problem, I'd be more than happy to white list this site, but certainly not if these sites are trying to run scripts on my browser. That I will not allow.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the Java and JavaScript crap and its relatives.We have to deal with this crap all over the internet. I also running FF with ABP on Vista OS and having no issues with it.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks for all the Java and JavaScript crap and its relatives.We have to deal with this crap all over the internet. I also running FF with ABP on Vista OS and having no issues with it.
Interesting .....

I am an old guy and not all that computer savvy . Some years ago , i noticed that every time "Java" updated itself , my computer ran slower (still using a laptop I paid $3K for in 2006) . I did the restore disk , and then selected to turn off ALL automatic updating , deciding myself with the help of a computer savvy friend which program actually needs to be updated or not . So , I've had java demanding to be allowed an update for about the last 5 or 6 years now and in no way will I allow that to be "updated" into slowing my computer down with it's hidden script BS . It's funny , the big "YOUR DATA COULD BE AT RISK !!!!!" screen I get from them , I then click on "cancel java update" and my computer still runs as new .

PS , yes I DO use an adblocker with firefox and no , I do NOT feel one bit guilty , I have been literally bombarded by intelligence insulting vapid advertising for better than 60 odd years now , and I believe I've seen quite enough of it to last TWO lifetimes .....

Last edited by init4fun; 08-08-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
PS , yes I DO use an adblocker with firefox and no , I do NOT feel one bit guilty , I have been literally bombarded by intelligence insulting vapid advertising for better than 60 odd years now , and I believe I've seen quite enough of it to last TWO lifetimes .....
I'm old enough to have seen a lot of commercials on cable when it was still worth watching, and besides, I rarely buy anything new so there's no point in my viewing ads to begin with.

I'm using an old HP-Compaq microtower from about 2006-7 which *could* have been a good machine had HP not deliberately crippled it, i.e. by rigging the PCIe x16 slot so it can't use a graphics accelerator card. Oh well, I got a free Lenovo a little while back with a useful PCIe x16 slot that can take 16 gigs of RAM so I'll build that one up as I can.

By the way I also use NoScript Security Suite but it's kind of a pain as I have to manually whitelist scripts just to get sites to work. Once all those I use regularly are covered it's all right though. Sometimes I can't see or use something on a site and don't know what's blocking it; in that case I just go over to Chrome.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Interesting .....

I am an old guy and not all that computer savvy . Some years ago , i noticed that every time "Java" updated itself , my computer ran slower (still using a laptop I paid $3K for in 2006) . I did the restore disk , and then selected to turn off ALL automatic updating , deciding myself with the help of a computer savvy friend which program actually needs to be updated or not . So , I've had java demanding to be allowed an update for about the last 5 or 6 years now and in no way will I allow that to be "updated" into slowing my computer down with it's hidden script BS . It's funny , the big "YOUR DATA COULD BE AT RISK !!!!!" screen I get from them , I then click on "cancel java update" and my computer still runs as new .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I'm old enough to have seen a lot of commercials on cable when it was still worth watching, and besides, I rarely buy anything new so there's no point in my viewing ads to begin with.

I'm using an old HP-Compaq microtower from about 2006-7 which *could* have been a good machine had HP not deliberately crippled it, i.e. by rigging the PCIe x16 slot so it can't use a graphics accelerator card. Oh well, I got a free Lenovo a little while back with a useful PCIe x16 slot that can take 16 gigs of RAM so I'll build that one up as I can.

By the way I also use NoScript Security Suite but it's kind of a pain as I have to manually whitelist scripts on almost every site I use. Once all those I use regularly are covered it's all right though. Sometimes I can't see or use something on a site and don't know what's blocking it; in that case I just go over to Chrome.
Yes.TV is loaded with ads and they are more cutting into program run time as ever before.I got ABP running on Chrome too.I can see the advertisers freak out if there was a full ban of these scripts online.Thank goodness for ABP and other ad blockers.So long to Google Ads,Adchoices ETC. Forums and other websites got to make cash and not load up users computers with rubbish. I still get this annoying Shockwave Flash error on some websites with FF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWSnap1383 2017-07-27, 14_34_23jk.jpg (51.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by centralradio; 08-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio
Hey central.. Try disabling scripts and see if things are faster for ya buddy!! (I usually have them disabled)
Old 08-26-2017, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hey central.. Try disabling scripts and see if things are faster for ya buddy!! (I usually have them disabled)
Thanks.I've done that with Chrome.Now I will try it on FF.

Now I've been having issues with FF not playing some Youtube videos.YT videos play fine on Chrome.Thats another whole topic in its self.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Old TVs are better!

I don't have any great answers, but you might try using the Opera browser. I have had no problems with speed on Chrome, IE, or Opera with VK or any other site. I had a problem with Firefox though as somehow the browser kept bringing up a ransomware warning, making me have to use task manger to close out Firefox. Used several virus/spyware checkers and found nothing. So I removed Firefox and reinstalled it, and later the same thing came up, so I took Firefox off all together and don't use it. The ransom-ware has never appeared again in any of my other 3 browsers. Also I found ad blockers slow things down quite a bit, so I just have to put up with the ad's
Audiokarma