Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Carmine, you make no sense. As to my last sentence, it was just an example to try and show you why I think the seller isn't jumping on your offer, obviously you don't understand it because you just think you're right and have decided you don't want to listen to anyone else's thoughts. Even though I thought you would, since you took the time to explain it all and complain about it.

It makes me someone who has been following VK for a year and someone who knows how another thread you started snowballed into a crazy mess that got closed by the admin, which is why I'll leave you to your nonsense whining.

Because money works.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Calm down boys. It sucks but it is what it is. Another will pop up somewhere, someday.

New poster, you might want to get to know people better before commenting. We all have our hot buttons as I'm sure you do. Sometimes, it's best to leave them alone.

If you've been following VK for a year, why would it take this thread to get you to speak up? Nothing overly new here. I feel the same way as Carmine but I also agree with Nick that an owner can do whatever they wish. It's frustrating but nothing to lose sleep over or tear each other new aholes over.

Last edited by ggregg; 04-27-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
Calm down boys. It sucks but it is what it is. Another will pop up somewhere, someday.

New poster, you might want to get to know people better before commenting. We all have our hot buttons as I'm sure you do. Sometimes, it's best to leave them alone.

If you've been following VK for a year, why would it take this thread to get you to speak up? Nothing overly new here. I feel the same way as Carmine but I also agree with Nick that an owner can do whatever they wish. It's frustrating but nothing to lose sleep over or tear each other new aholes over.
Perzacly !
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I really don' t know what's going on here but here's my 2 cents worth.

DreamInColor if you are the owner of this set and are willing to sell it for the right price please just come out and state what it is, if you're bound and determined to "Repurpose" it state that too.

If you just get kicks aggravating people who collect old stuff we can do without you here, if not then welcome to VK and please let us know what your passions are.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN

This is the exact reason why I stopped checking Craigslist. To many flakes. Fruits and nuts. I once posted I had free firewood ....for free idiots kept calling and wanted me to deliver and stack it... then there was the Guy who had a tube caddy packed full of good TV tubes.$75.00,said he was willing to negotiate on price, 2 he's later I get there he is not there,I ask his wife and she said he would take $60 ... but he now was keeping the tubes (must have found out about values of sweep tubes) anyway that was the final time I ever plan to check Craigslist
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Perzacly !
+1 - Cool it, guys - lots of unnecessary animus here, startign with what I think was a misinterpretation of the ad.

The seller said he is *not willing* to sell the cabinet. He is willing to sell the guts. He is willing to give a discount if you do the work of removing the guts instead of making him do it. That all was very clear to me, and it doesn't matter if someone wishes they could buy the whole thing. He's not selling! (Maybe you could change his mind with MORE money, but obviously not with only "his full price," which was for the guts only.) He said he had a possible buyer for the guts, but if that fell through, he would talk to you. I call that being fair to the first offer that he accepted.

I think it's a shame to break up the set, but the seller hasn't done anything in his offer that's dishonest as far as I can see.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I currently have 11 vintage TV's. Out of those 11, 7 have been purchased (very reasonably, dirt cheap even) off of Craigslist. Craigslist has it's issues but I've purchased all three vehicles I currently own, both my motorcycles, and over a dozen antique radios off of Craigslist at prices I would never be able to find somewhere else. I've sold at least a dozen motorcycles, 4 cars, and many other things on Craigslist. It's basically replaced newspaper classified ads. The easiest way to deal with idiots is to say no or ignore them. If you don't use it, you are missing some good stuff. I have only made 2 purchases off ebay in the last year and don't plan on using it any more often than that. There are all kinds of games on ebay too, just different ones.

Last edited by ggregg; 04-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
This is the exact reason why I stopped checking Craigslist. To many flakes. Fruits and nuts. I once posted I had free firewood ....for free idiots kept calling and wanted me to deliver and stack it... then there was the Guy who had a tube caddy packed full of good TV tubes.$75.00,said he was willing to negotiate on price, 2 he's later I get there he is not there,I ask his wife and she said he would take $60 ... but he now was keeping the tubes (must have found out about values of sweep tubes) anyway that was the final time I ever plan to check Craigslist
I get your point...

But, I won't let the flakes ruin Craigslist for me... I did score a few really nice sets this year, and in both cases ended up sitting around chatting with the sellers for quite a while. In fact, I was going to save this for the story of the particular set (which I haven't yet mentioned on here) but I plan to stop by this guy's house in the spring with a box of cannoli as a "thank you" for the super-mint, working Zenith SC600 console he gave me for FREE.

He was the nicest old-timer you could imagine, so I snapped a pic of him with the TV that finally replaced his 40-year old working Zenith... His nephew wanted to toss it on the curb, but he insisted it be given to someone that would appreciate it... Ain't that a kick?

Not all craigslist adventures need end poorly!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

...and I will say that ultimately, the owner of private property can do with it as they please. I've parted out sets before too (I'm sure we all have) but not without trying to put them into the hands of other collectors.

