Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Can't wait to see your posts on all of them!

Guess I'll get the ball rolling then.
Here is what I got.

Top Down: Tube video modulator (untested), Zenith's first 13" color (produces monochrome video), Packard bell-Teledyne badged GE (with a bad CRT ), and a remote color Magnavox (missing handset, remote chassis needs work, and the HV reg seems to be drawing too much current, but otherwise works good).

I'm just about done restoring a 24" RCA for a local family....Sometime this week I plan to try to fix them all (if the PB can't make a decent picture it's likely going to get sold or parted).

Here are some more pictures.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting modulator. Hope you can find the schematic and specifications on it.

Looks like those TVs had some rough storage, and the one looks like it was used to mow the lawn!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM
jbattles

Why cant people post normal pictures instead of this photo bucket thing that takes forever to load in. Grrrrr sorry rant over. Good job I do like them.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Interesting modulator. Hope you can find the schematic and specifications on it.

Looks like those TVs had some rough storage, and the one looks like it was used to mow the lawn!

Google tells me nothing about the modulator or it's maker, and I doubt Sam's has any info....Turns out is it a video only modulator. Only things likely to be bad in it are 4 lytics, two tubular caps, and 2 seleniums.

That Zenith was stored in RCA2000's shed apparently....I don't know if that is how it got rusty or if that is how he got it, but if it had been stored better it would be a minty low hours set....It still seems to have all Zenith yellow label tubes in it. The grass I don't mind, but I did have a problem with the 50-cent-piece sized garden spider that came running out during the test power up I gave it. I apparently have a spare CRT for the Zenith (though I likely won't need it).

Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have some tube audio only modulators, once used by a hotel to put radio station audio on to unused Tv frequencies, so guests could get radio in addition to Tv. Would it be practical to combine the outputs to get both video and sound?
Audiokarma
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
BigDavesTV

Tom I'm glad you got the Zenith! Looks like the Maggie is off to a good start already. I'm interested to see how the Teledyne Pacific Bell GE turns out, I like all those sets! Very glad a big spider didn't run out of anything that I brought home, I always unload and inspect stuff in the garage, before bringing inside! The meet was a good time in my opinion, I am very glad we were there.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I picked up 3 sets .

There ain't no spiders on me
There might be spiders on some of you guys, but

The Admiral Solarcolor I got from Dave I'm all excited about! That gets done after the GE 830 on my bench....

Picture tube actually tests great, it's got a weak blue drive and a slight hiss under the chassis. Most of the tubes in it are so weird my tester won't do them

Here's the rest of what I brought back

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...12&postcount=4

And pics I shot while there!

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...10&postcount=2
Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 PM
sampson159

cant wait to see pics of that set working.i bought the same vdc tube that you did.tim.installed it today in my sylvania e45 with electronic tuning.the picture is stunning!bright and sharp.you will be shocked when you get yours in and working
here are pics of the e 45 sylvania with the vdc 90 degree universal crt purchased at the etf swap meet.cant wait to see tims admiral with this picture tube installed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e451.jpg (31.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg e452.jpg (28.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg e453.jpg (45.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sampson159; 10-12-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Zenith ACCIDENTLY...got placed in the shed behind my house many years ago. I came across it IIRC in about this time of 1997. I briefly played a bit with then...found out it DID get a picture at the time (not sure if it had COLOR ofr not then though...). and somehow...it ended up in my shed...forgotten about. I could NOT find it...when people asked about it a few times over the last 10 or so years,,,,but I KNEW...i STILL had it.

Then...last year....I was in that shed....ans SAW a corner of it. But there was a BIG wasp/bumblebee nest near it...making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to get it....till this last spring.,

I dragged it out....and checked it out again. it STILL came on...wiht a raster. It did NOT have that crap in it...at the time. I cleaned it out pretty well. But....I put it on my back porch UNDER a cover...but evidently...SOMEHOW..."something got to it" under there. And...it would NOT come on anymore...saturday....either.

SO...I am GALD it has been "passed on" to someone else who WILL care for it BETTER than I did...and bring it back to it's glory. I kept it out of the dump for 18 years...now...HOPEFULLY....it has a new, better home.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 PM
M is for Memory

I'm going to have to sort out what I want to do to that Zenith aside from clean it and make it work right. It'll be a lot of work to remove/fix the rust so I don't know if it will be worth it/doable to make it look like new. If worst comes to worst there is a coolness to a set that rough working like new.....Like seeing someone drive a repaired barn find vintage car in otherwise as found condition.

