Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up My latest eBay prize!

Here's the latest addition to the collection.
Picked this beauty up on eBay for $19 +$10 Fed Ex
Didn't need it, got 3 more like it but hey $19!! couldn't NOT bid on it.

CRT checks like new and it's in really good condition except for the plastic screen for which I have a spare.

Has a raster but no sound or video, not even any snow, may just be missing a voltage somewhere (tubes checked OK)

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whiterca.jpg (28.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 01-18-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:19 AM
On Land

Hi Folks, I am Charlie and just joined this forum you guys have going here. I've gathered a small handfull of sets over the years, and wanted to share with you. I have been looking at the ones you guys have here, and they all look fantastic!

ERIC H....

I see that big Curtis Mathes set you have! Well, it was kinda hard to miss <laugh>. May I take a stab at your set having the "8E" chassis? (Sams 615-1) I have the same set pictured below, but in a different style. This was the first TV that started my collection, and the first set I learned to work on. For a beginner, I found it very easy. The chassis was a breeze to go through. The picture I ended up with came out pretty good. The stereo in this thing rocks! Has a very impressive speaker system in it. I changed the "creepy eye" 6E5 tube in the stereo with the 1629 and adapter, still had the origional Curtis Mathes 6E5 in it. The cabinet my set is in has a very nice finish to it. This has been my daily watcher now for 7 years, and has been trouble-free. That big cabinet is sturdy for stacking, as you have also demonstrated with your Curtis Mathes picture!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:38 AM
Banned

Charlie,

Welcome aboard! That is a really fine console. I see some really large woofers hiding behind those grilles. Can you tell us more about the speakers and audio amp in that beauty? There are a few people here at audiokarma who are interested in sound equipment.

How about posting pics of your other sets too.

Thanx for sharing.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 08-22-2002 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:07 AM
On Land

Hey Rob

Thanks for the welcome!

The Curtis Mathes pumps up the volume with 12" inch woofers, and the accompaning mids/tweeters. Sound is pushed out with a set of 6BQ5's. Unfortunately, the tv is not putting out its sound in stereo, but the quality of the sound is so impressive that a person might not notice. The amp has inputs for an aux, so, I plug in a CD player there from time to time. It has a very clean sound. I would have never expected something from 1963 to play so well.

A few years back, I came across a guy that had 3 CM multiplex adapters that I picked up for 20 bucks. One of them had never been out of the box, and was the correct unit to connect to this system. Now, I can listen to the FM in stereo. I have saved the other two mpx adapters. So Eric H, if you are reading this, I think I have another mpx adapter that will probably fit your CM system... if you don't have one already.

There is my predicta. I got it from a man here in town. I spent some time on this to get it running, and learned very quickly that these are a pain to work on! It plays now, but still needs a few tube sockets changed out and the flyback could use some dope to fill in the cracks of the insulation. Of course, you see one Predicta, you see 'em all. I assume that the stand-up barber poles are easier to work on.

I have a late 50's wooden Magnavox 17" with chassis V2704AA. I found this in a junk shop in town, and couldn't understand how it got there! This set looks almost mint! The inside was extremely clean and nothing had been changed other that a few tubes. It played ok when I got it home, but I changed a few coupler caps and the picture became more stable. The picture now is really good... only thing i need to do to it is turn the deflection yoke just a hair. The front has alot of shiny trim to it, but I feel that they could have used more attractive knobs. This set was supposed to have legs, so I plan to get some made one day.

Also below is a Motorola 21" that a relative gave me. I think it is from 1959. It needed new tubes in the tuner. I went thru all of the caps and tubes, but it still have a sync problem. The stronger the signal, the worse the sync. I thought maybe the AGC needed to be turned down, but this set has no provision for adjusting the AGC. It has a copper chassis (TS564). I have always liked the styles of Motorola TVs and radios. I think they are easy to pick out in a crowd. I feel that this set will put out a great picture once the sync is fixed. .

On top of the Motor is a Telefunken Jubilate 105 radio I got while driving thru New Mexico. It just needed a little cleaning on the inside. The cabinet has a very attractive grain in the wood and a very shiny finish. It is loaded with Telefunken 12AX7's.

Below the Motor is a Magnavox record player with wood cabinet. A friend gave me this one, although record players are not something I look for. I think the amp in it runs on 6V6's. Has good sound to it, but I think it runs a hair slow.

My Sentinel is there as well. Found it in Houston and probably paid too much for it. It plays, but needs work. I have not messed with this one yet. One day I will get in there to see what it needs. Probably needs caps.

Hope you guys like the sets below.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-07-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Banned

Charlie,

The 6AQ5 was a popular small power tube for hi-end consoles in the 60's and some all tube integrated amps and receivers. As long as you stayed under 18 watts they could sound really good. The 6V6 octal is another great output tube in the low power class.

That 21" Motorola set on the wooden turned legs looks similar in design to a 1965 RCA color set I have which I havent had a chance to start restoring yet. It's H. output tube hot plates.

Please put any pictures of your vintage radios in the Antiquities Forum as we just deal with TV here.

