Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If it had a delta-gun Zenith Chromacolor Black matrix CRT in it then that alone is a huge loss....They were perhaps the best CRTs ever made.

If that was the case I'd have taken it, saved the CRT chassis and tuner (given away/sold any of that I did not think I'd use, to anyone that might use it), and thrown out the cabinet.

There is only a finite number of parts and parts sets out there....We should save whatever we can.
Agreed, I would have parted it out. It may have meant a good spare CRT for your RCA console in which the CRT needed a zap.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If it had a delta-gun Zenith Chromacolor Black matrix CRT in it then that alone is a huge loss....They were perhaps the best CRTs ever made.

If that was the case I'd have taken it, saved the CRT chassis and tuner (given away/sold any of that I did not think I'd use, to anyone that might use it), and thrown out the cabinet.

There is only a finite number of parts and parts sets out there....We should save whatever we can.
AGREED. Had I drove anywhere to pick up something, I wouldn't leave empty handed. Not like you can pick up these tubes at any store. Their gone. Crt is a dead issue now and without us, what kind of future does it have. I knew it was a Zenith.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I spent a lot of time in front of a Zenith just like that as a kid. It was my uncles who bought it new when he was fresh out of collage and kept until the screen turned bright yellow a few years ago, then he upgraded to HD.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post
I spent a lot of time in front of a Zenith just like that as a kid. It was my uncles who bought it new when he was fresh out of collage and kept until the screen turned bright yellow a few years ago, then he upgraded to HD.
Whew! That's a word that scares me. "Upgrade". For some, I'm sure an HD set is an upgrade. But I've found over the years that newer does not mean better. I have a 65" 4k ultra HD set but I won't part with my crt collection. That plus the reliability of these new sets are nowhere near what crt sets were.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post
If that was rapid rather than gradual all that was likely wrong was a blown chroma video output transistor...Likely the blue output.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm sure he felt it served him well. A lot better then my 56" 1080p DLP. I gave the order to scrap it a couple weeks ago after deciding it was not worth it to replace the DLP chip for the second time! I got 8 years out of a TV that cost nearly $3000. If you see another thread I am in, there is a picture of the CRT I bought when I was 15, nearly 15 years ago for about $300, still running strong!

Maybe that GE will be a good start to making sure that TV doesn't die until the CRT is gone, and maybe by then someone may be rebuilding them.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Agreed, I would have parted it out. It may have meant a good spare CRT for your RCA console in which the CRT needed a zap.
Got a NIB 25V sitting in my garage
Old 11-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Got a NIB 25V sitting in my garage
Good enough. Ideally I would put a NOS CRT in my Electrohome console as it's nearly flawless otherwise. Darn Instavu switch.