Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:32 PM
On Land

My day at the TV shop

Since it seems I am spending several days at the shop, I decided to have a thread just for that.

My little brother came to help me move crap out today. I never thought to count them, but, I bet we moved at least 30-40 consoles out to the side of the road. Most of them were RCA and Zenith sets from the late 60's to early 70's... all of which were in pretty bad shape. Many of them had water damage due to leaks in the roof. Hell... some of them didn't even make it out the door. There were at least 3 consoles that fell completely apart before we got outside! There was one color set I thought was interesting... a Stromberg Carlson 25"... had to be from about 1970.

I found a few more roundies, but they were all in pretty bad shape. I brought home two, but, only for the parts. One was a Sylvania with a 21FKP22. What's the story on this tube? I've seen the number before, but this is the first time I've seen a tube labeled as 21FKP. Is there a difference between this and the FBP? I put the tester on it, but it doesn't light up. The cap is loose, so, I might see if the wires came disconnected. The chassis is a CTC15, and, it has a new flyback. I'll probably yank that part and put the rest on the side of the road.

Also brought home a CTC16XM. The cabinet is about to fall apart. I grabbed this set only because it is a remote set with power tuning. I'll probably pull everything out and save for another RCA cabinet. The CRT is a Colorama, but test weak on the green gun. I'll let it cook for a while on 8 volts and see if it gets better. If not, it may be good enough to use with a brightener if I was in a pinch.

There are two other roundies up there... another CTC15, and a Curtis Mathes. I'll try checking the tubes in those two tomorrow.

There were many 17" B&W portables... most of which looked like they came from the local hospital. Nothing special... those all went to the curb.

I did bring home a Setchell Carlson b&w portable... I'll get a photo of it and put over in the b&w forum.

Found an NOS Thoradson FLY277 flyback... the same one I ordered yesterday morning from Moyer's! If I pull the new flybacks out of those other CTC15's, I have to make a place on the shelf just for those!

Found a few other odds and ends... some NoS 6BK4's... always handy to have. Grabbed a few 6L6 tubes that were in a box. Other little parts here and there... nothing too spetacular.

I go back tomorrow to continue clearing crap out. This is going to take longer than I ever thought!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM
<--1956 300B

Can you save that Stromberg Carlson? Was it a color console?

polaraman
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Sounds like your having fun, except for the carrying big heavy consoles part

Don't suppose you've seen any of these in there? http://www.vintagetvsets.com/wanted.htm
Old 01-20-2005, 07:46 PM
On Land

Polara, if you're interested in it, I can save it for you. Seems it was in better condition than many of the others. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.

Eric, no... sorry no GE. I usually keep an eye open for that set cause I remember you're looking for one. I still have about a half dozen more b&w sets to go thru. I'll be looking.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:57 PM
<--1956 300B

I will be coming to Texas on presidents holiday weekend. I can get it then. I will need measurements to see if it will fit in my Neon. A pic would be nice.

polaraman
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2005, 08:03 PM
On Land

Sure... no problem. I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know what I find. Seems I recall this set is taller than wide. It may squeeze into a Neon. I'll also see what crt it has. I might be able to find a spare in the shop for you to take with it.

If you come in a Polara, I could load you up even more!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
On Land

Stromberg or Setchell???

Polaraman,

I think I might have been mistaken saying that color set was a Stromberg Carlson 25". It may have been a Setchell Carlson 25". If so, are you still interested???

Curiousity got to me, so I went digging thru my Sams index. Come to find out, I found only one listing for a Stromberg Carlson color tv... Model K-1 in Sams 265-13. I pulled it, and it's a 15" set. I was not aware that Stromberg Carlson made a 15 inch color set in the beginning. I don't recall seeing one of these on any of the websites featuring 15 inch color sets. I guess if anyone had one of these, it would be rare as heck!!!

With this in mind, it would seem that the set I found today was a Setchell... not a Stromberg. In any case, I'll be looking at it again tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:56 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie,

I would like it if it was either Stromberg or Setchell. Please give me a report tomorrow. Somebody has that Stromberg-Carlson 15' color set. I think it is ETF.

