Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

HI,I know how you feel.I had a CTC9 that ran good until hurricane andrew claimed it in august 1992.The 200mph winds tore the house apart and threw the set into the wall,smashed the cabinet and broke the neck off the original 21CYP22A picture tube.Ninteen years later I still have the recapped chassis,model #210CK857U in a box hoping I could find a cabinet or a crt to make it a complete set again.Anyways,goodluck on locating another good picture tube.-RCAVIC
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Regretfully, the remote control CTC15 my parents purchased new in the mid 60’s perished in the late eighties after 20 some years of faithful service. That TV was one reason I developed an interest in early Color TV. The set developed the typical cataract and for that reason it was placed in storage, with hopes that one day I might get it back out and revisit its fogged safety glass. While it was in storage, a shelving unit collapsed and caved in the back of the set snapping the neck off the picture tube. At that time it was just another failed piece of junk; today I would have rescued it and saved the set for a future rebuild. That TV ate countless 6GH8’s from what I remember, but above that it never really suffered any catastrophic failures except the cataract which pushed it aside, still in a functional state! That was a sad day for me: it was our friend that kept us kids company after school, Dad entertained with countless football games, and tormented Mom with the sounds of early video games, …only to be parted out and discarded not even a year after it was put in storage. Maybe one day I’ll find another CTC-15 to re-live my youth; until then I found my new CTC-11 which is proudly displayed in my home, and after it’s rebuild I can find those re-runs of Gilligans Island, Munsters, and Star Trek to watch – no video games though!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCF720 View Post
While it was in storage, a shelving unit collapsed and caved in the back of the set snapping the neck off the picture tube. At that time it was just another failed piece of junk; today I would have rescued it and saved the set for a future rebuild.
I lost a bunch of stuff the same way, the night before I planned to empty the storage. The shelving was there for 75+ years - who knew it was going anywhere? Lost my '85 Magnavox I grew up with, a few turntables and typewriters, a '78 Zenith.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't worry, where all TV repairmen eventualy go, there is nothing but high heat conditions and pitchforks.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't forget the brimstone.......
Audiokarma
Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM
M is for Memory

What prompted this insinuation that we're going to hell?

Most TV repairmen are good people (with a few exceptions as is the case with any large group).