Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
On Land

That's awesome... absolutely awesome!!!

I gotta ask....the photo of the chassis underside... was that taken after you did your work??? Or is that a before shot?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Charlie:

That's a before shot. The only difference now is that I changed those three tubular caps. I did not restuff any of the caps.

Steve
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
On Land

Well, in either case, it looks like brand-spankin-new under there... as if it just came off the line!!! That set certainly wasn't found in any barn... that's for sure!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
Purity pictures
I'm grabbing a red-eye to so-cal to personally make sure you didn't Photoshop those purity pics!

Pete
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Respect the tube!

What really amazes me is how they achieved rectangular color with so little under the chassis.

Me thinks they may have had the better technology....hmmm
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAkid View Post
What really amazes me is how they achieved rectangular color with so little under the chassis.

Area 51 technology?

Charlie, no barn. They had it in Warehouse 13!

Sorry, I just have had my fill of reality today.

John
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:

Did they get rectangular by extending the corners, or cutting off the sides? How does the width of this tube compare to a "21" roundie?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
RCA 741PCS

Nice job Steve

Quote:

Keep in mind that's just the chroma circuit in the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Did they get rectangular by extending the corners, or cutting off the sides? How does the width of this tube compare to a "21" roundie?
Isn't it the roundies that are cutting off the corners of the rectangular picture?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Oh man, I want one of these even more than a CT-100!

Maybe the pictures are deceiving but the chassis doesn't seem big enough for a color set! It looks like a B&W chassis that through some Voo Doo makes color pictures.
Did Madman Muntz ever work at Westinghouse?

How does it compare in size and heft to say a CTC7, (which is huge)
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
On Land

Didn't really notice this before, but looking at the top of the chassis again, I noticed they've laid out several of the larger paper/wax capacitors (perhaps .1mfd@200 or .05@600) nice and neat on top of the chassis instead of stuffing them underneath. That must make things much easier for changing caps!

Audiokarma
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Bob Galanter

I think someone at Westinghouse corporate made a very seriously bad decission back when this set was developed. The decission to scrap this color tube design and get out of color back then very likely allowed RCA to continue monopolizing the color market with roundies for years to come.

If Westinghouse had stayed the course they very likely could have taken the lead away form RCA back then, or at least prospered greatly from design royalties from this tube design.

I think it is likely that the developement of rectangular color crt's was delayed for years, while other manufacturers waited for the design patents that Westinghouse no doubt had on this tube, to expire.

What a major strategic error Westinghouse made back then to drop the production of this color tube.

The pictures you posted are nothing short of astounding Steve. FANTASTIC JOB!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Convergence freak!

Wow Steve! Amazing work and such perfect purity! I agree! If Westinghouse stuck with it they would have revolutionized the color CRT early on!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse probably made the best decision they could at the time. Between the tooling /setup charges at Corning Glass for an all new panel and funnel plus expenses tooling up the CRT plant, it would have been cost prohibitive. Apparently CBS-Hytron was months behind Westinghouse in development and was not yet in a position to share any tooling cost. Also, demand for color sets was low at the time due to lack of programming and there were high costs in purchasing and maintaining color sets. And if it is true that these tubes had to go through a overnight exhaust cycle (a typical cycle at the time was probably no more than three hours) it tells me that rejects were high, life test was poor, and CRT engineering could foresee no easy way to solve these problems, thus putting the cost per good tube out of sight. I have been in CRT engineering for over 36 years and have been in this same position. Believe me. It's no fun. I guess that's why they call it work.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Akent36,

I think that both you and John Folsom addressed the reasons that Westinghouse didn't persue futher developement of this tube quite accurately. Perhaps the right tube at the wrong time sums it up. The other factor that comes to mind is the long term reliability of this tube. While Steve K. has done a remarkable job in solving most of the convergence and purity problems, I wonder how this receiver and it's circuits, tuner, as well as the rectangular tube stood up as a daily watcher back in the 50's. Powered up for several hours each day for months may reveal short comings in picture quality and a very unhappy viewer dealing with multiple service calls. In this regard. Most of these 22" sets may have had a short life span. Westinghouse certainly would have known this very quickly and discontinued production and promotion of these sets in short order. While all early color sets required fairly frequent maintenance, the Westinghouse may have been even lower in reliability, over time, then most. I don't suggest putting this to the test. Keeping these sets in good, low hour, operating condition as long as possible should be the goal here.

-Steve .
Old 10-10-2009, 09:20 PM
On Land

I'm glad it all worked out the way it did. Think about it... had the 22" rectangular tube become the standard at that time, there would be far fewer interesting roundies. This would likely make it very difficult for us to find 21AXP's, CYP's and maybe FBP's today. It's also possible that FBP's and FJP's might have not come into existence as we know today. The 21AXP's and CYP's could have turned out to be as hard to find and a 15" round tube. Being that roundies would be so few and far between, many of us here on VK would not be today.

So, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

Audiokarma