My 1963 Polara 500 is in hibernation for the winter. I really do not like to drive it much. I am mostly keeping it till I have time to restore it. I do not need some nut making my restoration harder. It is such a rare car and parts are very hard to find. It was my daily driver when I first got it. I have people bugging me to buy it all the time. I am looking at a 1972 polara custom 2 dr hardtop. It has a 400 in it. The interesting option is that it has factory cruise control. My plan for the trip is to get my extra transmission for my truck. My transmission is really slipping bad. It has about 200k miles on it.

polaraman
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM
On Land

I was looking at the K-1 schematic just now... uses FOUR 5U4's in the power supply!

I'll be checking on that set tomorrow... I'll be happy to hold it for you.

Early Polara's were pretty awesome! I knew an old lady that had one. Not sure of the year, but I remember it had the plain looking rear end with two little square tail lights on each side. All of those Polaras were beasts... no matter which year it was!

Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Charlie... Pictures man, pictures!!!

Polaraman...

Quote:
I am looking at a 1972 polara custom 2 dr hardtop.
This is the type of Polara you need for TV collecting, not some sporty lil' 2dr job!
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie! Pictures!

The 1964 Dodge had the small square tail lights.

Carmine,

Cool wagon!!! 9 pass at that! I have a 63 440 wagon in San Antonio. Maybe I need to dig it out.

polaraman
Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 PM
On Land

Yeah guys... I know.... and I keep forgetting to bring my camera! I got about halfway there this morning and realized the camera got left behind.

I am going to attempt it again tomorrow. The guy also has an old 10 cent coke machine from the 50's that I am going to try to sell it on ebay for him. It would be good for parts or for restoring. I was looking at some of the ones on ebay earlier. If they are in good order, they bring a few thousand. If he could get 100 for this one, I think he'd be happier than a pig in shit!

There's also a 3 bedroom apartment upstairs where his parents used to live. Man! You should see some of the furniture! There is this really retro looking couch that's just screaming for someone to come save it!

Carmine, that wagon would be the cat's a** on the highway! Fill it up with both tv's, groceries, and still have room for a bunch of kids!

Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey, charlie?

Did you happen to see any of the early Magnnavox Solid state BW portables, in there? I have been wanting one for a LONG time.(seems like the chasis number was t-915or u-915, or something similar) They were from 1966-67, IIRC. Motorola also had an old black and white solid state set, from about that tme frame.

Also, Zenith had a portable 19" BW tv, from 1968, that was also solid state. The chassis , I think was 1y22b55, or something like that. See if one of them is in there. And, if there are any 1973-74 Zenith BW portables with the 19 or 17eb12/13 or 19or 17fb12or 13 chasis in them, I lkie those chassis, too.

Along with most ALL of the pre-1964 BW sets, with a tranny in the power supply(of course, I'm sure you already looked for those!)
Old 01-21-2005, 12:12 AM
On Land

Jack,

Many of the 60's/70's b/w sets were zeniths and rcas, but seemed none of them were worth keeping due to the cosmetics being so bad. I would suspect that some of them had good crts, but, I just wasn't sure which would be worth hauling home. Being that the cabinets were either cracked, broken, or missing the backs, I just left them.

There were a couple of Truetone portables... one was a 21" set like the one I have here at home. I was gonna grab it for a part i needed, but, with all the running back and forth I was doing... I forgot it. Funny thing was... I had put it next to the front door to make sure I'd remember it... and STILL left it behind! Typical for me to do that.

There was one portable b/w set I thought was kinda odd... it was a Curtis Mathes... late-60's maybe... white plastic... may have been 17 or 19 inch. Looked a little like the Zeniths of the time. Was my first time to see a cheap little Curtis Mathes b&w set. I'm almost surprised they made it.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Charlie, my 1974 GE tube manual lists 21FKP22. It appears to have a safety glass panel bonded to the faceplate like 21FJP22, but the FKP is a clear glass faceplate, as opposed to the etched faceplate of FJP. Also it indiates FJP has rare-earth red phosphor, but FKP does not.

Don't think I could bear to throw out any tube type sets even if they were junk...I'd be loading up the trailer and hauling them home! I have thrown out a few 80's sets but have salvaged the circuit board, speaker, etc.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 01-21-2005 at 07:03 AM.
Audiokarma