The Teledyne tested good on two guns and then all started to test bad....If I can get life from it on a brightener I'll keep it, if not then I don't plan to drop a $100+ CRT into a 15$ tv.

Soon I'll get on these sets, but for now I have a paying repair job to get out the door (and collect on), and some half done auto repair on my plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
i have some tube audio only modulators, once used by a hotel to put radio station audio on to unused Tv frequencies, so guests could get radio in addition to Tv. Would it be practical to combine the outputs to get both video and sound?
I don't know enough to give a definite answer. If they can be set to CH 3 or 4 (as my mod's controls say it can) then it may be possible that the two carriers could be usefully combined....I want to repair and reverse engineer my unit to understand/confirm it's function (and possibly study TV modulator circuit stage topology) before I try to figure out how to add sound.

Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Teledyne is OBVIOUSL:Y a GE set--the C2 or whatever--from maybe 1971-73 or so. NEVER saw one wiht what I would call a "good picture". NEVER Liked those--use d WEIRD HV rect which is COATED with lead and a strange # H-out tube--26HU5, too. Hot, doubler, , compactrons.. NOT the quality of a Zenith, or even RCA or Mag..
Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
The Teledyne is OBVIOUSL:Y a GE set--the C2 or whatever--from maybe 1971-73 or so. NEVER saw one wiht what I would call a "good picture". NEVER Liked those--use d WEIRD HV rect which is COATED with lead and a strange # H-out tube--26HU5, too. Hot, doubler, , compactrons.. NOT the quality of a Zenith, or even RCA or Mag..
Oh, so that is a lead coating and NOT a SS replacement HV rect like I thought it was......Interesting.
I'm expecting that IF I can coax life out of the CRT it'll probably be like a large screen portacolor with better dot pitch/resolution.
Hot chassis sets have never bothered me....Most of my early tube experience was with AA5s, and my folks tell me that as an infant I had an insatiable/unstoppable desire to stick my fingers in the outlets, and sample 120VAC....
I will say that while I'd expect a Zenith to survive a drop (or any adversity for that matter) better, those portacolors are surprisingly tenacious survivors for what they were meant to be....Almost on par with Zeniths if both are kept in good/ideal climate controlled conditions all their lives and used sparingly.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:46 AM
BigDavesTV

Smile 14" RCA "The Headliner" color portable

Here's a 14" RCA Color Portable, with stand, from about 1968, that I picked up at the ETM Meet, Saturday, that I'm particularly excited about, and happy to be the new caretaker of, for a while! I remember working on one, possibly two of these, back in my shop days, over 35 years ago. I had hoped to find one someday, and fortunately one showed up. It shows a better focus picture than my camera will show, seems to be a very good condition CRT. I have to do some cosmetic touch up on it's top painted side, but other than that, nice overall, with the typical VHF Channel numbers rubbed off the knob! I have a CTC-51 with the same VHF knob trouble. It makes a decent picture, even with it's many 5GH8's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA 14_The Headliner.jpg (129.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg The Headliner_sample pix1.jpg (84.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg The Headliner_sample pix2.jpg (73.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 06:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like everyone did well! Those are some nice finds.

Tim, that Solarcolor is a nice rare set. Those early 70's Admiral colors hardly ever show up no matter what part of the country you're in. I had a very nice early 70's solarcolor about 8 years ago and let it go. Same old story, we all had sets we wished we could have kept... That was one of them.

And Tom's magnavox is a neat set. I've got the exact same model with the matching cart, except for some reason the entire perimeter of the CRT bezel is badly cracked. It is very odd how that happened, but it looks like the plastic was under a lot of stress by the way the CRT mounts to it and over time, the plastic aged and cracked.

Last edited by drh4683; 10-08-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Did a little bit of work to this one. It worked fine but the face of the picture tube was badly scratched. Just by luck I picked up an identical parts set a week before the meet, so I swapped out the picture tubes. What an easy chassis to service!!

Model number AH054H, Sams dates it to 1965.

And Tom, I had to laugh....really hard!! I was pulling the chassis and one of your spider's babies (I assume) crawled out from behind the tuner

Cute little guy, probably the size of an eraser head. I laid him to rest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6517.jpg (48.3 KB, 25 views)