Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
sampson159

zenith roundie in detroit

cruising craigslist and this came up.looks very nice.if it were in central ohio!
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/2530463545.html
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

That's a looker, and only the mild beginnings of the Halo. I'd say a road trip is in order
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
"Book em Dano!"

looks like a nice set! Someone needs to make a road trip before it goes to the landfill or fishtanked. If it was closer, I'd be in the car on my way!

Last edited by mstaton; 08-05-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile So I foundie my roundie! :-) Now What......?

Well, we brought the set here from Yale this past Sunday. Incredibly, it fit in the Prius (with the rear cap snugly at the top of the rear hatch window!).

The set is a Zenith 5317U, Chassis 24MC32 (I had been looking for a roundie for some time, as, when I was very young, our house had only B&W and my grandparents' RCA CTC-16 fascinated me).

I had to take a gamble, as I don't have a CRT tester, and the one other part I really wanted to look at - the flyback - appears to be in a box with no opening, and, in turn, behind another enclosure.

As can be seen in picture 8, the CRT is a rebuild. The owner (who was honest about the TV being not working from the get-go and was very kind to help us pack the set) said that the CRT had been replaced twice, so I am optimistic about the 21FJP22A, as it has likely had few hours on it.

The cabinet is in good shape for the age of the set, with the only significant scratches at the lower right of the front (I wonder if, and how, I should dye the scratches in the wood, but I won't worry about that until after I watch "Get Smart" on it).

I was surprised that the set is full of compactrons (being a roundie), this is disappointing, as my old Heathkit tube checker can't test them.

The IF strip is 6BZ6=>6BZ6=>6EJ7, so I guess this is the "later" 24MC32 (talked about this on another thread earlier).

Since the owner had already powered it up recently (a no-no, of course), we plugged it in, and all three filaments in the 21FJ and every chassis tube in sight - except the focus rectifier - lit up. At first, there was no other "sign of life" from the set, then I remembered the circuit breaker button, and the set gradually came up with the strange off-center blob in picture 9 (implicit in this is something must have overloaded the B+ supply once in the past to trip it). Later, I discovered the service switch was in set-up, and switching it to norm brought up a full screen of gray, too blurred for snow, and a pastel rainbow at the right as in picture 10 (without the bar near the bottom - that is only a digital camera artifact). The good news is that the CRT did light up white/gray and nothing popped or zapped.

The tubes have little white specks on their exterior, as in picture 5. I don't know what causes this, and I've seen it before (I suspect it will not affect the operation of the set at all). Picture 6 shows the high-voltage district, seemingly inaccessible, while picture 7 shows the yoke and static-convergence assembly seem intact (but what is that string that looks like fishing line around the neck?).

So, I'm asking for recommendations on how best to start the restoration project (the obvious first would be to check under the chassis for burnouts and replace the LV power supply caps). I want this baby to roll!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0108.jpg (53.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.jpg (75.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.jpg (63.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0114.jpg (75.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0115.jpg (61.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0116.jpg (105.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Forgot (or did not know) about the 6 pic maximum.

Hope it is not a problem to post the other 4 here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (105.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (65.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (60.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (55.4 KB, 72 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
replace the LV power supply caps
Yes. And replace other electrolytics, too, while you're at it. Then you can be more confident about powering up during the rest of the project.

Those "maroon drop" small caps are maybes. I've had some sets that work pretty peachy without replacing more than one or two. My CTC-7 really sat up and did tricks after I got rid of all of them.

But before replacing anything, I test all the tubes, clean their pins, and clean all the controls & switches with DeOxit.

Phil Nelson
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

The convergence coil/magnet assembly is identical to my Silvertone, except the blue lateral magnet appears to be in a different/possibly not right position. My Sylvania tube produces an excellent picture, and hopefully this one will too. Mine has a cataract similar to yours, and I'm on the fence about what to do about it.

Try and get the Zenith factory service manual for this before you start, or at very least the Sams. It will be a big help with troubleshooting and setup.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
"Book em Dano!"

That HOT looks pretty tired and those white spots could be anything but be careful, it could be a type of white mold. Always be cautious when cleaning up a chassis or cabinet that has been sitting for years or decades, you never know what you will find especially if it was in the garage or damp basement. Wear a mask if you blow it out with compressed air.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

yea that HOT looks tired based on the brown getter. Time for some test equipment, as a start I would get some new HV tubes (HOT/Damper/HV rec,Shunt tube) I I also like to replace teh HOT grid capacitor just in case its leaky at all. I go over on the voltage rating (like 1kv) on that one as well. then you need to do a complete check out and setup. Welcome to the world of roundies.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen those white specks before, nothing I would be concerned about. Humidity related, I think.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
So I foundie my roundie! :-) Now What......?
You foundie your roundie? Now, you fixie the pix-ie!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

And get aroundie to the soundie!

Thanks, everyone, I'm off to the library to see some schematics.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Urei 1620 DJ

This is the exact model Zenith my parents had when I was a kid. They bought it new in late 1965 and we had it until 1976 when it started having problems. The left 1/4 of the picture went black. It wasn't shrinking in width, that part of the pic was being cut off. My parents had the TV guy come out to the house to look at it and he said something was causing it to burn out a bunch of resistors. He told my parents that the time and labor involved in tracing the problem and repairing the damage would be better spent on a new set. They ended up getting a new CCII 19" table set and the roundie went to the dump
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinljnkie View Post
This is the exact model Zenith my parents had when I was a kid. They bought it new in late 1965 and we had it until 1976 when it started having problems. The left 1/4 of the picture went black. It wasn't shrinking in width, that part of the pic was being cut off. My parents had the TV guy come out to the house to look at it and he said something was causing it to burn out a bunch of resistors. He told my parents that the time and labor involved in tracing the problem and repairing the damage would be better spent on a new set. They ended up getting a new CCII 19" table set and the roundie went to the dump
Too bad. I know what you mean here. I was upset when my grandparents' turned over their RCA CTC16 roundie to the dealer where they bought a new console, even though the CTC16 still worked.

As for the things that caused a TV to be dumped, I turn to the set I grew up with, a 1969 RCA CTC38 (rectangular). All of those service calls where 6GH8s had to be pulled off of the printed circuit board gradually caused all the connections on the board to fail (by 1981).
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 AM
M is for Memory

Hey at least you did not kill your childhood set with your own hands like me.

My folks had a decade-plus old WID Quasar that came from relatives. Some of my oldest memories are of that set, and one of them was me turning it on and off repeatedly(try ing to figure out why the sound came on before the picture, and why the picture came on faster when the set had been running just before) till it would not power on when I only a few years old. A few years later I scrapped the thing, and it was the only time to date that I saw inside a delta gun tube. That set is probably the reason why I get a surreal almost feaver dream like nostalgia from delta gun rectangular sets.

Tom C.

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Audiokarma