Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Classroom record player pricing

Back in the '90's, I could get classroom record players (the Califone, Audiotronics, and Newcomb variety) for a few dollars. Most of them needed work; but, parts were cheap back then.

Today, not nearly as many of these turn up on the local scene and when they do turn up, people always want too much money for them. Looking on ebay, most of them are what I consider overpriced and most of them just sit there, getting relisted week after week.

Today, I was at a local flea market and spotted a Califone 1430K. This was one of the newer ones from the mid-to-late '80's (grey case, off white motorboard, black metal tonearm, black plastic platter, and blue writing). My first thought was, "since it's at the flea market, it will be cheap." Well, WRONG! They wanted $45 for it and it had obvious issues. The metal hinges, case screws, and corner protectors had light-to-moderate surface rust on them. The tonearm rest was loose and the tonearm would not stay attached to it's rest (probably why the stylus tip on the 89T cartridge was busted off). Lastly, the paper instructions that are glued inside the lid were dirty, moisture damaged, and looked like a critter had been chewing on them. I didn't attempt to power it up to check it's operating condition.

I asked the flea market people to call the owner to see if they'd take less; but, they were only willing to knock $5 off the price. IMHO, $10-$15 would have been a generous price for something in that condition and I figure whoever owned it probably used ebay as a price reference.

I don't know why these things have suddenly become "valuable"; but, people need to get off of the "it's old and this is what they go for on ebay" way of thinking and come back down to Earth. If I wanted to pay an ebay price for one, I could shop from home and the reason I hit the flea markets is because I'm looking for a fair price.

The sad fact is that some poor unsuspecting soul will buy this record player and then discover that it does not work when they get it home. Then, they'll either be out their money or end up having to pay someone such as me to fix it.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never see school type players under 50 these days, and thats for unrestored ones. The one exception was a mid 80s cheapie i found at a garage sale for 10. i think its supply and demand... Theres just a lot more people into vinyl now. Not like in the 90 s when the supply outweighed demand and stuff went cheap.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:58 AM
M is for Memory

I had one similar to what you describe (only brown case) about 14 years ago. I got it for under 15$ IIRC it was missing the cart, lid, and the stereo speakers. I was able to come up with all but the lid. It was a SS unit IIRC, and it was the best sounding phono I had owned up until then. I sold it in a garage sale when I moved away, and have regretted it ever since....Man did the folks ever make me sell and trash a lot of good stuff during that move! If I had a time machine I'd have to visit my own garage sale and buy it all back.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-23-2014, 02:10 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If I had a time machine I'd have to visit my own garage sale and buy it all back.
Yes, but would you haggle?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Followin' the Rules...

I wonder what the market is for them?

Audiophiles would loathe them.
Today's kids have little use for them.
Folks like me either have one or a suitable player for their records.

I guess it all boils down to not knowing the market, or greed, two of the three most rampant issues with eBay these days, right behind the Chinese dumping.

I've got a Caliphone 1430C I got at the local thrift store for 14.98. I paid their full price, as I had no way to test it, and my stock of Astatic cartridges (89T) is exactly one.

Brian, have you tried public surplus.com? They show up there all the time here in Virginia, and usually with the headphones to boot. Schools and other government institutions sell their excess, old stuff on public surplus. I got a show school division's vocational electronics lab there once for 218 dollars, and sold 11 of the 39 items on ebay to recover my costs.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wouldn't mind a bit to have a nice, good-condition Califone-As well as I remember, they had pretty decent sound, were built like BATTLESHIPS, & likely were easier on records than MOST of the portable type players were.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I wouldn't mind a bit to have a nice, good-condition Califone-As well as I remember, they had pretty decent sound, were built like BATTLESHIPS, & likely were easier on records than MOST of the portable type players were.
I have two Califones, but I like the VM the best.
IMO, it's built better and sounds better, than the other solid state models.
Typical VM quality.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPegs View Post
Yes, but would you haggle?
The me then selling or the present me buying?
I know I haggled then (as I wanted to see as little of the unsold stuff hit the curb as I could). But the I of now would probably be happy to pay the asking prices of some of the stuff I let go then.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Motorola Minion

I just saw two Califone 1030 record players (non-stereo) at the PA state surplus store for $15 each.

They will be there a while, since few visitors there appreciate classics. They look barely used.