Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Radio through TV.

Here in England all BBC national radio stations, & most commercial plus some local radio stations are carried on all the digital TV transmitters in the country, e.g. BBC radio 2 is on sub channel 702 & Smooth FM on 718..... Do American digital TV transmitters carry any radio stations on sub channels?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:55 AM
M is for Memory

Not that I'm aware of. The local PBS has a classical music and jazz sub-channels, but AFAIK they are not affiliated with any radio stations.

EDIT: back in the analog days some TVs had a built in FM radio tuner. Easy to do since analog FM here is smack dab in the middle of the VHF TV band and TV audio was FM.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a GE/RCA 25 inch TV here with a FM tuner.I think this setup is for more likely for hotels and motels .Also some cable services provide like Comcast Music Choice.
Back in the analog days some cable providers offer cable FM which hooks to your FM receiver antenna connection .As I recall some of the FM channel freqs were not on the station freqs.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

In some cases motel TV radios worked independently of the set's VHF tuner. Ages ago I knew a fellow who did some repair work for a motel and parted out a handful of their old TVs with built-in radio. He had one separated from the set along with its part of the TV's trim panel and speaker grille, powered on. It ran off mains power; that was when he challenged me to touch live wires. He could do that no problem at all, probably because of all the alcohol in his system. He was superintendent of the building I was in at the time, which wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence in me these days.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Didn't read a post carefully enough.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

The BBC national & local & some commercial stations also transmit on FM or AM, digital radio (DAB), Freesat, SKY satellite, Virgin Cable & online..

Noticed that English hotels (well the ones I've stayed in just lately) don't have radios in their bedrooms any more, you have to use the TV if you want to listen to the radio. They used to have radio-alarm clocks, but now it's just a stand alone electric alarm clock hard wired with no plug so you don't steal it, lol..
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

One public station transmits book reading for the blind.