Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Convergence is a real pain in the ass on those sets. Be prepared to spend an entire evening doing it. it will never be perfect. Just get it as good as you can and leave it. Those DC pots will need to work to get the convergence right or your efforts will be futile. Don't turn the coils all the way in otherwise you may never get them to come back out without removing the chassis. Been there, done that.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I have a donor chassis as well, so hopefully I can get it right. but since the center is looking good I may be ok.
Don't mean to be a party pooper, but the dynamic convergence circuits in this chassis are AC coupled - so when you move the edges up, you move the center down, etc. Some point about halfway to the edge stands more or less still. It's an interative PITA to get both static and dynamic. Start by doing dynamic to get lines to be parallel, then do static, and repeat.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Doing convergence on the production line for those sets must have been a nightmare. One thing manufacturers hate is having to fiddle with product, they prefer it if they can just stuff circuit boards and have it work with no adjustments. SAW filters in TV IF strips was very nice, no alignment needed.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

here is a pic where I am now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0004.jpg (49.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Looks decent. Much better than mine but mine needs a full alignment and is a Super.
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

its a CTC-5N, I am using a super cabinet which had the good CRT in it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am also at the extreme end of the vert hold to lock. I did not replace all the caps, there were some orange drops in there in the feed back circuit, I left them. I will try a new tube JIC its getting gassy or weak, but if that does not do it I will recap those old caps and check the resistors in the vert hold circuit and the pot as well.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh and what is the function of the metal disc on the back of the yoke plastic anyway?

went back and re reads Bobs article, magnetic shield, I presume from the yoke to the convergence area.

Last edited by DaveWM; 10-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM
"Book em Dano!"

CTC-5N is a deluxe, much better set. Not sure about the metal disk. Mine has been converted to a all glass CYP CRT with the conversion kit. Has the newer yoke cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03699.JPG (121.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I tried 3 different 6CG7's all the same, vert hold at the extreme end of the range, so I will pull the chassis and check out the resistors and replace those old caps (I did not even check to see if they were the right value, I have often found the wrong values used for replacements.
Audiokarma
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was just about ready to pull the chassis and I see this monster a$$ lizrd sitting on the flyback cover, Geez if I had been pulling that chassis and that monster jumped on me I would have prob dropped the damn thing. I tried to knock him out but not sure if he went to the floor or just deeper into the set.

Now don't get me wrong I really like them as they eat bugs, but this thing was HUGE. I know the wife would freak out if it came in the house.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I was just about ready to pull the chassis and I see this monster a$$ lizrd sitting on the flyback cover, Geez if I had been pulling that chassis and that monster jumped on me I would have prob dropped the damn thing. I tried to knock him out but not sure if he went to the floor or just deeper into the set.

Now don't get me wrong I really like them as they eat bugs, but this thing was HUGE. I know the wife would freak out if it came in the house.
I have that to look forward to. I am moving to NE FL and I see them on the screens in the morning having bugs for breakfast. Cute little guys.

Now, back to that repair!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

well a .01 was replaced by a .0033, but I think its just part of the integrater, C506, so I don't think it would effect the timing of the osc, but I am not sure about that. I will put the correct cap in anyway. I confirmed the .01 by checking another chassis and indeed it was a .01.

Next up I will need to check the 6.8meg 5% resistor that goes to the vert hold pot, and then finally the 820k from the screen of the vert out to the pot, seems to form a voltage divider from the 300v to ground thru the vert hold pot. will also look at the 39k resistor in the feed back circuit and a couple others there as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the caps in the feed back loop on the vert board a .0039 had the fuzzy eye syndrome, the others tested ok, but the are all replaced and with 1.6 to 2 kv caps now. there was a 1.2 meg resistor that had been replaced, again on the grid circuit of the vert osc. I checked the schematic AND the other CTC-5 and both had a 1 meg there so I went a head and replaced it as well. The 6.8meg in series with the vert hold pot is over 8meg and its a 5%. I need to check my stash of resistors. I also need to check the pot while that resistor is out of the circuit.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

ah that's better all fresh caps and a couple resistors. Too late to go install it, just hope I did not goof anything up. If this fixex the v hold setting I will pull the yoke and start in on that plastic piece.
Audiokarma