Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 AM
60s Throwback

Very nice set. My friend's mom had the exact same set, and it had a great picture and sound.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
And if you buy some 6GH8 tubes, look for NOS Sylvania. RCA manufactured tubes did not hold up. For that matter, toward the end, RCA bought the 6GH8 from Sylvania and rebranded it RCA because they were better.
The 6GH8 was RCA's "Milestone Tube"!
The OEM 6GH8's used in the last tube type RCA's, the RCA logo was printed in white.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Motorola Minion

I always found GE tubes to be least troublesome. I agree about RCA, I had better luck using a 6U8 in an RCA anyway.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I didn't get time to mess with it last night, slaving away printing photos in my darkroom for mother's day haha.

The top priority is to get the color to stay, I think it was goofing up my attempt to set the purity, as I got no red screen when I set the switch on the back to "raster" and turned off blue and green. And my blue lateral adjuster and purity rings seemed loose and sloppy

More to come.........
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

You're off to a very nice start. CTC 21 what year would that have been? Your jug looks very good. Almost like it were a very low used set. I remember taking those big heavy sets out of basements when I was in my teens. Man, that weight did a job on your hands after you got it out of a basement and loaded into a truck. I changed quite a few flybacks in my day on RCA's. Zeniths seemed to have good flybacks, but the triplets would go especially in a home that had smokers. That tar would coat everything in the chassis. We always cleaned the screen of every tv serviced. It always brightened up the picture.
Sony KV-1220U
Audiokarma
Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe the set is a '67 model. I got around to cleaning the controls and have a better, more stable picture now, got the color killer pot cleaned so it seems to stay in color now, I found a 10 uf 350 volt 'lytic cap under the color demod board and replaced it. Purity set up, static convergence is much better now, but the dynamic leaves a bit to be desired. I can't find a schematic online so I might hit up my local library to see if they have any Sam's books there.

The sound is a bit scratchy, that volume knob pot is hard to get to. All the sound circuits on this appear to be solid state and it looks like the amp part of this beast has a separate power supply (also solid state)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The library doesn't have any Sams.

I tried to look up the number on that diode pack on the convergence board and got nothing. Anybody got a pinout on that?

Also whats the deal with the motors on the back of the tuners? I don't think this model had a remote......
Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
The library doesn't have any Sams.

I tried to look up the number on that diode pack on the convergence board and got nothing. Anybody got a pinout on that?

Also whats the deal with the motors on the back of the tuners? I don't think this model had a remote......
Check the early television museum for that schematic.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Did you already look to see if it is or isn't there? (It isn't). You are sending him on a wild goose chase.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc...ams_color.html

Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Chances are, the set was equipped with a remote control, as the manual tuned sets didn't have motor driven pots on them. Some of the manual tuned sets did have a motor driven tuner, but that's about it.
I don't remember where the remote receiver was located. Maybe on the TMA or mounted on the main chassis. Another senior moment.
Audiokarma
Old 05-16-2018, 05:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Did you already look to see if it is or isn't there? (It isn't). You are sending him on a wild goose chase.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc...ams_color.html

That's why I said check ETF , for him to check to see if it's there. If I checked already myself and it was there I would have told him it was at the ETF. No goose chases.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That's why I said check ETF , for him to check to see if it's there. If I checked already myself and it was there I would have told him it was at the ETF. No goose chases.
The point I was trying to make is if you had checked yourself, he wouldn't have to.

Sometimes it's just makes a whole lot of sense to check yourself first rather than give a blind lead to someone. It was probably quicker for you to have checked the ETF site than it was to type in your post. Took me less than 10 seconds to look and see it wasn't there.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Guys, guys, simmer down, no goose chase here. ETF only has roundies.

I fixed the scratchy sound, there's a 3 pin connector near the power transformer on the chassis that was dirty.

As for the lack of a schematic, that is motivated by my cheapness, Sam's wants $22 for a single folder (881 folder 3 in my case).
Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
Guys, guys, simmer down, no goose chase here. ETF only has roundies.

I fixed the scratchy sound, there's a 3 pin connector near the power transformer on the chassis that was dirty.

As for the lack of a schematic, that is motivated by my cheapness, Sam's wants $22 for a single folder (881 folder 3 in my case).
Look for an online outlet selling second hand original hard copies. The quality will completly beat the official Sam's and usually one quarter the price.,

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sucked it up and got a digital Sam's. I replaced that pesky diode pack with discrete silicon diodes and BAM! nearly perfect convergence

Audiokarma