Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Earliest surviving B&W videotape recording

G'day all. A few years back I watched in my video course class at TAFE college a documentary on video recording which was part of the Tim Hunkin "Secret Life Of Machines" series and they showed an extremely rare piece of video footage from the mid 50s which they say is the earliest surviving Ampex B&W videotape recording which I assume dates around 1956 or 1957. This footage appears to be of the Hoover Dam shot by a cameraman standing on the OB van while the van is in motion.

I've plucked it off that show and uploaded the 13 second clip to YouTube http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uOcEq9LzjxM .

Anyways I really want to somehow get a hold of the full footage of this recording and I need some leads so I was wondering if anyone here can identify this footage and possibly the date of recording?

Cheers
Troy
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
EFSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
G'day all. A few years back I watched in my video course class at TAFE college a documentary on video recording which was part of the Tim Hunkin "Secret Life Of Machines" series and they showed an extremely rare piece of video footage from the mid 50s which they say is the earliest surviving Ampex B&W videotape recording which I assume dates around 1956 or 1957. This footage appears to be of the Hoover Dam shot by a cameraman standing on the OB van while the van is in motion.

I've plucked it off that show and uploaded the 13 second clip to YouTube http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uOcEq9LzjxM .

Anyways I really want to somehow get a hold of the full footage of this recording and I need some leads so I was wondering if anyone here can identify this footage and possibly the date of recording?

Cheers
Troy
What about contacting Tim Hunkin? I know that he is still alive because on another video (Seblington's Tonschreiber), a response to that prompted Seblington to contact Mr. Hunkin, and apparently, he knows something of the Tonschreiber, and if he knew of that, some fuzzy logic follows that he could get hold of the full footage of that......he has a website and here is the link:

http://www.timhunkin.com/
Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent Tim an email and await his reply.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
AK Member

do any of you guys know of anyone around la ca that has a 2in player,i got some old footage of my dad on one of dick clarks show from 1973 that i want to see.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesheen View Post
do any of you guys know of anyone around la ca that has a 2in player,i got some old footage of my dad on one of dick clarks show from 1973 that i want to see.
This guy is a bit north of you, but he seems to know his stuff:

http://www.antiquevideo.com/
Audiokarma