Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rose Parade CTC 10

Here are a few shots on my CTC 10 of the Rose Parade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SN852029.jpg (50.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg SN852025.jpg (74.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg SN852033.jpg (88.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg SN852040.jpg (71.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg SN852026.jpg (72.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great shots, Tom. I think the reds on your CTC-10 are even better than the reds on my CTC-7.

Go Badgers!

-Clark
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ctc 7

Don't see how, CRT's are the same. 21CYP22's . Great looking set tho. RCA's rule in the world of first color.

Last edited by Tom S; 01-01-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Workin' Late Again

Those looking mighty fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Don't see how, CRT's are the same.
Yup they all should be anyway!!!! -- If you turn your colour settings higher it might produce what looks like better colours though
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Don't see how, CRT's are the same. 21CYP22's . Great looking set tho. RCA's rule in the world of first color.
A ctc7 uses the 21CYP22. The ctc10 had changed to a 21CYP22A.

Pete
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure of the actual difference in the two tubes. Perhaps they changed the phosphor chemistry to increase brightness? I believe that my two good 21CY's are "A" types, but the poor one in my 7, a re-built with screen blemishes, i.e. dead dots, and poor focus, is an original type. Lousy pic, but amazing greens.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Pete, when we going to see Pics of your CT 100?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
Not sure of the actual difference in the two tubes. Perhaps they changed the phosphor chemistry to increase brightness? I believe that my two good 21CY's are "A" types, but the poor one in my 7, a re-built with screen blemishes, i.e. dead dots, and poor focus, is an original type. Lousy pic, but amazing greens.
Are the screen colors different with the sets off?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Hey Pete, when we going to see Pics of your CT 100?
Hi Tom,

A couple months ago the IF started tilting its bandpass shape; a light thump with the foot in front of the set straightened out things for a while, but it got worse and never passes the signal properly via the second detector to the first video amp.

But applying composite video to the composite interface adapter (I had built and added to the set) produced the usual excellent picture.

Then a few weeks ago soft horizontal bars at the line rate started rolling through the picture (but not when using an RF input!?). It looks fine though if you don't watch from 'engineers' distance.

Finally yesterday the picture turned, well, rubbery. Got mad at that and checked stuff till I found a bad/weak 12AT7. It's the sync-amp half I think was causing the problem; the other half is in the vert sync sep ckt.

So, to finally answer your question: I have been watching early Laugh-In shows that Steve Dichter had confirmed some years ago were shot with TK-41's. I found and made screen shots of the 3rd Laugh-In show because a couple of times it shows a TK-41. But, not only the camera can be seen: what it shot is also shown. Never saw that before. Am going to start a new thread w/the CT-100 screen shots.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Deksnis; 01-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
the composite interface adapter (I had built and added to the set)
Pete, not to stray too far off topic, but is that a video preamp as described in the 1956 RCA Broadcast News article? I made one of those about a year ago and wasn't crazy about the result (probably due to my lack of skill as a scratch builder).

http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_1.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_2.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_3.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_4.jpg

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Pete, not to stray too far off topic, but is that a video preamp as described in the 1956 RCA Broadcast News article? I made one of those about a year ago and wasn't crazy about the result (probably due to my lack of skill as a scratch builder).

http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_1.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_2.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_3.jpg
http://www.antiqueradio.org/art/BROA...EWS_0656_4.jpg

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil,

[Slow response to posts cause: Thursday the Internet crapped out in the senior bldg where I live, so am once a day trudging thru the snow to my kids' house for an on-line stint. They incidentally are in FL for a week treating my grandsons to Disney World. Yes, wish I were there too.]

There's a PDF that formed the basis of my part of a 2011 EFT convention presentation on composite interface adapters. It documents some changes to the basic 1956 RCA circuit using the 12AT7. I'll get it too you somehow; I tried but this site won't let me upload it though it's only 2.66 meg.

Pete
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pete, I sent you a PM with my email address. If you send me the PDF, I can host the info on my website and post the link here.

I'll add a link to that from my CT-100 article as well. I recently moved my CT-100 to a place where I can watch it more often and I'd like to see what its picture looks like with a direct video input.

Thanks!

Phil Nelson
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Pete, I sent you a PM with my email address. If you send me the PDF, I can host the info on my website and post the link here.

I'll add a link to that from my CT-100 article as well. I recently moved my CT-100 to a place where I can watch it more often and I'd like to see what its picture looks like with a direct video input.

Thanks!

Phil Nelson
Phil: I'll get the pdf to you at my daily web-time tomorrow at about this time. There's another file I may send also that documents my production of the units made back in the middle of 2009; it never was linked to the outside world.

BTW: Those "...soft horizontal bars at the line rate started rolling through the picture...." mentioned yesterday are gone. Don't think I'd believe this if it didn't happen to me, but yesterday I finally broke out the humidifier and after six or so hours when when the set was powered up, the bars were gone. Go figure!

Pete
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bingo! Pete, I modified my video preamp per your instructions and it works very well. I have never seen such a crisp, rich picture on my CT-100. Alas, we are plagued with house guests for another couple of days, so no more on that topic for now.

Back to the original topic -- Tom, that CTC-10 looks like you have really dialed it in. As a CTC-7 and CTC-11 owner, the first thing I look at in screen shots is convergence issues at the far edges. I wish I could get either of those sets to look as clean as your CTC-10 does in those photos.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma