Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Color Adjustments

I recently posted a convergence question and received some excellent advice. I have another question about the same tv, a 1960 rca color roundie, the "Randolph" with a ct-11 chassis. I have completed my purity and convergence setup. Everything went well with the exception of just a very light bit of a pinkish color in the top left corner when watching a black and white show. Most people would probably not pay attention to it but since I was the one who did the conversion adjustments, I couldn't help but notice. My question is this; can anyone tell me the procedure for setting the blue, green and red screen controls? Also there is a kine bias control. Are these controls set to personal preference or is there a procedure in setting these controls.They are easily accessible from the rear without having to take the back cover off. Again they are marked red screen, green screen, blue screen and kine bias. I moved these when performing the convergence. Any adjustment tips would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

You need a luma staircase to set the screens correctly, or the service switch (if it has one) can get you close. You're looking for the staircase to not be contaminated with any color, it should go from black to white.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can email you the sams, it explains the service switch way.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
M is for Memory

What you describe does not sound like a bias issue. If it was a bias issue then you would have the whole screen tinted a color and not just a corner.

What you have sounds like a purity issue. To adjust the purity turn the set on and use a seperate degaussing coil to degauss the screen of the set, and if it looks good then stop there.
If degaussing fails to fix the issue then either connect a signal that gives a blank red screen or set up the set for a blank white raster and turn down the blue and green screens until you have a red raster. Then slide the deflection yoke as far back as you can without disturbing the other neck hardware so that your screen resembles the picture below. Then use the purity rings to center the red spot on the screen. Once done slide the yoke forward untill the whole screen is an even red. Turn red down and then turn up the blue and later green individually and see if the color is consistent over the entire screen if not slide the yoke back again and repeat from there. If all three primaries are consistent when viewed separately then readjust the screen controls according to the sam's manual procedure.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

After sliding the yoke forward you can rotate the purity rings slightly to see if that helps, which it very well might. Worked for me when I was in the trade.
Phil
Audiokarma
Old 04-01-2022, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Color Adjustments

When the same amount of contrast colors such as yellow/blue, red/cyan, and green/magenta mix together, it will produce a neutral gray tone. In color adjustment, to reduce the intensity of one particular color is to add in the contrast color.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set there, Electronic M
Old 04-01-2022, 03:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

To elaborate a bit more on the purity set up, when you slide the yoke forward looking for the best all-screen red purity, the "sweet spot" will typically be where the yoke is 1/4" to 3/8" shy of being fully seated against the CRT bell. Clamp the yoke there. (On rectangular CRTs, the sweet spot is usually 1/8" to 1/4" shy.) And yes, this was taught by field reps at "RCA school" at the distributor in Phoenix.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1967us View Post
Nice set there, Electronic M
Thanks. That Airline was the only set I've bought out of the original owners living room where it had sat since new. I sold it last summer because I'm out of room and I'm not a big fan of Early American cabinets...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4