Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It is a royal shame that this happened. If I was in your shoes I'd be half tempted to steal back...Errmm I mean rescue the other sets I traded, and anything else that I coulden't stand seeing fishtanked while there.

I'd buy the cabinet if I lived nearer. If folks have pieced CT-100s together from scratch then it should be mutch cheaper and easier to find and get a chassis, CRT, neck hardware, back, and anything else I forgot to mention.

Tom C.
I was the first to piece together a CT-100. I think that I was bidding against John Folsom for the channel knob on eBay about 10 years ago. Imagine the seller's surprise when it sold for about $130
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well.......I'm speaking up and giving my side of the story.

The Chassis had several issues and eventually suffered catastrophic failure. It started with severe arcing in the HV cage as a result of a deteriorating compactron socket, I replaced that and the fried resistor. Later a chassis fire finished it when a poorly insulated re-stuffed electrolytic can exploded and set wiring on fire under the chassis, There was a tar substance build up under there that may have aided in the fire spreading. So frustrated with the problems, the burst amp, compactron, picture never looking very good, etc... I gave up on the chassis. Yes I agree it was a poor decision to put modern guts in the set and I deeply regret that choice. My brother passed away at 44 yrs in excellent health recently and the vintage stuff just didn't seem as important to me at the time. I did however keep the Picture tube, yoke, flyback and all mounting etc.. the original back, tuner, volume on/off is still there too. Saturday I drove over to the resale shop and bought the TV and brought it home. I will put it back together as original as possible. I've already removed the modern guts and CRT. Just to be clear I'm not a "Fish-Tanker" I've made one bad decision here but have saved and restored dozens of tube radios, record players, b/w TV's, Jukeboxes and tape cartridge machines so please don't judge me on one regrettable mistake. I do care about these vintage treasures and will continue to help keep them out of the landfills. My house is full of working Tube radios, TV's, Jukes etc.. that I have properly restored to original working condition. Look at my YouTube videos to see my past and present collection, username: wurly1100.
What else can I say.... I'm sorry.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

why are you apologizing for junking a useless chassis - good grief it is only an old television - some are just not worth saving - even though they be a round screen color set - from what you describe looks like this set had its share of hack repais anyway

Last edited by RobtWB; 06-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicradios View Post
... What else can I say.... I'm sorry.
What in God's name are you sorry for? I would have probably dragged it out onto the driveway and let the whole p.o.s. go up in flames.

I think if anyone is owed an apology it's you, for all the conclusions that were jumped to without knowing all the facts.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

My apology is for nearly "fish tanking" the set which is frowned upon, I should have searched for a replacement chassis which I will now do. Hopefully I can get the set working again and on prominent display in my home.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
M is for Memory

I forgive ya (sory for the bashing I dished out).
Back before I collected,(and even twice after) I scraped things that I now wish I had saved. We live and learn I guess.

If that chassis did not get tossed ya might be able to save it. Incuctors, transformers, and some hardware are the only unobtainium on most TVs so if you replace the blown can, cooked wireing, and any other casualties, then it should work again.

If you really don't want to fix it, but want to set things right and still have all the parts from it before blew, then you could sell it to me. I like a good challenge.

Tom C.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Post it up in the classifieds, I'm sure someone would be willing to put humpty dumpty back together again.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

It's rewarding to know when things make an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
That reminds me of something that a man named Jim Fred used to say about old radios--
I was catching up with this thread and read how Jim Fred's antique radio column in *Elementary Electronics* was remembered by at least two of you after more than 35 years.

I was Technical Editor of *Elementary Electronics* back when Jim Fred wrote his columns.

He had written a modest article about the hobby that caught fire with a contingent of our readers. I got flooded with positive mail from enthusiastic readers. It was clear from my own passion for preserving a CT-100 that an important subset of our readers were vintage radio enthusiasts, and so we hired Jim as a regular columnist.

Elementary Electronics folded some years after I left to join TAB BOOKS, but not Jim's column; it was picked up by Larry Steckler at *Radio-Electronics* where Jim's love of collecting lived on.

Pete
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

A lighter side of fishtanking

(True Confessions of a recovering fishtanker)

...my operational CTC2 chassis was driving the RACS-rebuilt 15GP22 for a year at the ETF museum, and so my cabinet was bare.

Undaunted, I stuffed a $110, China-built, RCA-branded, ATSC, 8-1/2 by 11-in. CRT set into my empty CT-100 cabinet.

Built a 5.1 sound system around it.

Kept it a secret till now.

Humbly yours,

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guts-swap-CT-100-B8000194.jpg (83.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg guts-swap-CT-100-B8000194cu.jpg (51.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hell Pete,

Perfect place for a real fish tank until you get the chassis back. Lol.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I also was a subscriber to Elementary Electronics too.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I also was a subscriber to Elementary Electronics.
You three guys helped pay my salary back then!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Hell Pete,

Perfect place for a real fish tank until you get the chassis back. Lol.

-Steve D.
Actually Steve, I brought it back with me, although it's still in the back of the car. But, how 'bout a nice fish tank for my pristine CT-100? It'd look real purty in there once I pull that shiny chunk of metal with all them little parts out.

Pete
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicradios
My brother passed away at 44 yrs in excellent health recently and the vintage stuff just didn't seem as important to me at the time.
Jim i am so sorry for your loss......

When stuff like this happens YES YOU DONT CARE ABOUT MUCH ELSE,you wanted to fix it the fastest way you could,you didnt think of the quality going down or anything as you were strucken with sadness

No need to apologise my friend but its good seeing you try to get the set back to good standards

Again i am so sorry for your loss

Last edited by Dude111; 01-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis View Post
You three guys helped pay my salary back then!
Yeah, it was a good magazine, I still have a stash of issues here. I also liked the column, "Ask Hank, He Knows."
Audiokarma