Great pictures! Thanx,

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2002, 06:58 AM
DBerning

Stereo conversion

Charlie-
You can have stereo out of that TV! Of course the obvious way is to buy a cheep stereo VCR and hide it inside, but if you want to do something really cool, take one of those extra multiplex units and modify for TV. You need to retune the coils for something around 15 kHz (I forget the exact frequency) instead of the 19 kHz used by FM. I used a Dyna FM3 for this purpose many years ago when stereo VCRs were more than $600. The coils can not be tuned that far by themselves, and you will need to add parallel capacitors across the windings.
The other thing you will have to do is to remove de-emphasis capacitor on sound output detector in tv audio which filters out the required 15 kHz stereo pilot signal. Good Luck!

Dave
Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a good idea, converting an old FM-MPX decoder to operate with MTS tv audio, BUT, remember that MTS audio's L-R component is compressed with dbx noise reduction and must be re-expanded to sound right. Many cheap tv sets and vcr's use a cheaper circuit to achieve the required expansion, but they do re-expand the dynamic range of the L-R component before it reaches the matrix that reconstructs the L and R signals from the L+R and L-R components. The MTS pilot tone is 15.734kHz (same as the horizontal sweep rate), by the way. Did you know that b/w sets originally used 15.750 kHz as the horizontal sweep frequency and 60Hz as the vertical? When color sets were introduced, the sweep rates were slightly altered to 15.734kHz and 59.97Hz respectively to eliminate some pesky interference that was a byproduct of the chroma channel.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Talking

Hi Charlie, nice to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to have one of these monsters!

I don't know which chassis it has but I have an extra one because for one day I owned TWO of these things.

The second one never made it off the truck, It was a beater with a bad CRT and the cabinet was junk so I stripped out all the guts and busted the cab small enough fit in my trash can.

I found this one at a thrift store for $15 and it is near pristine!
The CRT is somewhat weak but watchable, the tuner was messed up so I had it rebuilt. I haven't done much with it since, it works but needs some caps.

Mine doesn't have the eye tube, it has the CM logo in that spot on the dial. Is the octal socket on the back of the radio where the multiplexer plugs in?

Eric
Old 08-27-2002, 10:08 AM
On Land

Eric H

Yeah, I would have done the same as you... keep the better cabinet of the two, and get the guts out of the other. It takes a big house with many rooms to keep more than one of those. They are nice looking pieces if you have a spot for it somewhere.

The model numbers on the TV and stereo chassis are stamped on in ink. If I remember right, the model of my stereo is 29C. You must have a slightly different model if your stereo doesn't have the "creepy eye". Too bad, because it would display really cool on the front of your system. I kinda wish mine was on the front like yours instead of the top. Then I could stack more stuff on the cabinet without having worry about getting to the slide doors on top! My cabinet looks more "old fashioned" and yours looks more "modern" for the early 60's

Yes, the octal socket on the back of the stereo is for the MPX adapter. Also, there will be 3 rca connections. If yours still have the labels on them, one should say MPX out and the other two should be MPX in. Yours would probably use the same adapter as mine as I assume that they probably had one adapter that covered several different stereo models. My uncle told me this was a pretty pricey system when he bought it. You would think that the MPX would have come with it instead of being an "optional accessory".

Another set of RCA's back there are for the tape input, which should be the 2nd position on your front selector switch. I plug my cd player in there and it sounds great.

Old 08-27-2002, 02:48 PM
AK Member

Thumbs up Charlie COOL TV's!!

COOL TV Sets!!
Some very COOL collectible sets you have! Looks like there are in very good shape.I do not have much more room,but collecting these would be a great experience!

Quote:
"Trust Me I Know What I'm Doing!"-Sledge Hammer
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2002, 02:17 AM
On Land

madpioneer

Mark...

We never have enough room! But somehow, we always manage! Glad you like the sets. There are SEVERAL cool sets in here... and in the color set thread as well. I especially liked seeing Mr. Spock on that round picture tube!

Old 09-02-2002, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 8TV41 console. TV / Phono / AM-FM-SW radio.

This one was a bear to get working, the horizontal wouldn't lock up. Ended up being an open 2.2 ohm resistor in the filament circuit to the 6AL5 Synchrolock discriminator, which is inside the HV cage - hidden from view, and the resistor is next to the tuner - go figure!

Chuck
Old 09-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Chuck, that is a fantastic set!

I just picked up a 721-TS Here are a couple pics of the chassis.

It looks like it hasn't been touched in decades

And this is after cleaning it with a brush and vacuum cleaner

Eric
Old 09-03-2002, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Eric,

Looks like a nice set, chassis wise. How's the cabinet condition?

Missed one of those on Ebay the other morning, $75 buy it now, and just a few miles from home.

Did you get the schematic for it? If not I can scan it in a few pieces and email to you.

Chuck
Old 09-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckA
My 8TV41 console. TV / Phono / AM-FM-SW radio.

Chuck
Chuck,

That is one heck of a nice console. Looks H E A V Y. Congrats on the restoration.

Rob
Audiokarma