That doesn't mean I can't complain about some "trendy" type destroying a set I'm sure we'd all like to own. I'm not suggesting jail time for this futz, or wishing cancer on him... I'm just bi*ching about clueless people doing fishtank jobs. My guess is that after enough people look at his bad-carpentry tiki-bar and say "did you make that out of an old TV?" He'll end up tossing the cabinet on the curb in embarrassment, like so many others we've seen.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Are we only allowed to discuss topics that you, or your new friend with 3 posts approve of now?

No, quite the opposite. You're perfectly free to get as butthurt about this as you wish in public, as humiliating as that is. It's just that this was already hashed out in another thread not long ago, why do it again?

Quote:
I respect your right to post an opinion, but I also don't see anyone dragging your eyes across the page.

Tit for tat, you didn't have to read my post either. At least, I didn't force you to...

Quote:
Basically, the point of this thread is to let other people know that when/if that fairly rare Zenith gets turned into a fishtank, it won't be because no one offered full price for it... It will be because someone (either lurking here or posting, since the community isn't that big) is going to chop it up for parts.

No one is the fishtank police, as shameful as it is. All we can do is hope to save as many desirable sets as we reasonably can, the rest will be dearly missed. We can't save them all, but we can try. When we fail, all we can do is say we tried. That is the honorable thing to do.

Last edited by miniman82; 11-21-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Miniman, sounds like you're no stranger to "butthurting" yourself (or is that not your quote below?) So why not just admit we've both posted our disgust with the way people will behave over inanimate objects and call it a night? I have a feeling whoever is selling/gutting that blonde Zenith knows how I feel about them by now, so no point in carrying on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Call this a rant, but... It's time for a reality check.

I've heard of people stabbing fellow collectors in the back, I've heard stories of strongarm tactics, lies and all the rest and I gotta say: all of it disgusts me. Anyone here who has done those things should be ashamed to be part of this hobby, and I know there are a few here (some by first name). There seems to be no shame at times when it comes to getting that elusive set you've always wanted, but that does not give you the green light to cross all lines trying to get your way. The sad thing is that some of the people I'm talking about have more rare sets than ETF does, yet their need seems insatiable. At some point I do think it becomes hoarding, and takes all the fun out of collecting for others who are interested.

Take me, for example. I nearly left this hobby before I even got started because of some of the things I just mentioned. I may still leave if I get the impression that the attitude is not changing, because I will not associate with people who lie and cheat to get their way.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 AM
sampson159

after reading these posts i have come to these conclusions:first come,first serve.i know we all want that rare or precious set but there is no "dibs" on anything.to simply see an item and then post you have first chance at it is absurd.wish this could be on the honor system but thats the way it is.as for the fishtanker:this is painful for me but it is his property.i dont feel this is the right thing to do but it does belong to him.i would try to save it if i could but its his right.having said this,i will now await the deluge of nasty posts about my conclusions.besides,many of us get that set and after awhile we pursue something else and the set gets moved around among us vk ers.btw,i have been involved in many deals with sets and have saved more than a few for other members here.if i can ever save that set you want here in ohio,let me know.the rule of thumb is-first come,first serve
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Miniman, sounds like you're no stranger to "butthurting" yourself or is that not your quote below?
What I was talking about there was sparse in nature, because I have specific names of those involved in the what happened and none of it had anything to do with me per se. I did not disclose the names of those involved, because it would have been quite unethical. I will not discuss the specifics of the situation because I have since come to know those involved, and though I still wholeheartedly disagree with what was done, I still must respect their right to privacy.

I can say that the situation involved lies and deceit, not a seller doing what he wants with his set as is the case with your situation. They are 2 completely different situations. You're angry at someone parting out a set, I'm angry with someone who would confide in a fellow collector then stab said collector in the back when he found out it was a set he really wanted. Nuff said.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Chris, I emailed this seller last night, still waiting to hear back from them also asked for a picture of the back of the TV assuming this out of state person hasn't come through. That is indeed a rare set, I can't say for sure if its a 29JC20 or not, but definitly an early chassis such as a 27KC20. I told them what they have is a very special TV from a technology/historical standpoint and that it would really be a shame to part it out. While it doesn't hold the value of the more common early RCA color sets, it should be saved and for a few hundred, its worth it if one can somehow pull it off with this guy. While its historic meaning probably means nothing to them, I hope to imply a bit of guilt in case they pursue with this parting out. Im looking at the situation through rose colored glasses like I do everything else.

As for us so called "horders", I know what you mean. I was one of them, in fact, I for one probably still am. Kinda goes with the nature of the hobby. I guess you can't call a guy with 100 transistor radios a hoarder, but 100 TV's instead classifies you as one. However, I frequently sell (usually for dirt cheap) and/or end up giving away for free lots of nice TV's to fellow collectors in the hobby. I've made alot of good friends with trading TV's over the years. Sometimes they loose out on stuff they really want, but most of the time, if not always, they make out pretty good with getting a great TV somewhere else. I've been on both sides many times. I don't think any one collector is out there to intentionally screw over a fellow collector.

Last edited by drh4683; 04-28-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Banned

and yang,

he world around us is composed of opposites. hot and cold, big and little, yin and yang,
Audiokarma